Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Hilarity Never Stops

I know that many of us here find the high end magazines to be rather worthless as far as their equipment reviews are concerned but they often provide some good laughs. Here is small sample of the hilarity to be found in the latest (May 2018) issue of Stereophile:

Equipment under review: LG V30 Smartphone with MQA

Reviewer: Jason Victor Serinus

Quote from "Conclusions":

"Forced to chose among listening through headphones to the LG V30 or to the Bel Canto Design Black ACI 600 all-in-one integrated amplifier I reviewed in April ($24,900), or through loudspeakers to the Aurender A 10 network music player/server ($5500) in my main system, I'd choose the LG V30.

Musically speaking, the LG V30 phone doesn't qualify as merely smart; LG's implementation of its Hi-Fi Quad DAC is a work of genius. If ever there were a device that could bring the experience of high-end sound to millions of music lovers, the hi-rez V30 with MQA is it. It's more than a game changer. For its audiophile sound quality and its smartphone portability - a combination that may prove unbeatable - it belongs in Stereophile's 'Recommended Components' in a Class A catagory all its own. Now, if only Apple could see the light and release a similar product."

After reading the above I was left speechless and laughing hysterically. For that I feel that my subscription to Stereophile is well worth the $1 per issue price.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

I can imagine there are many parts of the audio business dream of the day such a big player like Apple jumps on MQA.
    Looks like a plump attempt to convince Apple customers they need it.
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    I can imagine there are many parts of the audio business dream of the day such a big player like Apple jumps on MQA.
    Looks like a plump attempt to convince Apple customers they need it.
    Very interesting. I didn't see that connection until you pointed it out. MQA is going the way of the Tice Clock. At present we are in the circle the wagons part but there will be breaks in the chain. I think that The Absolute Sound will be the first to jump ship on MQA. Atkinson will defend his fellow countrymen to the bitter end.
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by ralphpnj View Post
    After reading the above I was left speechless and laughing hysterically. For that I feel that my subscription to Stereophile is well worth the $1 per issue price.
    Barely, just read it next time you visit Barnes & Noble. Imagine how betrayed all those people who went out and purchased the "Bel Canto Design Black ACI 600 all-in-one integrated amplifier he reviewed in April" must feel now being told they could have saved $24,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    Barely, just read it next time you visit Barnes & Noble. Imagine how betrayed all those people who went out and purchased the "Bel Canto Design Black ACI 600 all-in-one integrated amplifier he reviewed in April" must feel now being told they could have saved $24,000.
    Funny thing is that one can stream 24/96 flac files to an iPhone via iPeng and send the bit perfect digital output to a portable DAC like the Dragonfly or the Oppo HA-2 for similar setup and all without MQA.
    Last.fm

My quick take...

I know that many of us here find the high end magazines to be rather worthless as far as their equipment reviews are concerned but they often provide some good laughs. Here is small sample of the hilarity to be found in the latest (May 2018) issue of Stereophile:

Equipment under review: LG V30 Smartphone with MQA

Reviewer: Jason Victor Serinus

Quote from "Conclusions":

"Forced to chose among listening through headphones to the LG V30 or to the Bel Canto Design Black ACI 600 all-in-one integrated amplifier I reviewed in April ($24,900), or through loudspeakers to the Aurender A 10 network music player/server ($5500) in my main system, I'd choose the LG V30.

Musically speaking, the LG V30 phone doesn't qualify as merely smart; LG's implementation of its Hi-Fi Quad DAC is a work of genius. If ever there were a device that could bring the experience of high-end sound to millions of music lovers, the hi-rez V30 with MQA is it. It's more than a game changer. For its audiophile sound quality and its smartphone portability - a combination that may prove unbeatable - it belongs in Stereophile's 'Recommended Components' in a Class A catagory all its own. Now, if only Apple could see the light and release a similar product."

Hi Ralph!

Now that I've stopped laffin', here's my short & sweet Brummie (that's Brumigham, England folks... ) take: "UTTER BOLLOCKS!". 'Nuff said...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Earring View Post
    Hi Ralph!

Now that I've stopped laffin', here's my short & sweet Brummie (that's Brumigham, England folks... ) take: "UTTER BOLLOCKS!". 'Nuff said...

Dave
    Thanks! By the way things are actually way worse than the quoted conclusions make them appear. To wit, there is no information given about the amplification circuit of the phone nor the headphone/audio output specifications. And no measurements. As I said, laughable.
    Last.fm

Tempus fugit...

Thanks! By the way things are actually way worse than the quoted conclusions make them appear. To wit, there is no information given about the amplification circuit of the phone nor the headphone/audio output specifications. And no measurements. As I said, laughable.
    Hi Ralph!

It really isn't worth your precious time reading!

Have you considered gardening: I can't really do it myself (buggered back + brown fingers... ), but I'm told that it can be a great solace in one's later years.

One hell of a lot better than reading Stereophile!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Earring View Post
    Hi Ralph!

It really isn't worth your precious time reading!

Have you considered gardening: I can't really do it myself (buggered back + brown fingers... ), but I'm told that it can be a great solace in one's later years.

One hell of a lot better than reading Stereophile!

Dave
    My wife does the gardening while I'm out riding my bicycle. I ride about 6,000+ miles a year and I read Stereophile mostly for laughs.

I do find that I now have trouble talking with some of my Kool-Aide drinking audiophile friends about audio so now we just talk about music. A much better topic. As for music, jazz is my main area of interest. Lots and lots of jazz. Perhaps that is why I don't make to big a stink about the loudness wars, except of course when I listen to a modern popular music release. Often times they are unlistenable because of the severe dynamic range compression combined with over driven loudness levels. A terrible thing to do to any music.
    Last.fm

loudness wars.. A terrible thing to do to any music.
    Those recordings are for listening to in the car. Hopefully whilst driving as fast as possible. Never, ever, play them on the big system in the house. It'll just hurt.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..