Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbeverley View Post
    Having messed around with those settings (and obviously heard things worse as a result) I unsuccessfully did search around for a listing of the default settings for "filetypes".

Can you point me at such a listing?
    There is no listing. The default setting is everything enabled - anything explicitly "disabled" is not default.

It is possible you may have installed plugin or other files that have changed the LMS supplied transcoding. The main default transcoding settings include: Native, lame, flac, faad and sox - alone or in combination. The less common formats have their own transcoder which I can't remember such as wvunpack and mppdec.

Plugins to support non standard LMS formats or extend existing ones may have their own transcoding such as HLS aka Apple m3u8 using ffpmeg or avconv.

Ah. I see.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    There is no listing. The default setting is everything enabled - anything explicitly "disabled" is not default.

It is possible you may have installed plugin or other files that have changed the LMS supplied transcoding. The main default transcoding settings include: Native, lame, flac, faad and sox - alone or in combination. The less common formats have their own transcoder which I can't remember such as wvunpack and mppdec.

Plugins to support non standard LMS formats or extend existing ones may have their own transcoding such as HLS aka Apple m3u8 using ffpmeg or avconv.
    Ah. I see.

Everything working perfectly now.

Next on my to-do list - how to receive hi-res BBC R3 overseas?

Quote Originally Posted by johnbeverley View Post
    Next on my to-do list - how to receive hi-res BBC R3 overseas?
    The BBC restricts non UK to AAC 48kHz 96kbps for DASH & HLS or 128kbps 44.1kHz for shoutcast http/MP3

If playing DASH make sure the BBCiPlayer plugin both setting are set to "Use highest bitrate for DASH stream"

To get UK stream which provide higher quality - you need to use a VPN and appear to be based in the UK. I can't help on that issue.

The BBC test streamed R3 in Flac for last years Proms and that was available to non UK - no news on whether this experiment will be repeated.

BBC IPlayer runs late and slow

I had the same problem for around 36 hours, then the delay disappeared. So
    it must have been a BBC issue, rather than the iPlayer plugin.
    Neil

-----Original Message-----
    [mailtolugins-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of
    plugins-request (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
    Sent: 21 February 2018 15:46
    To: plugins (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
    Subject: plugins Digest, Vol 155, Issue 70

Send plugins mailing list submissions to
    plugins (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
    http://lists.slimdevices.com/mailman/listinfo/plugins
    or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
    plugins-request (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com

You can reach the person managing the list at
    plugins-owner (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than
    "Re: Contents of plugins digest..."

Quote Originally Posted by NMarshall View Post
    I had the same problem for around 36 hours, then the delay disappeared. So
    it must have been a BBC issue, rather than the iPlayer plugin.
    Delay is not the same as slow. OP problem was that plaback ran at about 90% normal speed so 1 hours program would start at right time but take about 66 minutes to play.

A delay is when a program starts late but runs at the correct speed and so completed in the correct duration.

Iplayer running late and slow on one device only

I have the same problem but it limited to only one device - My very first Slim Devices Squeezebox running firmware 40. iPlayer is v1.5.3 and LMS is 7.9.1 . All AAC file settings are 'on' and my 2 Picore players, 2 ipads and 2 iphones all play at the correct speed. It's most frustrating as after many years of not working with Spotify the Spotty plugin as brought it new life ! Any thoughts apart from 'get a more modern device?'

Quote Originally Posted by mikebainbridge View Post
    I have the same problem but it limited to only one device - My very first Slim Devices Squeezebox running firmware 40. iPlayer is v1.5.3 and LMS is 7.9.1 . All AAC file settings are 'on' and my 2 Picore players, 2 ipads and 2 iphones all play at the correct speed. It's most frustrating as after many years of not working with Spotify the Spotty plugin as brought it new life ! Any thoughts apart from 'get a more modern device?'
    The player with firmware 40 is a SB1 which cannot play AAC natively and cannot play Flac so AAC is transcoded into 48KHz PCM which has no header so SB1 plays it has 44.1Khz. I'm not clear what you are talking about wrt Spotty as this a BBCiPlayer thread.

