Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sdiesel77 View Post
    It reassured me to hear that you also got good results from the SBT!
    I however hope that the future setup with Pi3+Digione+Chord DAC will sound better than the SBT+Chord DAC
    Yes, you'll have to update this thread with your impressions of the Allo Digione.

I have a HiFiBerry DAC Pro ordered. I'll run another test once that shows up.

A passive ab switch I assume? I think I would be careful with the word "better", and stick to the word "preferred". I would say that once you're out of low budget territory there is no "better", there is only "different". A slight difference in frequency response, small differences in phase response, small differences in the amount of dynamic compression on the analogue side, all these things can result in perceivable differences to the sound but none of these differences count as "better" or "worse" than any other as the distortion level can still measure the same.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

So following many many tests between Volumio, MoOde and finally Picoreplayer on Pi3 (with Luckit WaveIo or with Digione) Vs the Squeezebox Touch here is my very personal opinion:

- Volumio+Pi3+Luckit WaveIo: ok but not amazing and SBT definitely better.

- MoOde+Pi3+Luckit WaveIo: better than Volumio but SBT still better.

- PCP+Pi3+Luckit WaveIo: better than MoOde but SBT still better.

- PCP+Pi3+Digione: Slightly better than SBT: Clearer sound, bass more tight

So I'm keeping this last setup in place, connected to my amp via a Chord Qute Ex DAC.

So following many many tests between Volumio, MoOde and finally Picoreplayer on Pi3 (with Luckit WaveIo or with Digione) Vs the Squeezebox Touch here is my very personal opinion:

- Volumio+Pi3+Luckit WaveIo: ok but not amazing and SBT definitely better.

- MoOde+Pi3+Luckit WaveIo: better than Volumio but SBT still better.

- PCP+Pi3+Luckit WaveIo: better than MoOde but SBT still better.

- PCP+Pi3+Digione: Slightly better than SBT: Clearer sound, bass more tight

So I'm keeping this last setup in place, connected to my amp via a Chord Qute Ex DAC.
    Thanks for your impressions. I like the piCorePlayer best also.
    I'll be doing some testing this week with the PCP and HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro. I also have a Pi-DAC Pro coming in from IQaudIO. So, I'll be testing the PCP with that also.
    Last edited by tjp888; 2018-03-26 at 15:04.

I just finished testing the piCorePlayer with a HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro and compared it to my Squeezebox Touch. They're very similar. But the HiFiBerry is just a tiny bit better with slightly more detail. But, let me say that without being able to quickly "A and B" them, I wouldn't have been able to notice a difference - they're that close.

**Update**
    I just did an A/B test between the HiFiBerry DAC Pro and the IQaudIO Pi-DAC Pro. As before I used an A/B switch and had two pi's running at the same time and in sync with each other. Being able to instantly switch, mid-song is really the best way to to do a comparison between two sources. I was fairly surprised to how similar the audio quality was between the HiFiBerry and IQaudIO. In my opinion, they are in all practical terms indistinguishable from one another. Since the IQaudIO also has an amplified 3.5mm jack, I decided to use that one with my piCorePlayer.

Equipment used:
    2 Raspberry Pi 3Bs
    The output from the A/B switch was plugged into a Woo WA7 headphone amp
    Headphones used was a pair of Focal Clears.
    Last edited by tjp888; 2018-04-03 at 12:11.

Hi All,
    I just bought a JustBoom IR remote for mi PCP Pi3 and was wondering if I also need to buy an IR receiver for the Pi3 and if so which one and how to install it?

Thx

Hi All,
    I just bought a JustBoom IR remote for mi PCP Pi3 and was wondering if I also need to buy an IR receiver for the Pi3 and if so which one and how to install it?

Thx
    Yes you will need to purchase an IR Receiver.

See the first post of this thread for links to a suitable ir receiver and a video on how to connect it to the rpi.

LIRC has been integrated into PCP for a long time now so most of the details in the thread are outdated. But there are instructions on how to confirm you have the receiver connected correctly.

We have lirc config files for squeezelite and jivelte for the Justboom IR remote.

You need to download them from a ssh session to pcp or copy them to a usb stick.

This is how to install the jivelite config from ssh.
    Code:
    cd /tmp

touch lircrc

wget -O lircd.conf https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ralph-irving/tcz-lirc/master/lircd-jivelite-justboomIR
    Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (151.101.124.133:443)
    lircd.conf           100% |***********************************************************************|  1064   0:00:00 ETA
    Then from the Main tab enable Beta mode at the bottom of the page. Don't worry about the warning.

Then go to the Tweaks tab and click on the LIRC Page button.

Update the GPIO in value if you connect the IR receiver to a different pin.

Click the custom button and PCP will install the config file downloaded above.

Code:
    [ INFO ] Looking for configuration file(s) in /tmp...
    [ INFO ] Copying /tmp/lircd.conf...
    [ INFO ] Copying /tmp/lircrc...
    [ INFO ] Configuration file(s) found.
    Make sure you reboot when asked.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Instead of going into soldering, can I use a USB IR receiver such as this one with PCP on my Pi3?
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F162894092266

Instead of going into soldering, can I use a USB IR receiver such as this one with PCP on my Pi3?
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F162894092266
    You could always use a FLirc https://flirc.tv/

At around ú20 its a lot more than ú0.5 and a bit of soldering

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff07971; 2018-04-07 at 06:54. Reason: Corrected FLirc price
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLiteX,PiCorePlayer x3,Wandboard
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U1 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLiteX
    Music: 522GB,1660 albums with 23087 songs by 5204 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

I already have my Pi3+Digione player with PCP and I'm really happy with it. I just want to know if I can get. Usb IR receiver for the JustBoom IR remote