Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sdiesel77 View Post
    Currently my SBT is connected to my amp via Coax to a Chord Qute Ex DAC

Have you tried with the EDO applet on the SBT?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...YKQ/edit#gid=0

you should be able to use either usb or co-ax outputs.

Also try the pi's usb output without the WaveIo.

And don't be disappointed if you hear no major, night and day differences, they are not always there, so we don't always hear them.

Enjoy your music.

Ronnie

Edit: I see that the WaveIo board also works with EDO
    Last edited by Man in a van; 2018-03-07 at 13:59.

Just tried and neither the SBT or the Pi3 worked directly connected to the Chord Qute Ex DAC via USB.

WaveIo didn't work neither on SBT, but probably because I didn't put dedicated PSU for the WaveIo

I'm not sure how a laptop feeding digital data can sound any different from a pi or an SBT also feeding the same data to the same DAC. Either your SBT is using compressed audio (bandwidth limited) or is applying replay gain and the laptop isn't so sounds louder.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Quote Originally Posted by sdiesel77 View Post
    Just tried and neither the SBT or the Pi3 worked directly connected to the Chord Qute Ex DAC via USB.

WaveIo didn't work neither on SBT, but probably because I didn't put dedicated PSU for the WaveIo

Could you please explain how you have things set up?

Where and on which OS is LMS installed?

With regard to the rpi3b, which OS are you using for Squeezelite?

With the EDO applet on the SBT can you connect and playback via co-ax on the Qute?

I have a WaveIo board somewhere (I blame the "Borrowers") but will it take its power from the usb imput (either the SBT or a usb hub)?

Ronnie

• Where and on which OS is LMS installed?

At the moment, the SBT is connected to my Chord Dac via the Coax of the SBT then the DAC to my amp

• With regard to the rpi3b, which OS are you using for Squeezelite?

Using PicorePlayer

• With the EDO applet on the SBT can you connect and playback via co-ax on the Qute?

Yes this is what I do (DAC doesn't pick up any signal from SBT USB)

At the moment, the SBT is connected to my Chord Dac via the Coax of the SBT then the DAC to my amp
    Well this might be just as good as you can get, I don't think there is much, if any, difference between the Co-ax and the USB.

Have you tried either a passive or active USB hub between the SBT and the Qute?

Also, on the SBT, what does Settings > Advanced > Digital Output > Select Audio Output give you?

Ronnie.

With regard to using the rpi3b as a Squeezelite player, if you have a spare SD card you could try installing Raspbian Stretch-Lite on the card.

Follow these instructions to install Squeezelite

http://www.gerrelt.nl/RaspberryPi/wo...r-on-raspbian/

If the Qute is not seen by the rpi3b, then do

http://https://www.raspberrypi.org/d...el/updating.md

and try again.

Sorry, that's all I can think of at the moment.

Ronnie

Thx Ronnie for all the explanations. I gave up with the WaveIo and have ordered a Allo Digione, hoping it'll sound better

OK - so this morning I did some A/B testing.

First, I compared a Raspberry Pi with the latest version of piCorePLayer that had the audio going out a HiFiBerry DAC+ to a Schiit Vali 2 headphone amp. The other source I compared it to was my Onkyo DP-X1 (a very capable DAP). These were connected to a 3.5mm A/B switch with my Focal Clear headphones connected. The files I used were a mix of 320Kbs MP3 and 16bit/44.1 flac. I was able to balance the volume and time each devices playback so that the switch over was seamless.
    I was somewhat surprised to hear the the RPi + HiFiBerry sounded extremely close to the Onkyo. I mean it was difficult to discern a difference most of the time. However, there were points were I could detect a tiny bit more clarity with the Onkyo. I love the sound of the Onkyo, so I was very happy to hear such great sound quality from the piCorePlayer.

Next I compared the RPi/HiFiBerry to my SB Touch. The SBT has the EDO plugin (Ehanced Digital Output), but I was using the RCA jacks so I don't think this has any influence. I had both players connected to my 3.5mm AB switch (using RCA to 3.5mm cables). The output of the switch went to the Schiit Vali 2 headphone amp. I set the option to sync the two players. Since they were both using the same amp, the volume level was the same. The sound quality between the two was darn near identical. Most of the time when I flipped the switch I literally couldn't tell I had flipped it at all! If the file I was playing had more in the upper (treble) range, the RPi/HiFiB did a very slightly better job. But I had to really listen for it.

Having the AB switch meant I didn't have to rely on my "acoustic memory" on what the music sounded like a couple of minutes ago. I think you get a much more accurate impression when you're able to instantly switch.

So, now I'm wondering if I need to keep experimenting with the RPi? I suppose the the RPi is a great option if you don't already own a SBT. But I have a new found respect for the trusty 'ol SBT
    Last edited by tjp888; 2018-03-08 at 10:27.

It reassured me to hear that you also got good results from the SBT!
    I however hope that the future setup with Pi3+Digione+Chord DAC will sound better than the SBT+Chord DAC