Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    Sorry my bad, still same applies

Specs for the TAS5756M are here http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tas5756m.pdf

Power Output 28W/ch @ 8Ohms @ 24V
    Power Output 20W/ch @ 4Ohms @ 24V

Azur 340A 40W @ 8ohm, 50W @ 4Ohms

Jeff
    Very good with the chip known , you can get at something .
    Wonder why hiffiberry limits the voltage and recomend 18v supply is to protect the pi itself ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Very good with the chip known , you can get at something .
    Wonder why hiffiberry limits the voltage and recomend 18v supply is to protect the pi itself ?
    Hifiberry seem to recomend 18v for both 4 and 8 ohm speakers (less than 18w/ch for both 4&8 Ohm) which is unusual, but maybe hifiberries thermal dissapption is compromised somehow.

Don't get me wrong, I like and use Class D(T) amps a lot and they're very good but I use larger ones (Hifimediy T2's mostly)

Still think this is a downgrade though but if size is the reason........

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff07971; 2018-04-27 at 05:14. Reason: 18 not 19v !
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLite-X,PiCorePlayer x3
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 7.5 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U2 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLite-X
    Music: 522GB,1660 albums with 23087 songs by 5204 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    I think the rating is 12-18 volt supply I would not go over that .

What kind of speakers ore we trying to drive ?
    Mordaunt-Short 902i - so 8 ohm. Daniel of Hifiberry says 24v might be better but is not necessary. So I'll stick with their recommended adapter.

Hifiberry seem to recomend 18v for both 4 and 8 ohm speakers (less than 18w/ch for both 4&8 Ohm) which is unusual, but maybe hifiberries thermal dissapption is compromised somehow.

Don't get me wrong, I like and use Class D(T) amps a lot and they're very good but I use larger ones (Hifimediy T2's mostly)

Still think this is a downgrade though but if size is the reason........

Jeff
    I'm expecting it to be worse too. And let's see how it plays out. I'll post it here.

Quote Originally Posted by toplard View Post
    Mordaunt-Short 902i - so 8 ohm. Daniel of Hifiberry says 24v might be better but is not necessary. So I'll stick with their recommended adapter.
    Yes if read the TI paper on the chip it seems that voltage is the limit for higher impedance speakers .
    And it’s current limited at lower impedance.
    Not surprising.

Hopefully it performs “good enough” for the purpose .

My secondary system is probably worse , but fit for purpose , I’m using small active foster speakers to lessen the clutter .
    ( inspired by this I think I move my much better Adam speakers from the computer out there instead )
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

Sorry my bad, still same applies

Specs for the TAS5756M are here http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tas5756m.pdf

Power Output 28W/ch @ 8Ohms @ 24V
    Power Output 20W/ch @ 4Ohms @ 24V

Azur 340A 40W/ch @ 8ohm, 50W/ch @ 4Ohms

Jeff
    Good hint on the Azur thx. Couldn't find that detail yet. Its on order with reco'd 18v PSU. So we'll see empirically (will try to be objective). BTW, using the Azur in my setup is uncomfortable over half volume on the amp control. Not sure if control is linear on volume or quality?

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by toplard View Post
    Good hint on the Azur thx. Couldn't find that detail yet. Its on order with reco'd 18v PSU. So we'll see empirically (will try to be objective). BTW, using the Azur in my setup is uncomfortable over half volume on the amp control. Not sure if control is linear on volume or quality?

Where the volume control is does not really say anything , it’s like in spinal tap where a guy has a guitar amp that goes to eleven instead of ten neither source output voltages or input sensitivity and gain is standardised .

IMO using more than half the volume knob is good the pot is more linear there , hence the azur could be sensible designed to not have to much gain ei you have to twiddle the knob more .
    In practice most amp has to much gain so you don’t have as much margin as think , with a strong source it’s clips and misbehave long before you reach the and of the volume control .
    To much gain is usually for two reasons people can have old analog sources with 0,25-0,5 volt output or less , think cassette deck old tuner vhs player . A CD or squeezebox is about 2,0 to 2,5 volt.
    And it’s impressive to the noob in the shop when the amp is “loud” whit just a little bit of volume

FWIW, I am using a Kinter MA-170 for my desktop ... says 2 x 18w ... ( $10.00 from parts express ! ) enough juice for the desktop ..

Here's a brief upshot of the AMP as a replacement for a Cambridge Azur 340A:

1) it certainly has enough volume, and gets uncomfortable in my room at 70%(Azur was 50%)
    2) no definable difference in sound quality
    3) it sounds subtly different in general, but too intangible to say

Result? I'm amazed. I cannot safely say the "watts" are worse than on the traditional Azur, with all due respect to you good folks commenting here. So much so that I don't think it necessary to revert to the old setup to re-test.

So go for it. My lounge looks that much the 'cleaner' for it - just speakers!

By all means be brutal with your questions and I'll go and test them.

BTW (on a tangent I've substituted Squeeze Commander for Squeezer, as my phone is now on secure BYOD. Pity, but Squeezer is good too. Wish Android had iPeng)