Is it possible to disable the mysb.com integration completely on the Touch?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silentcreek
    • Jun 2014

> If I stop the local server from the menu, the retries wll be avoided.
    > But then again, the local server will start again after every reboot of
    > the Touch.

This would only happen if you left a USB stick/HD or a SD card plugged
    in. There's no reason to do so unless you actually want to use the
    built-in LMS. Just remove it.

> Is there a silent way of stopping/disabling the local server on the
    > Touch?

If removing the storage for whatever reason isn't a solution for you
    it'll become a bit more complicated. I don't remember the details. But I
    think the logic is in some of the .lua file (Squeezeplay code). See eg.

it might be enough to disable line 63, where squeezecenterStartupCheck
    is being called. That startup check would see whether there was storage
    available, and would use it with LMS.

--

Michael
  • silentcreek
    • Jun 2014

Hi,

I know in more recent versions of Logitech Media Server it's possible to turn off the mysqueezebox.com or mysb.com integration. Is it possible to do the same on the Squeezebox Touch, e.g. by editing files/startup scripts on the device itself?

The reason I ask is that I have put my Touch into an isolated network without internet access. Currently, my DHCP server will hand out a broken DNS configuration to the Touch so it cannot resolve the MySB domain name and thus doesn't try to connect to the service. While that works, it generates a few error messages in the log file of the Touch, complaining that the domain name couldn't be resolved and would be retried a later point as well. Despite the log messages that I check over SSH, the device will work fine and not show any errors on the screen. So, it's not a real "issue" but it would be nicer to have a clean solution, i.e. the Touch wouldn't even try to resolve the domain name in the first place.

Thanks,

Timo

Comment

• mherger
      Babelfish's Best Boy
      • Apr 2005

Is it possible to disable the mysb.comintegration completely on the Touch?

> I know in more recent versions of Logitech Media Server it's possible to
      > turn off the mysqueezebox.com or mysb.com integration. Is it possible to
      > do the same on the Squeezebox Touch, e.g. by editing files/startup
      > scripts on the device itself?

Running off Touch's embedded server? No, you can't.

--

Michael
      Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
      (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• silentcreek
        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by mherger
        > I know in more recent versions of Logitech Media Server it's possible to
        > turn off the mysqueezebox.com or mysb.com integration. Is it possible to
        > do the same on the Squeezebox Touch, e.g. by editing files/startup
        > scripts on the device itself?

Running off Touch's embedded server? No, you can't.
        Sorry, I forgot to mention this, but I have a local server running LMS that the SB Touch is connected to. I don't use the integrated server on the SB Touch.

P.S.: And if it matters... The local server running LMS does have internet access. It's just the Touch that is put in a "jail".
        Last edited by silentcreek; 2018-05-08, 19:02.

Comment

• mherger
          Babelfish's Best Boy
          • Apr 2005

Is it possible to disable the mysb.comintegration completely on the Touch?

You can run LMS with the --nomysqueezebox parameter to disable all
          mysb.com interaction on the server.

What errors would you still get on the Touch?

--

Michael
          Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
          (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• silentcreek
            • Jun 2014

You can run LMS with the --nomysqueezebox parameter to disable all
            mysb.com interaction on the server.

What errors would you still get on the Touch?
            Even if the LMS instance is started with --nomysqueezebox, the Touch will still try to connect to mysb.com since the local slimserver starts after every reboot despite not being used. The log /var/log/messages on the Touch will show messages like these:
            Code:
            May  9 21:13:46 slimserver.pl: [18-05-09 21:13:46.9323] Slim::Plugin::RhapsodyDirect::Plugin::__ANON__ (134) Unable to resolve address for secure-direct.rhapsody.com
            May  9 21:13:46 slimserver.pl: [18-05-09 21:13:46.9462] Slim::Formats::XML::gotErrorViaHTTP (347) Error: getting http://www.mysqueezebox.com/api/sounds/v1/opml Couldn't resolve IP address for: www.mysqueezebox.com
            May  9 21:13:46 slimserver.pl: [18-05-09 21:13:46.9596] Slim::Plugin::Sounds::Plugin::_gotSoundsError (83) Error: Unable to cache Sounds & Effects menu from SN: Couldn't resolve IP address for: www.mysqueezebox.com
            May  9 21:13:48 slimserver.pl: [18-05-09 21:13:48.9429] Slim::Plugin::InternetRadio::Plugin::_gotRadioError (105) Unable to retrieve radio directory from SN: Couldn't resolve IP address for: www.mysqueezebox.com
            May  9 21:13:48 slimserver.pl: [18-05-09 21:13:48.9564] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::_error (596) Unable to login to SN: Couldn't resolve IP address for: www.mysqueezebox.com
            May  9 21:13:48 slimserver.pl: [18-05-09 21:13:48.9672] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::_init_error (209) Unable to login to mysqueezebox.com, sync is disabled: Couldn't resolve IP address for: www.mysqueezebox.com (http://www.mysqueezebox.com)
            May  9 21:13:48 slimserver.pl: [18-05-09 21:13:48.9790] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::_init_error (223) mysqueezebox.com sync init failed: Couldn't resolve IP address for: www.mysqueezebox.com, will retry in 28800 (http://www.mysqueezebox.com)
            If I stop the local server from the menu, the retries wll be avoided. But then again, the local server will start again after every reboot of the Touch.

I played around a little bit with the init scripts to see if there is a clean way of disabling the local server. So far, I haven't found a really clean way, but something close:
            I replaced all actions in /etc/init.d/squeezecenter with calls of /bin/true so the server won't be started. That will produce no error messages in the log file after a reboot, but the Touch will show an error message on the screen after the reboot saying that the local server has been stopped due to an error. After hitting "OK", I can use the Touch and everything works fine.

Is there a silent way of stopping/disabling the local server on the Touch?

Comment

• silentcreek
              • Jun 2014

> If I stop the local server from the menu, the retries wll be avoided.
              > But then again, the local server will start again after every reboot of
              > the Touch.

This would only happen if you left a USB stick/HD or a SD card plugged
              in. There's no reason to do so unless you actually want to use the
              built-in LMS. Just remove it.
              Good catch!
              Yes, I have an SD card in the Touch - for an unconventional purpose: I have a swap file on the SD card that gets mounted as swap via a custom squeezeos-boot.sh. The reason I have that is that a long time ago I encountered some (reproducible) out of memory exceptions on the Touch, e.g. when going through the various playback visualizations. But back then, I still used the internal server (which must have been like 4-5 years ago). So, it might probably be safe to just remove the card as I use a seperate LMS instance. I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

Comment

• silentcreek
                • Jun 2014

Ok, so after several reboots, listening to music, and so on, I can confirm: no more error messages or failed connections attempts to mysb.com on the SB Touch. Without the SD card inserted, the local server won't start and RAM usage seems fine too (the maximum I saw was ~75MB which should leave enough headroom for normal operation).

Thanks, Michael, for your help and continued support for the SB/LMS platform!

Comment

• AF1
                  • Jul 2010

Just wanted to add my 'solution' in case somebody with the same problem reads this:

my LMS is started with --nomysqueezebox and has no permanent internet access. My SBTouch has no SD card inserted.
                  My log showed fab4.squeezenetwork.com entries ~every 3 seconds.

Adding 127.0.0.1 squeezenetwork.com to the /etc/hosts file on my SBTouch or commenting line 63 of the file mentioned above had no effect.

The only thing that helped eventually was setting the SN hostname to "" in line 71 of /usr/share/jive/applets/SqueezeboxFab4/SqueezeboxFab4Meta.lua
                  So at least I think this is what made a difference in the end.

P.S. On my Radio I only had to add 127.0.0.1 squeezenetwork.com to the hosts file.
                  Last edited by AF1; 2020-07-01, 20:43.
                  Report a problem

Comment

Working...