Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mac OS X and IO::Socket::SSL:

I have a late 2012 Mac-mini running a fresh install of High Sierra

I have LMS installed

Logitech Media Server Version: 8.1.0 - 1608447134 @ Sun Dec 20 08:03:35 CET 2020
    Hostname: ronnies-Mac-mini.local
    Server IP Address: 192.168.1.113
    Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
    Operating system: macOS 10.13.6 - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: x86_64
    Perl Version: 5.18.2 - darwin-thread-multi-2level
    Audio::Scan: 1.02
    IO::Socket::SSL: 1.966
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)
    Total Players Recognized: 2
    If I run

/Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server/slimserver.pl

I get

Code:
    ronnies-Mac-mini:~ ronnie$ /Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server/slimserver.pl
    You're  using a rather old version of IO::Socket::SSL (v1.966) - please try to  update to at least 2.020 for improved compatibility.
    [20-12-20  09:39:36.2610] main::init (388) Starting Logitech Media Server (v8.1.0,  1608447134, Sun Dec 20 08:03:35 CET 2020) perl 5.018002 -  darwin-thread-multi-2level
    [20-12-20 09:39:37.0048]  Slim::Networking::UDP::init (40) FATAL: There is already another copy of  the Logitech Media Server running on this machine. (Address already in  use)
    [20-12-20 09:39:37.0053] Log::Log4perl::Logger::and_die (868)  Warning: FATAL: There is already another copy of the Logitech Media  Server running on this machine. (Address already in use) at  /Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server/lib/Log/Log4perl/Logger.pm  line 900
    ronnies-Mac-mini:~ ronnie$
    I am aware of this post

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post925539

But it is now two years old and I don't know if the procedure is still relevent.

I also don't fully understand how to perform the tasks listed.

I have also seen the post referenced by forum members offering assistance to people with problems running LMS on a Mac OS.

Please, would some one be so kind, as to devote a little time on a breakdown (how-to) of how to perform and update IO::Socket::SSL v1.966 to 2.020 (or even IO::Socket::SSL: 2.066 that I have on my raspberry pi ).

Many thanks

ronnie

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post925539
    >>
    >> But it is now two years old and I don't know if the procedure is still
    >> relevent.

I'd say it still is.

>> I also don't fully understand how to perform the tasks listed.

What particular step are you struggling with? It's easier to answer
    specific questions than try to explain everything from scratch.

--

Michael

Hi Michael, thanks for responding, I realise you are busy with lots of stuff just lately

Doing stuff on a Mac normally involves a lot of google for me

so, here is Tony T's post:

I tried that a day or so ago without success (found the same sites, and more, googling)
    (Note: The paths given in the 1st comment of that blog post is not the path used when a new version of openssl is installed on OS X (see 2) below for the correct path)
    I installed the newer version of openssl and then reran /usr/bin/perl -MCPAN -e 'install Net::SSLeay' (and IO::Socket::SSL)

Now I'm thinking that possibly the update did not re-install with the newer openssl since the latest versions of Net::SSLeay and IO::Socket::SSL were already installed, so I tried a force install with cpan and...

SUCCESS!!!

I can now access Band's Campout and install Material Skin.

Anyone having this problem with macOS, these are the steps to perform:

1) D/L and install the current openssl (https://www.openssl.org) (read the INSTALL file for instructions)
    2) Set paths:
    export CPATH=/usr/local/include/openssl
    export LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
    3) If you have an updated Perl in /usr/local/bin, make sure your path 1st points to /usr/bin
    export PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
    4) sudo /usr/bin/perl -MCPAN -e 'install Net::SSLeay'
    5) sudo /usr/bin/perl -MCPAN -e 'install IO::Socket::SSL'

If still not working, try a force install with cpan:
    1) sudo cpan
    2) force install Net::SSLeay
    3) force install IO::Socket::SSL
    Well first of all, the version to download is not stated (I'm guessing that it is 1.1.1)

Do I just download to home or make a folder?

I downloaded and looked at the install notes and I'm not sure if I should have any tools or dependencies already installed (currently I have Brew, which I used for lame).

It seems that I have to do a git-clone and build.

Regarding the setting of paths, from where in terminal are these commands issued ?

I guess I don't have to bother about updating Perl ?

I realise that this is all pretty basic stuff.

I have gleaned some procedures from posts describing how to build squeezelite, jivelite and librespot, for example.

