Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Dilemma

Decca Cartridge

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Earring View Post
    Hi artee!

DID you like it??

Dave
    Like the curate's egg - good in parts. They were the diametric opposite of the Shure V15 III in terms of trackability, and I don't think that the turntable/arm suited it much at all. Having said that, the midrange was sublime. Tracking fell aprt on either side of the midrange, though. They had what Decca called (if I remember correctly) "Direct tracking" which meant that the stylus didn't pivot through a piece of compliant material. That could also have been the cause of its lack of forgiveness.
    I returned it, sadly - but have very fond memories of it.

Rick

My NAD phono preamp has both, so it was just a case of switching from one to the other to see which one sounded best.
    LMS 7.9.1 on QNAP 219P+
    3 wired Touch End Points
    Jolida Tube DAC III
    Marantz 2270 to Boston Acoustics Slimlines
    Marantz 7010 to B&W CM10 S2

Tracking

Quote Originally Posted by artee View Post
    Like the curate's egg - good in parts. They were the diametric opposite of the Shure V15 III in terms of trackability, and I don't think that the turntable/arm suited it much at all. Having said that, the midrange was sublime. Tracking fell aprt on either side of the midrange, though. They had what Decca called (if I remember correctly) "Direct tracking" which meant that the stylus didn't pivot through a piece of compliant material. That could also have been the cause of its lack of forgiveness.
    I returned it, sadly - but have very fond memories of it.

Rick
    My Koetsu Rosewood Signature doesn't track (at 2g, but aided by a sexy stylus shape into not filing my vinyl down too quickly!) as well as the V15 III (at 1g) did either: BUT it sounds miles better...

Dave