Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Relative paths in playlists

I've recently switched LMS from my old Mac mini to a Raspberry Pi 3B+. None of my playlists work, because the paths are different between the Mac and the Rpi. I'm quite happy working my way through the playlist files to do a global find and replace. But I'm wondering if I can future-proof this a little bit by making the paths relative rather than absolute.

If I have a disk mounted as /mnt/Audio, and on that disk I have a folder called 'Music' and a folder called 'Playlists', then can any playlists in the Playlists folder refer to music files in the Music folder as file:../Music ? I can't seem to make this work, but referring to file:///mnt/Audio/Music works fine. What do those three slashes in front of 'mnt' do, and how many of them should I have before '../Music'?

Supplementary question - if it IS possible to get LMS to *understand* relative paths somehow, is it also possible to make LMS *write* relative paths when it creates or modifies playlists? If not, there wouldn't really be much point in moving my old playlists to relative paths because new playlists would always be absolute, and I'd get in a right mess.

I solved that issue by making mount points identical Whnever I do a hardware migration my music will always be on /mnt/music and playlists on /mnt/playlists.
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

Sure, but would that work on a Mac or Windows server? On my Mac mini, the paths all start with ///Volumes/Audio. On a Windows system they'd all start with a drive letter.

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    Sure, but would that work on a Mac or Windows server? On my Mac mini, the paths all start with ///Volumes/Audio. On a Windows system they'd all start with a drive letter.
    Hmmm, that's true. I've left the world of windows quite some time ago for file storage and LMS and this is among the reasons why.
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

In the end, all it took was a single perl command to change the paths in all my playlists. It no longer seems worth the bother of making my playlists future-proof if it's only going to save me another similar command whenever that future arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by bakker_be View Post
    I solved that issue by making mount points identical Whnever I do a hardware migration my music will always be on /mnt/music and playlists on /mnt/playlists.
    If your system produces different mountpoints you can still fix it after the event with symlinks and a rescan (not for Windows though)
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng