Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Squeezebox v3 (Classic) remote repair kit

Two of my five SB3 remotes died recently and another was only partly functional (some buttons not working), due to bad PCBs, so I had little choice but to design and have made a new PCB to repair them.

In case anyone else is in the same boat, I have made my boards available, pre-assembled with all but the IC (can't find a source for them!). You'll find them at the following link, and the one after that is a YouTube video showing how to replace the old PCB with my new one (also linked in the first listing):
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/202304742597
    https://youtu.be/5fZ9gjYHB8M

If you want to PM me directly you'll save 10% by avoiding 'final sale' fees. Don't be worried because only one is listed; I'm just 'testing the waters', and if that one goes quickly I'll assemble some more.

For the tech-heads amongst you, I've also attached the circuit diagram ('schematic' in countries speaking Pidgin English :-) of the remote.

SB3_remote0_DSN.pdf
    Regards,
    Daniel
    (Gerroa, Australia)

Awesome! With this kind of initiatives squeezebox will outlive the next few decades
    SqueezeBoxes: 2x SB2 (Living room and study), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Bedroom)
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, D-Link Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

That looks like a beautiful product. Now I need someone to come up with a similar solution to restore my SB3.
    Sounds like you have a lot of experience fixing/understanding Slim Devices components.

Can you do the same for an SB3? Mine keeps re-booting every few minutes..
    I have tried 3 different PSU. Also tried it with just an Ethernet connection (wifi card removed). Here is a picture, before I tried a replacement wifi card.

Seriously, this might be a new market opportunity, if you could produce an SB3 PCB with the same components (ie new Caps) already soldered on the PcB.
    Name:  SB3 circuit board wifi clips marked.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  256.5 KB
    Last edited by chamonix; 2018-05-07 at 15:19.

Sorry, but a replacement SB3 main board is not going to happen, from me at least. Compared to reverse-engineering a single- (or even double-) sided PCA, doing that for a multi-layer PCA is a horrendous task. It would never repay the development cost, given the niche market it's for.

Even the replacement remote PCA has not/will not repay its cost (huge PCB manufacturing setup cost for blind vias and gold finish!). The only reason I did it was that I had to because I had so many non-working remotes and didn't want to spend money on second-hand replacements that might also be on their last legs.

Of course, if Logitech would send me their full circuit diagrams for the SB3 (about as likely as finding a way to turn lead into gold!), that would make a replacement PCB a relatively simple design task, but despite Logitech not making them anymore, for some reason they seem reluctant to support existing users.

Now, getting to your SB3 that frequently reboots, I have a suggestion. Some time ago I had one of my SB3s that would occasionally reboot for no apparent reason (not often; maybe once per month or so). I suspected a power supply problem, and swapped the plug-pack for one from another of my SB3s. Fixed it – no more reboots. So then I put the 'suspect' power pack on the bench and tested it – seemed fine: correct voltage even under load.

After a bit more swapping back-and-forth and confirming that one was reliable and the other not, I eventually noticed something different about the DC connectors. The 'dodgy' one had the old-style 'barrel' connector, and the reliable one had the much better 'fork-style' connector. It then seemed only logical – the barrel style has no springiness to ensure positive contact with the centre pin of the mating connector, and sufficient vibration will cause it to momentarily lose contact, causing the SB3 to reboot.

Thereafter I went round ALL my devices (not just SB3s) that use DC connectors, and replaced all barrel style ones with fork-style ones. Subsequently, I came across this YouTube video that demonstrates the problem beautifully:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YizLzyQ2PQ

Maybe your frequently-rebooting SB3 has one of these 'bad' connectors, and is subject to more vibration than mine was, and thus reboots more frequently?

Daniel
    Last edited by DanielTheGreat; 2018-05-08 at 00:57.
    Regards,
    Daniel
    (Gerroa, Australia)

I have 4 PSUs that I have been swapping around with this bad SB3 . No fix. The same PSUs work fine with my second SB3, that I bought in 2006 . But thanks for any ideas.

My 3 SB3 remotes look quite different than your PCB or unit pictured in your You Tube link.
    Last edited by chamonix; 2018-05-09 at 08:24.

Quote Originally Posted by chamonix View Post
    My 3 SB3 remotes look quite different than your PCB or unit pictured in your You Tube link.
    You have me intrigued about your 'different' remotes. The white one in my video, branded 'Slim Devices' as you saw, came (2 off) with the two original Squeezebox 3 units I bought on sale from Logitech just after they bought Slim Devices. Subsequent Logitech-branded SB3 remotes, apart from being black, are identical inside and out to the original Slim Devices ones.

Perhaps if you post a photo of your remote, someone here with experience of Squeezeboxes other than the SB3 might be able to tell you which model they were intended for. I would guess there might be some considerable overlap with the command codes for different models, such that the remote from one model would probably still perform the basic operations on a different model.

Daniel
    Regards,
    Daniel
    (Gerroa, Australia)

Here is a picture of one of the remotes for my three SB3s. It looks quite different than yours. These are the type of remotes that came with the first two SB3s I bought directly from Slim Devices in 2006.
    I had to upload this to a picture hosting site. The Squeezbox forum wouldn't let me upload any images yesterday

SB3 remote by pulsarrcpilot, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by chamonix View Post
    Here is a picture of one of the remotes for my three SB3s. It looks quite different than yours. These are the type of remotes that came with the first two SB3s I bought directly from Slim Devices in 2006.
    I had to upload this to a picture hosting site. The Squeezbox forum wouldn't let me upload any images yesterday

SB3 remote by pulsarrcpilot, on Flickr
    This style of remote was suppl;ied with SB2 (and possibly SB1) and early days of SB3 which was essentially just a redesign of SB2. Remote were then redesigned into the Mars bar shape and supplied with SB3, Transporter etc. There are a few different button layout for mars type remotes.

edit:

From 2003 - it looks remote first came with SliMP3 https://web.archive.org/web/20030323...devices.com:80
    Last edited by bpa; 2018-05-09 at 12:11.

Here is a page from my 2006 Slim Designs manual for the Squeezebox..

[IMG]SB manual page by pulsarrcpilot, on Flickr[/IMG]

I have an early version of the Slimdevices SB3 with the non-mars remote pictured above. Interestingly, it has exhibited all the same aging faults as its mars bar successor detailed in the OP. My solution has been to replace it with a Logitech Harmony universal remote, but hats off to the OP for his very original solution to the dying remote problem!