Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TeraDak Power Supply for Touch

I got tired of the standard PS getting so dirty that it prevented operation of the SBT remote. Finally decided to go for a cleaner TeraDak supply, despite the questionable price ratio (~$130 on Ebay) compared to the Touch price point.

The temperamental remote behavior is *gone*. Build quality is excellent (haven't looked inside), but nice alu audiophile casing and all :-)

Sound quality? Sounds great. :-) Better than the standard PS? I *think* I can hear a bit more transparency etc, but sue me, it's not as if I was ever unhappy with sound quality before. :-)

The remote operation bothered me, despite the fact I mostly use a tablet for navigation.

All in all I regard it a worthwhile update if you're willing to part with $130 for a dedicated power supply, and it's not that much money. :-)

PS: Yes, I have a collectionist model with "Linear" misspelled :-) Or perhaps it's the Italian PS line :-)

Name:  20180401_111429 copy.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  213.1 KB
    Last edited by pablolie; 2018-04-01 at 12:13.
    ...pablo
    Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 14 Pro) running Ubuntu 18.04 + LMS 7.9.1
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

Or maybe it's half localized for New York / New England: Linea Powa. Whateva. :-)

Thanks for the report! Weird that your wall-wart was causing that much trouble. Mine are behaving OK so far, and the power is clean in my house. Talk about price ratio though, I am temporarily powering a Touch with an UpTone UltraCap LPS-1.2 here. I didn't expect to hear an improvement, having read about the internal regulators and internal switching supplies in these boxes, and indeed I have heard no change at all. It's just been a good way to test / burn in the LPS-1.2 while my media room is undergoing renovations. Eventually the LPS-1.2 (which I received for the LPS-1 price, still more than a new Touch) will be paired with my ultraRendu.

On the other hand adding an external DAC, as you've done, gave me an instant SQ improvement.

External power supplies

Hi both!

I have an external Mytek Brooklyn DAC which I insist on using with my Transporter, despite the scorn heaped upon me by the "experts" on this forum, because it most definitely sounds better to me than using the built-in DAC which was "magic" (per Sean Adam's own marketing hype in 2005 when I was a young man of 50, at least according to my birth certificate... - the real truth is that I have ALWAYS BEEN HERE since the dawn of time, just waiting for you good folk to show up!!).

That aside, my DAC has a word clock out, intended of course for syncing multi-channel playback, but which allows me to follow Mr Adams' preferred connection using the XLR balanced digital output from the Transporter, but with the clock set by the DAC using a BNC cable to lock the Transporter's word clock in to the DAC's word clock out (I have posted about this elsewhere in this section of the forum, if anyone missed Sean's recommendation I'm sure that I can dig it out & stick it on this thread as well. One needs to slave the Transporter to an external clock using "Logitech" - read "Slim Devices!" - Media Server settings & then set the desired sampling frequency manually on the DAC itself which is the only downside. This is the reason that Sean put a word clock input on the Transporter in the first place... ).

Being an avatar of The Dark Lord, I naturally still have "golden ears" which permit me to discern the difference, lol.

This however is still not the point of this thread: I hope that you're still with me. MY MYTEK BROKKOLY (inspired nickname copyright Wombat!!) DAC ALSO HAS A 12V (NOMINAL) DC POWER INPUT, WHICH ENABLES ONE TO USE A SEXY EXTERNAL POWER SUPPLY WITH IT. I'm advised that anything between 7&14V DC will actually work, it's the ability to deliver dollops of current as required which is the important thing...

Well, some of the "recommended" external PSUs come in at a cool ú700 a pop! That has to be a lot of dealership margin, I mean how hard can it really be to design & construct a heavy-duty stabilised PSU??

SO, I had a think & concluded that if you want DC, you can't really beat a native DC source.