That is the problem and has been true for all files & stream 48kHz AAC on SB1 - not just BBCiPlayer and known for a long time ( http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...48KHz-playback )

AFAICT no solution has been posted over the years but IIRC for most of that time 48kHz was only used in WMA and DVD and transcoding WMA solution for SB1 did resampling.

The only solution I can think of is to add sox in the "AAC-> PCM" trasncoding for SB1 to ensure a 44.1kHz but this will put a load on the LMS processor.
    No details on your LMS server - so the following is for a Linux based server.
    If lines below are edited to use correct MAC address (i.e. replace with AMAC of your SB1) and then saved in a custom-convert.conf file (make sure tabs are saved as tabs and not spaces) in the same directory as the LMS convert.conf file then after LMS restart LMS will always convert AAC streams to the device with MAC address into 44.1Khz streams.

MAC address of player can be found in LMS WebUI Setting/Information tab or on label of player.

Code:
    aac pcm * aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
    	# IF
    	[faad] -q -w -f 1 -b 1 $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav $FILE$ -t raw -r 44100 -c 2 -2 -s -
    In theory for all SB1 type devices - the following would work.
    Code:
    aac pcm Squeezebox *
    	# IF
    	[faad] -q -w -f 1 -b 1 $FILE$  | [sox] -q -t wav  $FILE$ -t raw -r 44100 -c 2 -2 -s -
    Last edited by bpa; 2018-02-25 at 02:56.

Many thanks for this @BPA
    Server is max2play 2.45 running on Odroid U2

1. Copied /etc/squeezeboxserver/convert.conf to convert.conf.safe
    2. Added lines you suggested as below into convert.conf after existing entry
    Code:
    aac pcm * *
            # IF
            [faad] -q -w -f 2 -b 1 $FILE$

aac pcm * 00:04:20:05:90:fc
            # IF
            [faad] -q -w -f 1 -b 1 $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav $FILE$ -t raw -r 44100 -c 2 -2 -s -
    3. Re-started Squeezeboxserver
    4. Tried the BBC R4 'on demand' - "Connecting" displayed briefly then back to resting current time display
    5. Same for live (overseas)

I'll now try the second suggestion
    Last edited by mikebainbridge; 2018-02-27 at 17:27.

1. Removed previous line with MAC address
    2. Added this line - note I removed the double space before the first pipe and before the second $FILES in your example

Code:
    aac pcm Squeezebox *
            # IF
    3. Squeezebox runs but slow so it's not "seeing" the name

Thanks for helping though - I'm going to have to do some reading as this is not in my field of expertise - Happy to try any suggestions and if I come up with something I'll be sure to post !

Quote Originally Posted by mikebainbridge View Post
    1. Removed previous line with MAC address
    2. Added this line - note I removed the double space before the first pipe and before the second $FILES in your example

Code:
    aac pcm Squeezebox *
            # IF
    3. Squeezebox runs but slow so it's not "seeing" the name

Thanks for helping though - I'm going to have to do some reading as this is not in my field of expertise - Happy to try any suggestions and if I come up with something I'll be sure to post !
    I said use a custom-convert.conf file. Do NOT change the convert.conf file

It "feels" like a syntax error in your convert.conf file.

Attach your convert.conf file to a post so I can check - spaces and tabs and end-of-line are critical (i.e a file edited on Windows editor often have incorrect end of line sequence)

Use the MAC address version - that is guaranteed to work. Don't use the "Squeezebox" one as I couldn't test that - e.g. there may be a case or spelling issue.

Check what is being executed by enabling logging player.source to debug and then try to play a BBC station. Note time of start of test, wait 30 secs and copy from log every line between start of test until end into a text file, zip and attach to a post. Do NOT edit any out - sometimes missing lines
    Last edited by bpa; 2018-02-27 at 16:31. Reason: just noticed OS is Linux