Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Basic amp with auto on/off?

I'm wondering what options there are for small amplifiers that will turn off after a period of silence, and power on when audio is playing (i.e., a low power standby that will only power the speakers when audio is playing).

I've got a little Lepai TA2020 amp and Raspberry Pi setup in my kitchen, with the amp in a cupboard. I constantly forget to open the door and switch it off. Something more automatic would make a great pair with the Pi.

Open to any amp suggestions that would require a digital stream as well (with a Pi DAC add-on using optical out or whatnot). Cheers.

Run a relay off the pi to turn it off. Or, just leave it on. Really it's no big deal.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

I've been using a cheap 3.3v relay.

Wire it into the amps power feed, then hook it up to the raspberry pi GPIO pins and then use the -G <Rpi GPIO#>:<H/L> options to trigger it on and off as you turn the squeeze player on and off. Working great for me on a variety of picoreplayers and also generic debian installs (although I can't remember if I installed more to get these to work...)

Have you taken a look at the Volt and Volt+ from Allo? Specifically designed amplifiers for a raspberry pi. I haven't used one personally so can't comment on how good they are, but it might give you a small and simple solution to the problem?
    LMS Server: Mac Mini with music library on Drobo 5D
    Living Room: Raspberry Pi + AlloBoss -> Onkyo A 9010 -> KEF LS50
    Study: Raspberry Pi -> Audio Engine D1 -> Audio Addon Pro T3
    Kitchen: Squeezebox Radio
    Bedroom: SB3 -> B&W Zeppelin

Quote Originally Posted by s2kiwi View Post
    I've been using a cheap 3.3v relay.

Wire it into the amps power feed, then hook it up to the raspberry pi GPIO pins and then use the -G <Rpi GPIO#>:<H/L> options to trigger it on and off as you turn the squeeze player on and off. Working great for me on a variety of picoreplayers and also generic debian installs (although I can't remember if I installed more to get these to work...)
    You do need to install and enable gpio access from command line iirc. A short Google will reveal all no doubt.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

[QUOTE=drmatt;906786]You do need to install and enable gpio access from command line iirc. A short Google will reveal all no doubt.

Checked last night, it just works with picoreplayer, but for other linux installs I had to enable it. I believe it's as easy as:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install python-dev python-rpi.gpio

I can also confirm you can have more than one player/relay/amp per pi. I'm currently successfully running two separate players with corresponding relays/amps on one instance of Picoreplayer.
    Last edited by s2kiwi; 2018-02-13 at 18:59. Reason: added 'two player

Great stuff. Thanks all!