Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Quote Originally Posted by markm9999 View Post
    While I agree sound quality is an important aspect, some are more sensitive to SQ than others. Let's face it, depending on the listening situation, sometimes convenience trumps SQ.

That's why I addressed the original poster, since he was using SB/Touch, to ask what he was doing with it.

Others gravitate to using self contained Boom's/Radio's. As good as they are, they are lower SQ than a full blown stereo rig.

As per my earlier post, for late night listening or just a quick portable solution, I use phones/tablets plugged into headphones or other self-powered/portable speakers...even a 1/8" to L/R RCA connector at a few friends houses that haven't embraced the LMS infrastructure...yet! They think it's wild I can stream music to their house from my collection in just a few minutes.

BTW, interesting device. Is that using DLNA to communicate?
    I'm sorry, I don't hang out in here much anymore. The N-50 has great SQ, but it lacks the flexibility like the Squeezebox devices are. It uses DNLA, AirPlay or direct USB input, I use it with My 4TB Storage on my network and use it as a DAC with a Touch.
    Pioneer Elite N50 main HT rig hardwired to router connected

1st Touch Wirelessly connected (Master Bedroom)

2nd Touch Wirelessly connected (bedroom)

3rd Touch Wirelessly connected (bedroom)

4th Touch Wirelessly connected (livingroom)

5th Touch Wirelessly connected (downstairs bedroom)

Server (In garage)
    running on Duo Core P4 3.0 GHz 8 gig ram
    Windows 7 pro 64 bit
    350 Xternal gigHD
    1.5 TB backup
    Verizon Fios wireless router w/HG antana

Everyone that sees my LMS system loves it. I think with QLMS it is much easier to set up too (Kudos DigiMaster!). Logitech ruined the company like they are doing to Harmony now (no software update for Harmony One???). I am using my Harmony One to adjust tonal frequencies on my stereo for LMS (Kudos to Michael!). With proper marketing this would be a success. Let the idiots go where they want.

staying with lms for forseeable future

yea so this is a great question that should be seriously looked at by everyone. about once a year, I go out to see what's new. I've tried Sonos, Roon and Bluesound and know all those very well. LMS is still the most functional by far. Specifically, the Squeezepad app for ipad is still one of the best user interfaces and in some ways, rivals Roon (I just wish the author of it would let me buy it or make it opensource so it can be updated). Additionally, the way that LMS either via "Don't Stop the Music" or "MusicIP/SpiceFly" is an incredible next song engine that no one else even comes close to. Like many of you, I have a very large collection of music and just don't want to spend time creating a thousand playlists. I play an album of what I am feeling at the time and let the system go... it's awesome and everyone who comes over and see's it is amazed at its ability to roll through the collection in a smart way.

My issues are what everyone else has... there are still some wonky ways that LMS works. Ickstream, LMS, front end apps all need a good bit of work to get them and/or keep them up to date and I am unsure Michael, Philip, Pippin and all those who have created third part apps have the bandwidth to continue their work on a consistent basis. Once my touch endpoints go, I'll jump to Hifiberry. Tidal and Deezer both to FLAC streaming via ickstream but both have also decided to move forward with MQA so I do have a concern that at some point, they won't work via Ickstream. Future third party integrations are always an issue; at this point, I cannot thank Michael enough for creating apps for BandCamp and Radio Paradise.
    LMS 7.9.1 on QNAP 219P+
    3 wired Touch End Points
    Jolida Tube DAC III
    Marantz 2270 to Boston Acoustics Slimlines
    Marantz 7010 to B&W CM10 S2

I did buy a Grace Digital Audio "Internet Radio and Media Streamer." a while ago, when I was worried the whole LMS server system ( mysqueezebox.com) might go dead.
    [IMG]Grace Internet Radio by [/IMG]

[IMG]Grace Internet Radio rear panel [/IMG]

Here on the rear panel you can see the various inputs. One can plug in a flash thumb drive to playback music (only in the order it was uploaded to USB drive) or connect via RCA jacks with AUX out to a proper amp, and AUX in from another source. Speaker jacks allow connection directly to (A&B) external speakers. For Ethernet connection, a special dongle connects Ethernet to the USB plug on rear of unit. It also can work off wifi, but range is limited.

