Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    Do audiophiles buy subs then? I thought the hard core audiophile wouldn't trust third party amplification for any part of their playback frequency range....

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    Actually I sold my sub - better without IMO. If I ever move into a bigger space (unlikely) then I'll just buy bigger active ATCs.
    Check it, add to it! http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

SB Touch

Music has very little below 35-40hz anyway, and although it's certainly true that there is stuff missing (in some recordings) without a full frequency response it is very much unnecessary for conveying the enjoyment and energy of most types of music.

Truth is a lot of people prefer vinyl because it has a big fat slow bass to it that flows and flatters the sound, much like using small speakers that use resonance in their bass output to fill the gaps in their natural frequency response. Ironic that some people spend so much money on high end equipment to tighten up the bass response and avoid this, then buy subs or play LPs to put it back again!

Last edited by drmatt; 2018-03-28 at 04:21.
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Context for you all.

I have the small Meridian actives they clearly likes being offloaded from bass duties.

Much music do have subsonic content , once you heard it you cant be without it
    I have a wide music taste.

This is also my HT setup.

I also listen to multichannel music and uses some of Meridians emulated mch modes.

Back ch is even smaller than the fronts.

Active room compensation helps a lot this kond of deep bass can be more of a nuisance if cant controll it ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

To be fair I have a pair of fairly beefy three-way floorstanding b&w 804s being driven by a Naim amplifier, so they are pretty well extended anyway and I don't feel the need for a sub even for movies (the room is not very big either).

Clearly deep bass is pretty important for my enjoyment of music too (analogue synths generated a lot of it). Movies do get the audigy room correction applied though I bypass the AV amp for music.

I don't enjoy good music any less on other smaller systems around the house though I would say listening is much less critical on those.

--
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

I have a PSB.

Subs ultimately are just frequency fillers. Under 80Hz you have no clue where stuff comes from. I just look for a very solid chassis and the promise of accuracy in setting the cutoff frequency. I also would never ever allow my speakers to be fed off the sub. Direct off the preamp/DAC, please.
    ...pablo
    Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 14 Pro) running Ubuntu 18.04 + LMS 7.9
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> Totem Element Fire
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

I took a very minimalist approach to my audio setup.

My Transporter is connected to my Avantone Pro Abbey active monitor speakers via XLR. Very nice speakers that are flat down to 34 Hz with 400W amps driving each side. Two 6.5 inch drivers per speaker give nice tight bass.

Name:  2J9eHL6.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  173.8 KB

What about Rythmik subs ? Anyone has any experience.

And again thanks for the suggestions.
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    These seem to get good reviews.
    https://www.bkelec.com

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    I personally have a BK sub and wouldn't want to miss it for the world. I have the Monolith+ FF.
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    What about Rythmik subs ? Anyone has any experience.

And again thanks for the suggestions.
    I have heard a Rythimik sub on a friend's system and it was very capable with the movie we were watching. I didn't demo it like I would one for my own system since it was at his place but it filled in with his B&W towers nicely. Personally I would rate what I have heard as SVS>HSU>Rythmik as far as total bass performance with HSU on top with consideration to value for money. This is my personal opinion with a bias toward home theater use as these were all ported subs. My HSU has a variable design that allows me to plug the ports for a tighter response geared for music but I usually run them open for deeper, louder bass required for home theater.

I saw the recommendation for the BK Monolith and had to look them up as I am not familiar with them. Looks good! There is another "Monolith" to consider as well - the recently launched Monolith subs from Monoprice that have received some very rave reviews:https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...SABEgL2i_D_BwE Again, I am not sure they are available in Sweden but if they are you can add them to your list...

Quote Originally Posted by usc95 View Post
    I have heard a Rythimik sub on a friend's system and it was very capable with the movie we were watching. I didn't demo it like I would one for my own system since it was at his place but it filled in with his B&W towers nicely. Personally I would rate what I have heard as SVS>HSU>Rythmik as far as total bass performance with HSU on top with consideration to value for money. This is my personal opinion with a bias toward home theater use as these were all ported subs. My HSU has a variable design that allows me to plug the ports for a tighter response geared for music but I usually run them open for deeper, louder bass required for home theater.

I saw the recommendation for the BK Monolith and had to look them up as I am not familiar with them. Looks good! There is another "Monolith" to consider as well - the recently launched Monolith subs from Monoprice that have received some very rave reviews:https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...SABEgL2i_D_BwE Again, I am not sure they are available in Sweden but if they are you can add them to your list...
    Interesting spec on that Monolith sub from Monoprice . Actual honest distortion measurement on a speaker at very high SPL , you basically never see that .