Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stream to LMS?

Stream to LMS?

Hi,

Can anyone help me sort out how to stream from my (Xubuntu 18.04) laptop apps to LMS on the RPi, please?

As a complete novice to this type of thing I managed to get LMS up and running to 'power' my synced Raspberry Pi system using Moode & IQaudio

Despite what it says in the link, now I only use LMS installed on a RPi with the music on an external hard disk

What I have never worked out, is how to stream music from my Laptop to the LMS RPi (and hence out to the Moode RPi's)
    Mostly I use the RPi LMS to play the music, but sometimes I'd like to use other apps on my Laptop

I worked out how to use pulseaudio-dlna to stream to individual Moode RPi's but I want to use the synchronisation of LMS

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks

Leigh

Solved! I used pulseaudio-dlna, see posts #4, #10 & #21
    Thanks for all the help
    Last edited by LeighS; 2018-04-28 at 03:08. Reason: Solved, hope this edit helps others in future

Quote Originally Posted by LeighS View Post
    Hi,

Can anyone help me sort out how to stream from my (Xubuntu 18.04) laptop apps to LMS on the RPi, please?

As a complete novice to this type of thing I managed to get LMS up and running to 'power' my synced Raspberry Pi system using Moode & IQaudio

Despite what it says in the link, now I only use LMS installed on a RPi with the music on an external hard disk

What I have never worked out, is how to stream music from my Laptop to the LMS RPi (and hence out to the Moode RPi's)
    Mostly I use the RPi LMS to play the music, but sometimes I'd like to use other apps on my Laptop

I worked out how to use pulseaudio-dlna to stream to individual Moode RPi's but I want to use the synchronisation of LMS

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks

Leigh
    What are you trying to stream? I'm thinking you may have this backwards in your mind. You stream FROM LMS to endpoints (and the endpoint could be on same machine as LMS). For example, with the RPi, running LMS, you can point the LMS settings to your music files on the laptop or on a NAS and play your own music. If you want to stream internet radio, you'd set up favorites or choose stations within LMS. If you want Pandora, Tidal, etc. just install the plugins you need in LMS > Settings.

edit: if you want to stream sounds from your laptop that don't normally play from LMS, you can set up "stream what you hear" program on your laptop (if windows OS). Then you have a URL stream (from stream what you hear) saved as a favorite on LMS to play whatever is playing on your laptop. I use this to listen to SiriusXM via LMS. See:
    http://www.streamwhatyouhear.com/
    Last edited by garym; 2018-04-24 at 15:13.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    What are you trying to stream? I'm thinking you may have this backwards in your mind. You stream FROM LMS to endpoints (and the endpoint could be on same machine as LMS). For example, with the RPi, running LMS, you can point the LMS settings to your music files on the laptop or on a NAS and play your own music. If you want to stream internet radio, you'd set up favorites or choose stations within LMS. If you want Pandora, Tidal, etc. just install the plugins you need in LMS > Settings.

edit: if you want to stream sounds from your laptop that don't normally play from LMS, you can set up "stream what you hear" program on your laptop (if windows OS). Then you have a URL stream (from stream what you hear) saved as a favorite on LMS to play whatever is playing on your laptop. I use this to listen to SiriusXM via LMS. See:
    Thanks,

Your edit is what I would like:

I currently have LMS on a Raspberry Pi server with my music on a disc that streams to other Raspberry Pi endpoints with DAC cards around the house.

I have a Linux laptop from which I would also like to stream music to the server Raspberry Pi, and hence out to the other Rasperry Pi endpoints

So what I need is something like what you describe (streamwhatyouhear) for Linux

Maybe I can use pulseaudio-dnla to stream to LMS?
    But I don't know how to set that up,
    Maybe your suggestion of using the URL stream would work?

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post

Thanks,

Your edit is what I would like, but I have Linux (Xubuntu)

I use pulseaudio-dlna to stream to the individual endpoint Raspberry Pi's but would like to stream to the LMS Raspberry pi (and hence out to all endpoints)

However, pulseaudio-dlna doesnt find the LMS
    I have the 'UPnP/DNLA Media Interface' plugin activated, but pulseaudio-dlna still doesnt find LMS
    (I think the other 'UPnP/DNLA Bridge' plugin is for players although I have also tried activating this one as well)

Any ideas?
    Even an alternative way of streaming in Linux?

Thanks,

Your edit is what I would like:

I currently have LMS on a Raspberry Pi server with my music on a disc that streams to other Raspberry Pi endpoints with DAC cards around the house.