It includes a built in speaker; grill at top of unit . Not very good sound quality. But it allows me to stream radio stations in the garage; KCRW, VPR , while working on a car. I have Ethernet running out to the garage with an underground cable (garage is separate from our home) but it will also work off wifi.. I should be able to link this to my Pandora account, but haven't bothered yet.

But my SB3s are much better audio quality, feeding my Pioneer receiver (via toslink) and KEF 105.4 speakers. Second SB3 in bedroom.
    Last edited by chamonix; 2018-05-10 at 07:53.

I was stunned the other day to find Dave Van Ronk's "Just Dave Van Ronk" on Spotify. This is an old (1964) album that for some inexplicable reason has never been digitized - you can't buy it from iTunes, no CD, etc. But it's on Spotify, and if I'm not mistaken you can hear vinyl noise, just like you can on my own rip.

My point is that the streaming services provide a "universal jukebox" functionality. All the music you want, chosen from pretty much all music that has been recorded.

Soooo. . .

I think if I was starting over I'd probably not amass a huge collection of hard-copy music, supplemented by a fairly huge collection of soft-copy music. I'd just go to the streaming services.

If my SB devices (Transporter, Touch 1, Touch 2 in storage, Radio 1, Radio 2 in storage, Booms 1 and 2, Boom 3 in storage, Duets in storage as backups) toasted, or maybe even if they don't, I think I'd probably go to the streaming services, and get out more to live music. Not sure there's a future in SB substitutes, slick as the Raspberry Pi might be. I'd be more tempted if higher-quality streams were available, and my local limited internet bandwidth was higher. As they will be in the near term.

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    If my SB devices (Transporter, Touch 1, Touch 2 in storage, Radio 1, Radio 2 in storage, Booms 1 and 2, Boom 3 in storage, Duets in storage as backups) toasted, or maybe even if they don't, I think I'd probably go to the streaming services, and get out more to live music. Not sure there's a future in SB substitutes, slick as the Raspberry Pi might be. I'd be more tempted if higher-quality streams were available, and my local limited internet bandwidth was higher. As they will be in the near term.
    I agree - streaming services are so convenient, and for most situations they can stand in for a local library. I sometimes find myself selecting tracks in Spotty when I know I've got them in my own collection, just because..... well, I don't know why, but it's convenient and the quality is just fine.

But even if you don't rely on a local library, thanks to the efforts of a few dedicated programmers the Squeezebox concept still offers a fantastic way to access those streaming services. An SB substitute, such as a Raspberry Pi hosting LMS and running Squeezelite, STILL makes perfect sense and offers a great way to have 'whole house' synced players delivering those streaming services for peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    STILL makes perfect sense
    The only part I disagree with is the use of the word "still"? What do you mean still?

It always has made perfect sense. I don't know of any other system which does what the Squeezebox solution does. None at all.

Least not Sonos, who (after 15 years) still can't do high res, DSD or anything else.

And least not anything that runs on that flaky UPNP crap.

Quote Originally Posted by amey01 View Post
    The only part I disagree with is the use of the word "still"? What do you mean still?
    'Still' as in 'even if you don't rely on a local library'. I agree - it's been the most capable and versatile system for years.

My plan has been to get backups of the hardware and since the system isn't dependent on mysqueezebox any more it should be good for a long time. Ideally 2.4Ghz wifi will last, but if not I could do bridges.

However interacting with streams and podcasts is becoming more trouble as they change and the software can't adjust as quickly as I hoped, so that has been a problem. Lately I have been having problems with syncing between devices and some songs not playing for some reason, which I have been unable to isolate and I'm confronted with some of the old troubles of LMS logging not being great and figuring out which problems are due to the base server opposite plugins. I'm hoping to solve most of this by rebuilding the server, but time will tell.

This has gotten me thinking about moving to more of a platform independent solution bridging with setting up a network of piCores and then trying out other solutions in conjunction with them. One advantage to this would be I could use the Pis for other uses such as monitoring the environment, displaying information and maybe even something like mycroft.ai. This would be an engineering effort to be sure, but maybe it might be stable enough that it will help extend my use of Squeezebox by potentially migrating the podcasts and streams to a parallel system which could leverage the same hardware, network and speakers. In time this might lend towards using another system like mpd or clementine if they ever get to the point where they offer feature parity with what I like from Squeezebox.

At any rate I hope this is a while away. As always thanks Michael and co!