For half the price of the aforesaid external mains PSUs, I have acquired a 24Ahr LiFePo4 rechargeable battery pack (which contains 4 x 3.2V cells, giving a nominal output voltage of 12.8V: this is comfortably within the 7-14V window). For safety's sake, I have a slow trickle- charger for it which will do the whole 9 yards from flat to fully charged in 8 hours overnight under my cooker extractor fan (even though it's a sealed unit & shouldn't emit any gas... ) overnight with a timer switch to turn off the charger after 2, 4, 6 or 8 hours. The real kicker is that this little beastie (intended for powering an electric golf buggy, lol) has a continuous current rating of 30A, & a transient rating of 90A - clearly it is a very GOOD IDEA to triple-check the polarity when rigging up the 2.5mm power plug required by the Brooklyn (incidentally, I haven't been able to source one of those rated above 5A although I do have one with screw terminals on the back... ).

I've got a lot of sh*t on just atm fighting City Hall & the like, but just as soon as I get a "round tuit", I shall report back!!

Dave

Thanks for that, Golden Earring. Stayed with you all the way. I think the moral of the story is that an external DAC offers SQ improvement, even for the Transporter which is after all 12 year-old tech, and upgrading the power supply for an external DAC often offers further SQ improvement. Mytek in fact recommends doing exactly that for the Brooklyn/Brooklyn+. Upgrading a Squeezebox power supply is not as likely to offer any improvement at all, but may mitigate problems caused by household power circuits.

Hi!

Quote Originally Posted by left channel View Post
    Thanks for that, Golden Earring. Stayed with you all the way. I think the moral of the story is that an external DAC offers SQ improvement, even for the Transporter which is after all 12 year-old tech, and upgrading the power supply for an external DAC often offers further SQ improvement. Mytek in fact recommends doing exactly that for the Brooklyn/Brooklyn+. Upgrading a Squeezebox power supply is not as likely to offer any improvement at all, but may mitigate problems caused by household power circuits.
    Shame that you're so far from Blighty all the way over in Silicon Valley - I'm rather taken with your avatar, lol!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Earring View Post
    Shame that you're so far from Blighty all the way over in Silicon Valley - I'm rather taken with your avatar, lol!

Dave
    :-) Everyone wants to date my avatar. https://youtu.be/urNyg1ftMIU Especially the blokes over on PinkFishMedia.

Quote Originally Posted by left channel View Post
    :-) Everyone wants to date my avatar. https://youtu.be/urNyg1ftMIU Especially the blokes over on PinkFishMedia.
    I don't look a lot like Jude Law (from Sky Captain & The World Of Tomorrow vintage) or Eric Clapton (c. 2000 CE), both of whom I use on t'interweb as avatars, either!

I just can't be arsed to go to the bother on here, it's mostly men in sheds with anoraks on...

Dave

P.S. In reality I am a curmudgeonly bald old git with stained teeth, but I have a really excellently self-deprecating GSOH, lol! Nevertheless, I am still breathing, male, straight & not blind, yet: it's not easy, but I was born this way & I have had to learn to accept it...
    Last edited by Golden Earring; 2018-04-05 at 13:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Earring View Post
    I don't look a lot like Jude Law (from Sky Captain & The World Of Tomorrow vintage) or Eric Clapton (c. 2000 CE), both of whom I use on t'interweb as avatars, either!

I don't look like my V-Moda model either. I just warned a rather impertinent bloke on pinkfish to be careful because "she's me mum". /jk.

Someday I should change my avatar to match the lady in that video (which I use in my signature elsewhere). I guarantee she knows a thing or two about power supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
    I got tired of the standard PS getting so dirty that it prevented operation of the SBT remote. Finally decided to go for a cleaner TeraDak supply, despite the questionable price ratio (~$130 on Ebay) compared to the Touch price point.
    Or you could have just bought another original PS. The remote not working on the Touch is one of the first symptoms of PS failure. (But, hey, at least you didn't replace the IR module like a lot of others have)

Hijacked Threads!

Quote Originally Posted by Fizbin View Post
    Or you could have just bought another original PS. The remote not working on the Touch is one of the first symptoms of PS failure. (But, hey, at least you didn't replace the IR module like a lot of others have)
    I thought I'd skewed this one really well: are there genuinely no other pre-menopausal, hot blooded & still breathing gentlemen out there capable of politely complimenting a lady without soiling the ambience by asking for nude photos up front?

Dave