Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Artists missing from browse by artist

I have this weird issue. It's the same on all players, browser UI, Organge Squeeze android app and Squeeze Control app in WIN10.

I have my server set so that it clears the library and rescans everynight at 2am and the problem has persisted since I noticed it a couple of days ago. I'm digitizing a pretty large collection of albums for my new website https://ctproduced.com I know I'd digitized 3x Hank Crawford albums over the weekend. Monday I sat down in the office and browse>By Artist>H and its not there.

However, if I search for Hank Crawford the artist, albums and tracks are all there.

Any ideas?

IMAGE BY ARTIST
    Name:  by artist.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  122.5 KB

IMAGE BY SEARCH
    Name:  artist search.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  121.1 KB
    Last edited by cathcam; 2020-03-27 at 12:44. Reason: will add images from other system...
    ---------------------------
    http://markcathcart.com/about

Running LMS Server, currently 7.9.2 on Headless WIN10 System; music on Netgear ReadyNAS; Transporter(Living Room)+Duet Controller; Squeezebox Touch(Master Bedroom), (2x)Boom(Office, Patio), Radio(Guest Bedroom), Classic(garage), Duet(basement). Also using Squeezeplay on Windows 10. Use Orange Squeeze app on Android.

I'm not familiar with Squeeze Control so this may be normal but your screen shots show Hank Crawford found by search under "C" not "H"

So is it also listed in Artists under C?

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by KeBul View Post
    I'm not familiar with Squeeze Control so this may be normal but your screen shots show Hank Crawford found by search under "C" not "H"

So is it also listed in Artists under C?

Kev
    I should have said, I have it set to the same as my physical collection by firstname/lastname. If you look at the screen shots, you can see Hank Mobley is under H and yes, Hank Crawford is under C, but why? Especially when Craig Armstrong is under C not A and Creed Taylor, which follows is under C not T. See this image.

Name:  hank crawford.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  219.3 KB

Running LMS Server, currently 7.9.2 on Headless WIN10 System; music on Netgear ReadyNAS; Transporter(Living Room)+Duet Controller; Squeezebox Touch(Master Bedroom), (2x)Boom(Office, Patio), Radio(Guest Bedroom), Classic(garage), Duet(basement). Also using Squeezeplay on Windows 10. Use Orange Squeeze app on Android.

Quote Originally Posted by cathcam View Post
    I should have said, I have it set to the same as my physical collection by firstname/lastname. If you look at the screen shots, you can see Hank Mobley is under H and yes, Hank Crawford is under C, but why? Especially when Craig Armstrong is under C not A and Creed Taylor, which follows is under C not T. See this image.
    You may have a compilation album where Hank Crawford is tagged as Crawford, Hank?
    Server - LMS 8.0.0 Pi4B 4GB/Flirc case/pCP 6.0.0 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Squeezebox Touch > Edifier R980T

Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 7xRPi

You might want to check all(!) of the Hank Crawford files for an ARTISTSORT tag. If only one is set, it'll apply to all of them.
    QLMS 8.0.0@2.10.06 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.28 dedicated to me. :D / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

Quote Originally Posted by dolodobendan View Post
    You might want to check all(!) of the Hank Crawford files for an ARTISTSORT tag. If only one is set, it'll apply to all of them.
    This may be the winner!

I use MP3TAG all the time to tag the recorded vinyl album from DISCOGS listings and added ARTISTSORT column and there it was. It's an interesting question as to how it got there, and if LMS should actually offer to override it. I'll post tomorrow when the scan is rerun. THANK YOU!
    Name:  Artist sort.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  219.1 KB

I use MP3TAG all the time to tag the recorded vinyl album from DISCOGS listings and added ARTISTSORT column and there it was.
    Well, it's always ARTISTSORT, so...

and if LMS should actually offer to override it.
    I don't think there should be an option. Just don't set ARTISTSORT. It would be nice to have an overview of what ARTIST actually uses an ARTISTSORT tag, though.

I'll post tomorrow when the scan is rerun. THANK YOU!
    Always happy to help.
    QLMS 8.0.0@2.10.06 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.28 dedicated to me. :D / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

BINGO!

Yep that did it. It kind of makes no sense that one track, or in this case one album, which looks like it was purchased from iTunes, could cause the artist to be sorted completely ignoring the other albums. Creating a separate entry for just this album would be understandable.

Does anyone know of a way to tell LMS to ignore albumsort?

Otherwise, I think I'll have a go at writing a powershell script that scans the whole music library and clears that field, if present.

Thanks again!Name:  solved.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  158.9 KB

BINGO!

Does anyone know of a way to tell LMS to ignore albumsort?

Otherwise, I think I'll have a go at writing a powershell script that scans the whole music library and clears that field, if present.
    Since you're using mp3tag anyway, just load your library into mp3tag and remove the ARTISTSORT tags.

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdk View Post
    Since you're using mp3tag anyway, just load your library into mp3tag and remove the ARTISTSORT tags.
    err no. I'm not retagging 23,914 tracks just to catch a few random ones that screw up a sort.

I know mp3tag is powerful, but I don't think it does conditional logic does it?

I backup my primary NAS to a secondary NAS using rsync, and backup the secondary NAS to the cloud using iDrive, changing the tags in a file causes it to get backed again, and would chain the whole library to get duplicated twice. Neither rsync or iDrive clients delete duplicate files and I would guess my backup NAS would fill, and I'd bust through my paid level on iDrive.

As I said, now I know that the problem is, I'll just write a powershell script to look at files individually and only change them if ARTISTSORT is set.

This seems to be a good place to start http://rickgouin.com/use-powershell-to-edit-mp3-tags/
    Last edited by cathcam; Yesterday at 10:31.