But I am "a bear of little brain" and sometimes a little paw holding is greatly appreciated

ronnie

Hi Man in a van - it turns out I just did this exact thing a few days ago on my mac, which is currently running Mojave. I assume it's the exact same process. Since I've been mooching off the expertise of others in this forum for years now maybe I can actually help!

Well first of all, the version to download is not stated (I'm guessing that it is 1.1.1)
    * I downloaded 1.1.1i from here: https://www.openssl.org/source/openssl-1.1.1i.tar.gz

Do I just download to home or make a folder?
    * It downloaded a .tar.gz that I double clicked and it created a folder of the same name. I moved that folder into a temporary directory, but I don't think it matters - you could leave it in your Downloads folder.

I downloaded and looked at the install notes and I'm not sure if I should have any tools or dependencies already installed (currently I have Brew, which I used for lame).
    * I do have brew on this computer but not for perl and I don't think it matters. All I had to do to install was to open a terminal and "cd" into the openssl folder and then run the four commands that they say to run when reading the INSTALL file located in the openssl folder. Namely:
    $ ./config
    $ make
    $ make test
    $ make install
    * this created some new openssl magic in the same path that is referenced in the CPATH of Tony T's post
    * sidebar: I just learned that instead of having to type out the full path when "cd"-ing, you can type cd and then drag the folder from Finder into the terminal window and it auto-types the path for you. slick.

It seems that I have to do a git-clone and build.
    * I didn't have to use git. I just downloaded open ssl from the link above (which is referenced here if you don't want to follow the direct link: https://www.openssl.org/source/ )
    * At this point I just followed Tony's post verbatim which the exception of modifying the path since I do not have another perl on this machine, or at least I don't think I do. In any case, it worked without modifying the path for me.
    * One other note - when running the make commands (I think it was make install) it asks some questions about yes/no if you want to do certain tests. I just chose the default answers or yes if there wasn't a default and it completed successfully

Regarding the setting of paths, from where in terminal are these commands issued ?
    * I don't think it matters since it is calling out full paths of everything. I never left the openssl directory when calling these commands

I guess I don't have to bother about updating Perl ?
    * I didn't. I just followed the commands

* After it was done installing I just rebooted and the IO:Socket::SSL was updated according to the LMS page.

Hope this helps!

Thanks the_arm! As this is nothing I've done in more than a year, I'm
    happy to see somebody's fresh responses :-)

--
    --

Michael

Thanks the_arm! As this is nothing I've done in more than a year, I'm
    happy to see somebody's fresh responses :-)

--
    --

Michael

And so am I , thanks to you also Michael

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by the_arm View Post
    Hi Man in a van - it turns out I just did this exact thing a few days ago on my mac, which is currently running Mojave. I assume it's the exact same process. Since I've been mooching off the expertise of others in this forum for years now maybe I can actually help!

Hope this helps!
    Lovely word, mooching. I immediately thought of the song about Minnie, but decided that seasonal cheeriness is better served with some of this,

@the-arm

That is what I needed, many thanks, my idea of how to proceed was not too far off I'll give it a go later today.

Stay safe

ronnie
    Last edited by Man in a van; 2020-12-21 at 03:18.

Well it worked

Logitech Media Server Version: 8.1.0 - 1608459382 @ Sun Dec 20 11:33:23 CET 2020

Hostname: ronnies-Mac-mini.local

Server IP Address: 192.168.1.113
    Server HTTP Port Number: 9000

Operating system: macOS 10.13.6 - EN - utf8

Platform Architecture: x86_64
    Perl Version: 5.18.2 - darwin-thread-multi-2level
    Audio::Scan: 1.02
    IO::Socket::SSL: 2.068

Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)

Total Players Recognized: 1
    I had no questions to answer during the "make install" process

but during

Code:
    sudo /usr/bin/perl -MCPAN -e 'install Net::SSLeay'
    I foolishly typed "y" instead of "n"

and the install was rejected.

I logged in again from my Windows Desktop using Putty and reran the command, with "n".

Same result, so I typed in the "force commands " and rebooted.

Success

ronnie

It appears that something went wrong in the "make" proccess.

openssl update.txt

> Well it worked

Excellent!

--

Michael

You're right - in case anyone finds this thread later, now that I think about it I didn't have questions during "make install" either, it was during the perl commands as well. I do remember that there was one question that didn't have a default y/n, but now I'm not sure which way I answered it. I would have guessed "yes", but it sounds like that wasn't successful for you.

In any case, I'm glad that you were able to get it installed!

...and thanks for the youtube link! Now I've got something new to listen to today.

cheers,
    Aaron