Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Play native DSD on piCorePlayer 3.5 (Raspberry Pi 3B+) and Chord Mojo DAC = no sound

Tried to play DSD 64 and 256 files, but no sound, tried different settings in squeezelite, but I donĺt know if there are right.

LMS settings:
    Installed DSDPlayer 1.0 plugin in LMS 7.9.1 - 1522249619

piCorePlayer > DSDPlayer > Enable DSD-over-PCM
    This player supports native playback of DSD files. DSD-over-PCM should be configured on the player configuration interface.

piCorePlayer > Audio
    Crossfade: None
    Smart Crossfade: Disable Smart Crossfade
    Volume Control: Output level is fixed at 100%
    Volume Adjustment/Replay Gain: No Volume Adjustment

Advanced > File Types

DFF
    DFF: native
    FLAC: dsdplay

DSF
    DSF: native
    Attached Images Attached Images  

piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Thanks!, but i already know this blog, i actually followed the guide there to set up LMS/piCorePlayer, i have tried various setings in the "Output setting" and "Various Options" fields, but still no luck, so i don't know what to try next.

Quote Originally Posted by SBFan View Post
    Thanks!, but i already know this blog, i actually followed the guide there to set up LMS/piCorePlayer, i have tried various setings in the "Output setting" and "Various Options" fields, but still no luck, so i don't know what to try next.
    RTFM.

The Mojo supports DOP only according to the manual!

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/wp-co...l-28072016.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
    RTFM.

The Mojo supports DOP only according to the manual!

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/wp-co...l-28072016.pdf
    I think you are right! - it was this post by Mojo creator Rob Watts that led me to believe it could handle native DSD (Post #35137):
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chor...4602/page-2343

"Just to clear things up, as there are two terms for "native" DSD. DoP is native DSD, in that it is a protocol to transmit pure one bit native DSD. Native DSD is just the original DSD data completely unchanged.

But native (no italics on native) DSD transmission is an ASIO USB protocol where the native DSD is transmitted with only the DSD data - no DoP headers, no 0 bit packing. Since only the data is transmitted, it is much more efficient - and it is the only way to transmit DSD512 on USB.

Chord DAC's can receive both protocols: native ASIO for native DSD and DoP for native DSD. To transmit DSD512 you must use the ASIO drivers in native (i.e. not DoP) mode.

Yes I know it is confusing."

So i guess i have to select "Standard Squeezelite Binary" instead of "Squeezelite with DSD (DoP or native) patches"?

Would you expect a manufacturer to admit not to support native DSD in public when being confronted with it??
    I think the manual clearly states what Chord supports . And that's DOP.

Which is not a bad thing! It just requires double the bandwidth and additional PCM->DSD processing.
    The DSD data will be the same anyhow. -- What's really interesting is what the DAC is doing with these
    DSD data !?!?!? Are we talking about a true-DSD DAC at all!?!? -- Ok.Ok. That's a different story.

I havn't tested DOP on pcP 3.5 myself yet.
    However. You should be able - even with the DSD binary in place - to just use "-D" without further options to be able to run DOP.

Let us know if it works.

If not - I might hook up my Audiophonics Sabre 9028 HAT, which supports DOP, to see what's going on.
    I might also add some lines related to DOP to my blog article to draw the full picture.
    Last edited by soundcheck; 2018-04-12 at 07:05.

Would you expect a manufacturer to admit not to support native DSD in public when being confronted with it??
    I think the manual clearly states what Chord supports . And that's DOP.

Which is not a bad thing! It just requires double the bandwidth and additional PCM->DSD processing.
    The DSD data will be the same anyhow. -- What's really interesting is what the DAC is doing with these
    DSD data !?!?!? Are we talking about a true-DSD DAC at all!?!? -- Ok.Ok. That's a different story.

I havn't tested DOP on pcP 3.5 myself yet.
    However. You should be able - even with the DSD binary in place - to just use "-D" without further options to be able to run DOP.

Let us know if it works.

If not - I might hook up my Audiophonics Sabre 9028 HAT, which supports DOP, to see what's going on.
    I might also add some lines related to DOP to my blog article to draw the full picture.
    Thanks for clarifying that :-)

I tried with the -D switch in the "Various Options" field, and now everything plays at 44.1Khz according to Mojos sample rate indicator.

EDIT: Samplerates are normal again, it was because i had set the "Output setting" to "sysdefault:CARD=Mojo" instead of "front:CARD=Mojo,DEV=0".

DSD stills plays with no sound (with -D switch), and piCorePlayer has to be restarted after playing DSD to get sound back when playing other formats.

That Audiophonics look interesting, and btw. a great blog you have :-)
    Last edited by SBFan; 2018-04-12 at 23:06.

I tried with the -D switch in the "Various Options" field, and now everything plays at 44.1Khz according to Mojos sample rate indicator.

That Audiophonics look interesting
    DSD64-DOP=176k4 DSD128-DOP=352k8 and Mojo shows 44.1?

Did you have a look what goes out from the PI towards the DAC? Below command executed during playback will do:
    cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params

I'll checkout DOP on pCP3.5 myself over the weekend. And I'll also add a section about DOP to my DSD-native blog article.

That Audiophonics look interesting
    Yep. On the first glance.

1. They don't have a driver in the kernel tree. To me. That's a No-Go. They do offer a driver that you can build yourself. That's what I did. Good luck with that!
    2. IMO it's not the best in class implementation of that DAC chip. 90% of the perceived soundquality is generated by the surroundings of a DAC chip. Nothing more to say.

Soon there'll be a Sabre 9038 HAT from Allo that'll potentially shuffle the market. We'll see.

@SBFan:
    I had a similar issue with my DAC and also found soundcheck's (as well as Archimago's) post. Took some details from both as mentioned here and at the end it worked out.

If this is now DoP or native DSD i don't really know though. ;-) Doubt i will hear any difference anyway.

DSD64-DOP=176k4 DSD128-DOP=352k8 and Mojo shows 44.1?

Did you have a look what goes out from the PI towards the DAC? Below command executed during playback will do:
    cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params

I'll checkout DOP on pCP3.5 myself over the weekend. And I'll also add a section about DOP to my DSD-native blog article.

Yep. On the first glance.

1. They don't have a driver in the kernel tree. To me. That's a No-Go. They do offer a driver that you can build yourself. That's what I did. Good luck with that!
    2. IMO it's not the best in class implementation of that DAC chip. 90% of the perceived soundquality is generated by the surroundings of a DAC chip. Nothing more to say.

Soon there'll be a Sabre 9038 HAT from Allo that'll potentially shuffle the market. We'll see.
    Here is the result of the output from the Pi (Wired gigabit LAN connection, test files from http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html?):

24Bit/192Khz
    access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
    format: S32_LE
    subformat: STD
    channels: 2
    rate: 192000 (192000/1)
    period_size: 7680
    buffer_size: 30720

Stereo DSD 64 - 2.8224Mbit/s
    rate: 176400 (176400/1)
    period_size: 7056
    buffer_size: 28224

Stereo DSD 128 - 5.6448Mbit/s
    rate: 352800 (352800/1)
    period_size: 14112
    buffer_size: 56448

Stereo DSD 256 - 11.2896Mbit/s
    no setup

The first 3 play fine (and sample rate indicator on the Mojo shows DSD), the last one, no sound.

I guess S32_LE means it's DOP?

OK, the Audiophonics is not for me for sure, wait for the Sabre 9038 HAT from Allo :-)