Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

SAMBA Permission - Create File Mode - value?

Dear Forum, I am a newbie. I just configured SAMBA on picoreplayer and am looking for a value for "Create File Mode"

I initially tried 0664, then I saw on a forum 0777 in an effort to be able to mount the drive on my Windows 7 system and be able to write to it.

I am able to mount the USB attached drive on the Rasp Pi to my Windows 7 system but I can't create/delete files on the share. I am assuming I need to put in an appropriate mask value in the Create File Mode box but don't know what that is.

The drive is formatted as ext4 and mounts ok and I can read files on the drive that is mounted on the Rasp Pi from my Windows 7 system.

This will sound like I am a bit thick headed (which may be true how does one play music that is in the library? I had ripped a disc while the drive was mounted on a different system but I don't see a browse library function to be able to look at the contents of the disc? Any directions, tips, pointers greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sweiss42 View Post
    Dear Forum, I am a newbie. I just configured SAMBA on picoreplayer and am looking for a value for "Create File Mode"

I initially tried 0664, then I saw on a forum 0777 in an effort to be able to mount the drive on my Windows 7 system and be able to write to it.

I am able to mount the USB attached drive on the Rasp Pi to my Windows 7 system but I can't create/delete files on the share. I am assuming I need to put in an appropriate mask value in the Create File Mode box but don't know what that is.

The drive is formatted as ext4 and mounts ok and I can read files on the drive that is mounted on the Rasp Pi from my Windows 7 system.

This will sound like I am a bit thick headed (which may be true how does one play music that is in the library? I had ripped a disc while the drive was mounted on a different system but I don't see a browse library function to be able to look at the contents of the disc? Any directions, tips, pointers greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Steve
    I have 0664, but this is just a USB stick that I use to store my playlist folder, and the LMS cache is on there. My music files are on a network drive (WD MyCloud).

Name:  samba.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  40.4 KB

LMS > Settings > Basic settings (tab) enter the path to your music library, (better to use the "Browse" button), click "Apply" bottom right, this should kick off a scan of your music library.

Name:  basic.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  40.0 KB
    Study/Server - LMS 7.9.2 - Pi3B+/pCP 3.5.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite, 25K library and playlists on WDMyCloud, LMS cache on a USB stick (formatted ntfs).
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 3.5.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP 3.5.0 > HiFiBerry AMP+/retro radio
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 3.5.0 > Edifier R980T
    In car - RPi3B/pCP in AP mode > HiFiBerry DAC+ > car's audio (files on a 2TB USB drive)
    Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 1xBoom

Quote Originally Posted by sweiss42 View Post

Thanks
    Steve
    That's what Samba does, allows you to browse the contents.

If you keep moving the drive between windows and linux, you are going to have problems. Mount the drive on the pi, and leave it there. File mask for data files is 0664. I'm sure your drive has the permissions of the Windows machine. You will need to set the permissions on the drive.

Open an ssh session to the pi, and run

chmod -R tc.staff /mnt/<path you mounted your drive>
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Thank you!

Hi - I think I may have locked myself out using ssh via putty. I tried to login to root using variation of the password piCore and now when I putty in the screen doesn't prompt me for a login anymore. I see I have to use the Id "tc" and the pwd piCore.

I'm guessing there must be a timeout value that I have to wait before I can try and log in again.

Your suggestions makes a lot of sense. I had the drive mounted on a different OS runeaudio.com and used samba to share it. I used my windows pc (7) to burn a disk to the drive.

My ideal setup is to leave the drive permanently connected to the Pi and share it so I can use software on my PC to rip Cds to the drive on the Pi

Thanks for your help!

Steve

After 3 failed logins, the ssh session will hangup. Just reconnect, there is no account lockout
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer