Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to connect player to LMS from outside of my network?

Hi all,

So there's a problem. I have second place to live and I lately took one of my Booms there. I tried to configure it and.. bummer. "Enter IP address of the server" I have dynamic IP and only dyndns service where my logitech media server is installed!
    Do you know solutions for this? Maybe a hack to forward mysqueezebox.com to myhome.dyndns.org?
    2x Squeezebox Boom, Squeezebox Classic. LMS on Mac Mini G4

Quote Originally Posted by tutejszy View Post
    Hi all,

So there's a problem. I have second place to live and I lately took one of my Booms there. I tried to configure it and.. bummer. "Enter IP address of the server" I have dynamic IP and only dyndns service where my logitech media server is installed!
    Do you know solutions for this? Maybe a hack to forward mysqueezebox.com to myhome.dyndns.org?
    A VPN is the only safe way, it has been discussed many times on this forum.

Jeff

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Been in the same situation. In all honesty, you are better getting a Rpi with a USB drive for your music - and plug that into the network at the 2nd place. Better performance, more reliable, and secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by yeomanspc View Post
    Been in the same situation. In all honesty, you are better getting a Rpi with a USB drive for your music - and plug that into the network at the 2nd place. Better performance, more reliable, and secure.

I have a 2Tb WiFi enabled WD Passport Drive that I use to hold a copy of my music collection, and which has LMS installed - this is my portable LMS when I'm away from home, also used in my office at work. Installation of LMS in this post, needs a little Linux experience, though!

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    a copy of my music collection

Robert
    Nah, I would then have to sync the files..

Quote Originally Posted by yeomanspc View Post

But I just love the physical shape and functionality od Boom device. It’s all in one, really don’t see any device that can equal these functions..

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    A VPN is the only safe way, it has been discussed many times on this forum.

Jeff
    Thanks for tip. I’m currently working on nslookup+nc/ssh using Python script solution. Will share when success.

Quote Originally Posted by tutejszy View Post
    Nah, I would then have to sync the files..
    I sync my WD passport each weekend. It is one of my backups, and the weekly sync only takes a few minutes. How do you make your backups? It's unlikely to be more hassle than that!

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    I have a 2Tb WiFi enabled WD Passport Drive that I use to hold a copy of my music collection, and which has LMS installed - this is my portable LMS when I'm away from home, also used in my office at work. Installation of LMS in this post, needs a little Linux experience, though!

Robert
    That's AWESOME! Thanks for posting this!

I've seen those and said to myself 'that's an expensive and slow way to transfer files', but squeezing LMS onto it gives me a reason to buy one and play!
    Player: 1 x Transporter w/Trans-knob, 2 x Touch (Active, 3 x Spares), 4 x Boom (Active, 9 x Spares)
    Server: 1 x Win Server (ESXi 6.x) w/LMS, 1 x HP 24" Touch Screen PC w/LMS & SqueezePlay
    Control: 4 x w/iPeng, 1 x Samsung Note 4, 3ea x Fire 7", 8” tablets, 1 x 10" all w/SqueezeCtrl & Player (Angry Goat)
    Audio: Mark Levinson 23.5 Amp, 380s Pre, 390s CD, B&W 801 II, Acoustic Energy AE-2 signature, SOTA Sapphire table

Computer geek/tech hoarder(!), and DAMN I love the LMS/Squeeze infrastructure!

Finally, I think i found perfect solution. Socat utility is the answer! I am using two instances:
    socat tcp-l:3483,fork,reuseaddr tcp:my-home-server.org:3483
    socat tcp-l:9000,fork,reuseaddr tcp:my-home-server.org:9000

On the squeezebox device you enter the local address of the machine that is running above. And that's it! Every time socat establishes connection it apparently resolves host name (checked playing with hosts file), so it works smoothly! Hooray!
    If your local machine works on windows you need this: https://github.com/StudioEtrange/socat-windows