I have a Linux laptop from which I would also like to stream music to the server Raspberry Pi, and hence out to the other Rasperry Pi endpoints

So what I need is something like what you describe (streamwhatyouhear) for Linux

Maybe I can use pulseaudio-dnla to stream to LMS?
    But I don't know how to set that up,
    Maybe your suggestion of using the URL stream would work?
    Maybe GOOGLE that ?

https://michaelfranzl.com/2013/11/25/audio-streaming/

Jeff

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

There are lots of options.

1. Easiest is to use VLC to convert Xubuntu audio streram to a http/mp3 styream and then play the mp3 stream from LMS like a Radio.
    2. Use pulse audio to remote the audio of xubuntu to the Pi (assuming pulse audio is also on PUI you don't say which OS is on LMS Pi) and then modify the waveinput plugin to stream pulseaudio WAV into LMS.
    3. Use nc/netcat to stream WAV audio fropm xubuntu system onto a TCP connection - modify the waveinput plugin to open the NC connection and stream the WAV into LMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    Thanks Jeff, will see what I can find with that phrase

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    There are lots of options.

1. Easiest is to use VLC to convert Xubuntu audio streram to a http/mp3 styream and then play the mp3 stream from LMS like a Radio.
    2. Use pulse audio to remote the audio of xubuntu to the Pi (assuming pulse audio is also on PUI you don't say which OS is on LMS Pi) and then modify the waveinput plugin to stream pulseaudio WAV into LMS.
    3. Use nc/netcat to stream WAV audio fropm xubuntu system onto a TCP connection - modify the waveinput plugin to open the NC connection and stream the WAV into LMS.

Thanks.
    1. Can I use VLC to stream any audio from Xubuntu, or only that from VLC?
    2. The LMS RPi has Raspbian Stretch on it- any links on how to do this? If modifying a plugin is not very easy it is probably beyond me :-)

Also, can you explain why I can use pulseaudio-dnla to stream to the endpoints but not to LMS?

Thanks.
    1. Can I use VLC to stream any audio from Xubuntu, or only that from VLC?
    In theory any audio -by using "audio capture" as the source - I can't say hpow well it works on your system but you can try it out with no effort.

If your skills with Linux & pulseaudio are limited stick with this.

2. The LMS RPi has Raspbian Stretch on it- any links on how to do this? If modifying a plugin is not very easy it is probably beyond me :-)
    The plugin modification is only you need to find the "right" command using parecord to save an WAV stream - then edit the plugin custom-convert.conf file and change the "arecord" so it uses parecord and instead of saving the stream it is piped into LMS.

Google remote pulseaudio returns many links. This one for example http://serendipity.ruwenzori.net/ind...o-the-easy-way

Also, can you explain why I can use pulseaudio-dnla to stream to the endpoints but not to LMS?
    No idea as I don't what the endpoints (Moode RPi?) are doing to play in DLNA terms (iu.e. details on the DLNA rendering abilities)

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    In theory any audio -by using "audio capture" as the source - I can't say hpow well it works on your system but you can try it out with no effort.

If your skills with Linux & pulseaudio are limited stick with this.

The plugin modification is only you need to find the "right" command using parecord to save an WAV stream - then edit the plugin custom-convert.conf file and change the "arecord" so it uses parecord and instead of saving the stream it is piped into LMS.

Google remote pulseaudio returns many links. This one for example http://serendipity.ruwenzori.net/ind...o-the-easy-way

No idea as I don't what the endpoints (Moode RPi?) are doing to play in DLNA terms (iu.e. details on the DLNA rendering abilities)
    Thanks,

But I got it to work with pulseaudio-dnla!!! ...... much more by luck than by judgement :-)

In each Moode RPi for some reason I had all three of the below enabled (info cut and paste from Moode settings, they mean nothing to me):

1. Squeezelite renderer by Adrian Smith and Ralph Irving (triode).
    2. UPnP renderer - Upmpdcli (UPnP Client for MPD) by Jean-Francois Dockes.
    - Supports Open Home Media (ohMedia).
    - Provides album art via upexplorer.
    3. DLNA server (miniDLNA) by Justin Maggard.

I disabled 2. and 3. and then when I selected any of the pulseaudio-dnla sinks (corresponding to each Rpi Moode endpoint) in pavucontrol it played through all of the Rpi Moode endpoints, and showed up in the LMS now playing http://i.imgur.com/UMPNGQe.png (Lollypop is the music player app)

So, I have no idea why or how it is working, but its a really simple method on Linux, well it must be as I managed it and I am pretty simple :-)

That has made me very happy