Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    The BK monoliths looks very similar to the REL I’ve already have at 1/2 the price 14 years later .

I will also consider dual subs , this is said to give smoother in room response .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    The BK monoliths looks very similar to the REL I’ve already have at 1/2 the price 14 years later .

I will also consider dual subs , this is said to give smoother in room response .
    That's because BK Electronics used to design and build the REL subwoofers (https://www.bkelec.com/about_us.htm)

EDIT: re-reading the thread I saw you already were aware of that ...
    Last edited by bakker_be; 2018-04-05 at 09:05.
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

Id

Don't know but i think my audiophile card is revoked
    I reckon that all of our cards have been revoked by now...

Dave

+1 for dual set-up

Heartily agreed - you can't hear the stereo effect, even so wiring up dual subwoofers in parallel distributes the bass energy around your room dynamically (with the recorded stereo effect) & does serve to reduce modal resonance.

You also get a little more gain from the extra amplification, so do not have to drive the subwoofers so hard: this is important since most of the wattage is used in artificially extending the subwoofer's frequency response below the natural cone resonant frequency, using electronic bass boost at the line level (still analogue!).

For reference, I have a pair of 500W B&W PV1s (original model, not he latest PV!Ds) both of which I purchased second-hand. Hint: my more recently acquired one was MUCH cheaper (because it as no longer a current model, it's considerably newer than my original which I have had reconditioned by B&W. All right, fixed because I buggered the amp playing it way too loud... ). Incidentally PV stands for "Pressure Vessel" - they are spherical to equalise the internal stress of the (quite small) infinite baffle cabinet.

Since the area of a circle is proportionate to its radius (A = pi x r2), having 4 x 8" (long-throw & aluminium mica composite) drivers is equivalent to a single 16" driver (R = sqrt(4 x 4) = sqrt 64... ).

You also get less cone break-up & less over-run (because the driven mass is lighter) resulting in tighter & more musical bass. Just try it for yourself, then eat me if it doesn't work for you!

Dave

P.S. Even the movie mob have caught on as in Dolby Atmos 11.2 "complete immersion" surround sound...

Yes the sub is often the most abused part in the system without many realising it .
    So headroom is good they distort a lot too when driven to hard .

My small Meridian 5200 is not the loudest thing you can buy , but even then they do at least >105dB ish ?
    And there are 3 of them with the front one

Subs that play clean 20Hz >100dB ? Well in many systems the sub still bottoms out before your main speakers .

I know you can’t hear much distortion down at sub frequency, but rattling and port noises and excessive distortion
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

I know you can’t hear much distortion down at sub frequency, but rattling and port noises and excessive distortion
    The only non-musical sound (and I use the term liberally to include movie sounds) ever produced by my BK Monolith is the rattling of glasses in the cupboard and one particular door from my living room to the hallway This happened when watching "Finding Nemo" at "reference level", when the little girl taps the fish tank ... I don't think the neighbours really appreciated this either
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

Have you looked at SVS? I have two in my listening room/theatre. Very happy with their quality and performance. There are lot's of reviews available and they have dealers in Stockholm and Gothenburg.

Rattling & resonances

Quote Originally Posted by bakker_be View Post
    The only non-musical sound (and I use the term liberally to include movie sounds) ever produced by my BK Monolith is the rattling of... ...one particular door from my living room to the hallway This happened when watching "Finding Nemo" at "reference level", when the little girl taps the fish tank ... I don't think the neighbours really appreciated this either
    I find that a small piece of blu-tack in the corner of the door frame is good to prevent rattling (whether caused by little girls tapping fish tanks or simply by people opening other doors in my hallway - which must be relatively air-tight) & also to ensure reasonable sound isolation - which is important because low bass resonates very audibly in passageways, bathrooms & the like where the walls are closer together than the floor & the ceiling. I like to be considerate to my apartment block neighbours when playing The Rolling Stones' "Neighbours" track at "reference level"...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jfo View Post
    Have you looked at SVS? I have two in my listening room/theatre. Very happy with their quality and performance. There are lot's of reviews available and they have dealers in Stockholm and Gothenburg.
    Yes the SB-4000 is on the shortlist . I do wonder if it's musical enough ?

Yes the SB-4000 is on the shortlist . I do wonder if it's musical enough ?
    Among others like the rhytmik F15HP .

And i also consider Arendal 1723 subwoofer 2 .

And many more , this is going to take months and possibly i'll fix my old sub .
    Or it's the analog out on the HT preprocessors thats busted (again).
    But keep the suggestions coming .