Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thread: Help PAM8203A

Help PAM8203A

Hello

I badly need your help
    I own the amplifactor PAM8302 from Adafruit:

https://shop.mchobby.be/breakout/526...eur&results=40

I have a Pi zero with a Phat Dac sound card:

Name:  29134087_10160137492410123_1588966100828160_n.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  117.0 KB

As I use a passive speaker I wanted to connect the PAM8302 except that I do not know how to connect it to my Pi zero with Phat Dac.

Could you tell me or connect it on GPIO or other?

Thank you in advance.

Looking at the image of this thing I'd say to just connect the output of your DAC to the "audio in +" and the "ground" pins of the supplied header, getting 5v from the PhatDAC header, to also connect to the "ground" pin and the "2-5VDC" pin (https://pinout.xyz/pinout/phat_dac)
    Name:  2130-03.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  215.5 KB
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

hello i use this topic :
    https://learn.adafruit.com/assets/27356
    all works great
    thank you so much for your help

Quote Originally Posted by medapayne View Post
    Hello

I badly need your help
    I own the amplifactor PAM8302 from Adafruit:

I have a Pi zero with a Phat Dac sound card:

As I use a passive speaker I wanted to connect the PAM8302 except that I do not know how to connect it to my Pi zero with Phat Dac.

Could you tell me or connect it on GPIO or other?

Thank you in advance.
    Hi medapayne

I notice a few problems from your post:

The phat dac is a Stereo DAC outputting a line level. If you connect the speaker directly as shown, you should not hear it unless you are at 10 cm in a quiet room.
    Also you use a mono ( 2 connections ) 3.5 mm plug into the stereo ( 3 connections ) socket of the phat dac. So you short 1 channel output and pick up the other channel.
    I tried to connect an external smal D-amp to the phat dac a few times. All failed because of ground loop and power interference issues .
    So your adafruit amp can be used, but I fear your audio quality will be poor unless you use 2 separate power supplies.

A faster ready made solution could be the phat beat from the same maker. It has builtin speaker amps that will allow you to just connect the passive speaker. Even 2 pcs if you want stereo. I used it to drive big speakers at modest output levels, but with great pleasure
    Similar the speaker phat, has 1 mono amp of 2 watts and an small speaker included.

Good Luck M-H
    Pi based multi-room audio system powered by PiCorePlayer(s):
    Pi3B with Phat-dac in a Rasptouch, 2 pi B+ with Cirrus Logic Audio Card, Pi Zero with Phat-beat , and a few other tests...