Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

HELP request from pCP-Team

Hi we are working hard behind the scene to improve pCP and make a new version.

We have decided that we need a better home-page and I think we also need a more detailed help on our on-line HELP page.
    I would like detailed How-to's with screen shots, so they are easy to follow - maybe even small videos showing how to do the various tasks.

Thanks to Michael we now have a more robust server, and in the next version we will leave SourceForge as our hosting.

So I'm hoping that many of you will help producing the "how-to" do this and that with screen shots. If possible a small video would be appreciated - which we can upload to our Youtube channel and link to from the web-pages.
    If you have the possibility and maybe just have used a lot of your time trying to make pCP do whatever you wanted it to do - please make a small "how-to" and send it to us so we can add it to our HELP page.

I have noticed that we often need to help with the following - so please pick one :

• Setup Samba covered thanks to nowhinjing
    • Setup connection to a NAS
    • Connect an USB HDD covered thanks to nowhinjing
    • Spotty
    • Shairport-sync
    • AirPlay Bridge = integrate AirPlay devices with LMS (squeeze2raop)
    • UPnPBridge = integrate UPnP/DLNA players with LMS (squeeze2upnp)
    • ShairTunes2W - Airtunes on LMS (forked version with Windows support)
    • How to play DSD files
    • How to add remote control and configure it.
    • Maybe even a basic video showing how to burn a SD-card, boot for the first time and make some changes in pCP web-pages. covered thanks to nowhinjing
    • wifi - don't waste your time with this as we are changing the wifi section completely in the new pCP.

Please feel free to add other points that you would like a better "how-to".

We just need a txt version and screen-shots then we can upload it to our system.
    So if you are starting on a how-to - please state so below - then others know that this topic is covered and maybe can choose another.

/Steen
    Last edited by sbp; 2018-06-06 at 03:59.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like piCorePlayer

> - Spotty

What's the questions you get about Spotty?

--

Michael

Hi Steen / team

A genuine request, so I can not just ignore it !

Quote Originally Posted by sbp View Post
    Please feel free to add other points that you would like a better "how-to".
    /Steen
    Creating a document set that wil help noobs and starters to overcome the most obvious pitfalls is useful and builds on the quality of the product.
    I will chip in and write some parts.

As it is a niche anyway, let me write something on the setup of a cirrus logic audio card. The recent 350 version does cover it from the gui.
    So it is a basic getting started, for a particular card. that will cover generic parts too. Splitting it in multiple pages should be possible to reuse and update parts.

We just need a txt version and screen-shots then we can upload it to our system.
    So if you are starting on a how-to - please state so below - then others know that this topic is covered and maybe can choose another.
    /Steen
    Please think about a way where multiple people can add and alter the content. Building such a site with a fixed publishing staff has pros but also cons.
    If serious users are allowed to participate directly, it might take off much faster than when you have to edit all pages for whatever content is submitted.
    I recently had my first hands on encounter with a CMS and I must admit it does work OKE and we had a site up and running in a few evenings.

Other improvements I would like to suggest would be in a reshuffle of the pages in the GUI. I know it has grown to this , and rewriting does take time away from the raw progress. However some parts like the great work on a built in SAMBA, LMS and equalizer might deserve their own settings page and a more logical path to direct users to these areas.
    A new WIFI setup part was also announced somewhere, IIRC.

Howtos would need to match any such changes, so should be kept up to date
    And , perhaps, as most of us are always connected to the internet, help and howto pages could be linked from the actual gui pages.

Keep up the good work , M-H
    Pi based multi-room audio system powered by PiCorePlayer(s):
    Pi3B with Phat-dac in a Rasptouch, 2 pi B+ with Cirrus Logic Audio Card, Pi Zero with Phat-beat , and a few other tests...

piCorePlayer help

Good initiative!
    I’ve build a pCp setup with a 2004 LCD screen. It would have been nice when there was a step by step instruction how to do that. I managed by getting info from several (German and English) topics on this forum. I took some time for someone like me who isn’t skilled in Linux, Python, etc.
    For my new main pCp streamer I am trying to use an OLED screen for LMS info, but it’s hard to get some instructions.
    As I’m more capable designing 3D printed cases, as I did for my pCp - Hifiberry Digi+ - 20x4 LCD, and plan to do for my new setup, I would be willing to supply build plan for that.

P.S. If anybody can help with getting my i2c OLED to work on pCp 3.50 send me a PM or reply in the other thread https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ox-gt-Quad-FM4
    - Windows 10 (TV + LMS “server”)
    - SB Boom
    - SB Receiver
    - O2Joggler/SqueezePlay
    - DietPi-SqueezeLite/Audiophonics 9038Q2M Sabre DAC/2xOLED
    - piCorePlayer/Rpi2/Hifiberry Digi+

Glad to help ..

I can take on the "Connect an USB Disk" topic if you would like.

Are we restricted in timescale ? As I am full time carer for my wife, I would need to fit it in as and when ...

NWJ

Thank you all for you positive response, we don't have any narrow timescale, any contribution at any time is appreciated.

we don't have a CMS system, but we are discussing internally in the team how we can support this development best.
    One option we are considering is to give a few dedicated persons that would like to help with this task access to our git system.

Et Voila !

Thank you all for you positive response, we don't have any narrow timescale, any contribution at any time is appreciated.

we don't have a CMS system, but we are discussing internally in the team how we can support this development best.
    One option we are considering is to give a few dedicated persons that would like to help with this task access to our git system.
    I have prepared an 'How To' for your perusal giving instructions on how to load LMS on the piCorePlayer. This can be seen at :
    Code:
    http://picoreplayer.site/htlms.html
    and covers installing LMS, adding an USB disk and setting up Samba. Please let me have your feedback and suggestions for improvement - I try to make this an ego-less exercise.

If you wish to download the raw html + images, this is available at :
    Code:
    http://picoreplayer.site/picorefiles/piCoreLMS.zip
    @sbp - did you get my PM sent about a week ago about hosting and a possible CMS ?

Let's make piCorePlayer great (again).

NWJ

Quote Originally Posted by nowhinjing View Post
    I have prepared an 'How To' for your perusal giving instructions on how to load LMS on the piCorePlayer. This can be seen at :
    Code:
    http://picoreplayer.site/htlms.html
    and covers installing LMS, adding an USB disk and setting up Samba. Please let me have your feedback and suggestions for improvement - I try to make this an ego-less exercise.

If you wish to download the raw html + images, this is available at :
    Code:
    http://picoreplayer.site/picorefiles/piCoreLMS.zip
    @sbp - did you get my PM sent about a week ago about hosting and a possible CMS ?

Let's make piCorePlayer great (again).

NWJ
    THANK you very much. This was exactly the type of "HOW-TO" that I was looking for with lots of informative images to show the steps.

And I'm really sorry for not answering your PM. I needed to consult with Paul, and then I completely forgot to give you an answer. As you know we have been using SourceForge, but it is rather unstable from time to time, therefore we are in a process of moving away from SF.
    So we have bought our own domaine and Michael has been helping us with setting up a system where he allow us to use space on his server for our web-pages as well as a download area for pCP. Therefore, we are rearranging all our pages and download locations for the next version. In this process we also would like to improve on our web-pages and help pages - so your contribution is highly appreciated.

Regarding your kind offer to host pCP - I think that we could always use a mirror site, just as Paul and you have been working on already. Our new system seems much better already compared with the old one, so hopefully there shouldn't be too much traffic on a mirror site.