Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SBFan
    • Mar 2018

Dropouts with 24bit/192Khz files on wireless connection

Been testing the Touch playing 24bit/192Khz files, and there are lots of dropouts, 24bit/96Khz mostly plays fine.

I then testet with the build-in network test, and while 4000 kbps is about the highest i can go withouts dropouts, 10000 kbps is all dropouts.

Since the teoretical limit for the Touch WiFis 802.11b network (2.4GHz) is 11000 kbps i wonder why dropouts start at such a low bitrate?

Birates for the two resolutions:

24bit/96khz: 4608 kbps

24bit/192khz: 9216 kbps

I have a high quality Access Point 3 meters from the Touch, and i have tried different channels, with no better results.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180329_202549.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1577876

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180329_200642.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1577877
    Players: 1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Classic, 1 x SB Touch, 1 x Raspberry Pi3 w. Picoreplayer 5
    LMS: WHS2011 Server
    Control apps: Orange Squeeze on Galaxy S7 phone and Lenovo tablet
  • Stratmangler
    • Oct 2008

The wireless card in the Touch doesn't have the bandwidth capability - it was never designed with 24/192 in mind.
    It works fine with a wired connection.
    Chris :)

Comment

• SBFan
      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Stratmangler
      The wireless card in the Touch doesn't have the bandwidth capability - it was never designed with 24/192 in mind.
      It works fine with a wired connection.
      Thanks!, i found it odd that it couldn't max out the old 802.11b standard, i will use a wired connection.
      Players: 1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Classic, 1 x SB Touch, 1 x Raspberry Pi3 w. Picoreplayer 5

Comment

• philippe_44
        • May 2008

Originally posted by SBFan
        Thanks!, i found it odd that it couldn't max out the old 802.11b standard, i will use a wired connection.
        That's raw rate, you need to add all the overheads. I think 802.11b peaks around 6 Mbps when using TCP
        LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

• Mnyb
          • Feb 2006

Why b Touch supports g .

But that sad for hirez streaming use Ethernet that’s my experience too .

You must be using the EDO app , Touch normal native support is 24/96 and then the server transcodes .

Another factor . Don’t transcode to wav/pcm use flac it almost halves the bandwith need.
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
          Bedroom/Office: Boom
          Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
          Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
          iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
          (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
          server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• SBFan
            • Mar 2018

Originally posted by philippe_44
            That's raw rate, you need to add all the overheads. I think 802.11b peaks around 6 Mbps when using TCP
            You are right, the overheads must be taken into account, but i meant 802.11g (54 Mbit/s), which is the highest the Touch can go.

Comment

• SBFan
              • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Mnyb
              Why b Touch supports g .

But that sad for hirez streaming use Ethernet that’s my experience too .

You must be using the EDO app , Touch normal native support is 24/96 and then the server transcodes .

Another factor . Don’t transcode to wav/pcm use flac it almost halves the bandwith need.
              My bad, a typo, i of course use g network :-)

Yes i use the EDO app.

Great tip not to transcode to wav/pcm, i'm not sure that i have set it correctly, should PCM be set to "disabled"? (see atachment)
              Attached Files

Comment

• philippe_44
                • May 2008

You are right, the overheads must be taken into account, but i meant 802.11g (54 Mbit/s), which is the highest the Touch can go.
                Yes and I should have answered using g speeds, but still you're trying to transmit more than 9Mbits/s payload to a single device on g. It's doable of course but as soon as you have any other devices, that might not be at 54 due to radio conditions, then you'll put the fair time allocation logic under stress (I can't remember on top of my head the exact way it schedules). Maybe even in the Touch itself, the I/F between the wireless NIC and the CPU is not capable of handling that speed, I don't know.

So combine, a bit of repetition, Touch internal I/F, few other devices who want their share of the system and you'll not get the raw speed you need in a reliable & continuous way
                LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

• bpa
                  • Oct 2005

54Mbps is the absolute top wireless connection point to point.
                  Wifi is basically half duplex (as it is a shared broadcast medium) and then you need to take into account the CSMA/CA which reduces it even more, then on top of that IP and then TCP. Then if there are any other devices on the wifi - throughput goes down again. IIRC RTS/CTS settings will also affect throughput and even more if they are 802.11b only device on the wifi. 192kHz support via EDO was done by Triode and not by Logitech.

Comment

• SBFan
                    • Mar 2018

Originally posted by philippe_44
                    Yes and I should have answered using g speeds, but still you're trying to transmit more than 9Mbits/s payload to a single device on g. It's doable of course but as soon as you have any other devices, that might not be at 54 due to radio conditions, then you'll put the fair time allocation logic under stress (I can't remember on top of my head the exact way it schedules). Maybe even in the Touch itself, the I/F between the wireless NIC and the CPU is not capable of handling that speed, I don't know.

So combine, a bit of repetition, Touch internal I/F, few other devices who want their share of the system and you'll not get the raw speed you need in a reliable & continuous way
                    The bottleneck is the Touch, have been trying to measure the actual Wi-Fi speed (802.11g - 2.4Ghz) between the server with LMS and my Android Phone and tablet, but it is difficult to find software that gives accurate results, but the speed i get is at least far above 9216 kbps.

I will use a cable instead, i just liked the elegance of the wireless solution, i think thats the whole idea of the Squeezeboxes :-)

Comment

• Mnyb
                      • Feb 2006

You don’t need to disable PCM as long as FLAC is set to native .

But in case you also have wav files check the settings for wav files too.
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
                      Bedroom/Office: Boom
                      Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
                      Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
                      iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
                      (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
                      server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

Working...