Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rodry
    • Mar 2010

Boom Died...

On Feb 12, 2018 7:10 AM, "bpa" <bpa.8ckw6n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
    wrote:
    >
    >
    > The plug are compatible but that does not means the amps are
    > sufficient.
    >
    > The PSU for Radio is rated at 18v @ 1A
    >
    > Boom PSU is 12V @2.5A or 18V @ 1.67A
    >
    > So using Radio PSU would probably not have enough power.
    >
    >
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------

BPA,

I have never seen anyone answer a technical question with such lack of
    technical understanding.

You cannot do what you wrote. The Boom PSU is 12 VDC, it will not put out
    18 VDC ever.

Plugging in the Radio PSU which is 50% higher voltage the Boom requires
    will likely destroy the Boom.

If the original poster did what you suggested, he would likely destroy his
    Boom and you would be responsible.

Please do not answer technical questions when you don't even understand
    fundamental DC voltage laws.

Go take a electronics course please.

Thank you,

David

2 Squeezebox Boom | 2 Squeezebox Touch | Eversolo LMS 8.5.0 on QNAP | DMP-A6 | Squeezebox Radio | Dac32 | Hifi-Berry Dac
  • rodry
    • Mar 2010

Boom Died...

Ten days ago my Boom died after 10 years of honorable work...
    Fisrt symptom fading display, then the dead... I try to change wifi card, reset, but nothing to do...
    My daughter was five years old when I had bought Boom... today she says "I miss my Boom daddy"
    Bye to the best Streamer device!
    Last edited by rodry; 2018-02-11, 10:13.
    2 Squeezebox Boom | 2 Squeezebox Touch | Eversolo LMS 8.5.0 on QNAP | DMP-A6 | Squeezebox Radio | Dac32 | Hifi-Berry Dac

Comment

• karlek
      • Apr 2015

Did you try another power supply either?

Comment

• rodry
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by karlek
        Did you try another power supply either?
        Yes...

Comment

• karlek
          • Apr 2015

What a pity!
          Maybe @JoeMuc2009 has another advice or even a diagnosis.

Comment

• JoeMuc2009
            • Jan 2009

Hey there,

hope I can help. Is the Boom still visible on your network by any chance so you could control it in your browser? Or directly via infrared remote control? In that case, it may be just the display's power supply that failed. This kind of fault can be fixed easily.
            How do the button backlights behave on power-up? Do you observe any flicker or randomness in the backlight?
            There is a strange "sudden death" issue with Booms nobody knows how to recover. I have two units in this mode here, an no repair approach helped so far. I hope it's not that.
            On the other hand, Booms are still available in eBay or similar. They are still not cheap but nothing better is available nowadays...

Regards,
            Joe
            sigpic

PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?ri...50753#allposts

Comment

• rodry
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by JoeMuc2009
              Hey there,

hope I can help. Is the Boom still visible on your network by any chance so you could control it in your browser? Or directly via infrared remote control? In that case, it may be just the display's power supply that failed. This kind of fault can be fixed easily.
              How do the button backlights behave on power-up? Do you observe any flicker or randomness in the backlight?
              There is a strange "sudden death" issue with Booms nobody knows how to recover. I have two units in this mode here, an no repair approach helped so far. I hope it's not that.
              On the other hand, Booms are still available in eBay or similar. They are still not cheap but nothing better is available nowadays...

Regards,
              Joe
              hey Joe, thank's for replay!
              first of all the display has low light (but still working before dead).
              When I power up all Buttons back lights start immediatly (strange behavior...)
              Reset with remote and + ... no success
              I try to change Power with another (from my boom radio) but no difference.
              I try to connect Boom via LAN (removing wi-fi card and changing it) but no difference
              the boom is invisible from network (wi-fi and lan)
              It seems in a hang status...
              I disassemble it to replace wi-fi card and looking for other problems, but it isn't simple to find where is the fault...

Comment

• bpa
                • Oct 2005

Please clarify

Did you test with an exact same Boom powersupply or a Power supply for the newer SB Radio ?

The plug are compatible but that does not means the amps are sufficient.

The PSU for Radio is rated at 18v @ 1A

Boom PSU is 12V @2.5A or 18V @ 1.67A

So using Radio PSU would probably not have enough power.

Comment

• JoeMuc2009
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by rodry
                  I try to change Power with another (from my boom radio) but no difference.
                  Bad idea! The Squeezebox Radio uses 18 Volts, the Boom only 12 Volts. Connecting a Radio's power supply will probably destroy the Boom.
                  You may be lucky and it's just a few voltage regulators that were blown but it's hard to say where to start. Could just as well turn out that the Boom is a victim of the sudden death syndrome and would not even come back to life after replacing all blown components.
                  I can give it a try but this is practically hopeless, sorry...
                  sigpic

Comment

• bpa
                    • Oct 2005

Bad idea! The Squeezebox Radio uses 18 Volts, the Boom only 12 Volts
                    IIRC Boom can take up to 18V - I have a pre-production unit and they were supplied with 18V PSU but ran warm. Production units have 12V and they are the only approved ones.

Booms have a very large current draw on power up.

Comment

• Man in a van
                      • Jan 2011

Power Supply

I have just checked the Italian site without any luck, but the still have some for sale in Germany

If you want to check for other countries, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the displayed country flag.

Ronnie

Comment

• bpa
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by djringjr
                        You cannot do what you wrote. The Boom PSU is 12 VDC, it will not put out
                        18 VDC ever.

Plugging in the Radio PSU which is 50% higher voltage the Boom requires
                        will likely destroy the Boom.
                        I never said the same PSU put out two voltages.
                        I have two Booms
                        - a pre-production units as I was part of beta test which has a 18V PSU original supplied by Slimdevices
                        - a production unit which has a 12V PSU original supplied by Slimdevices.

The OP did not say whether they had a pre-production unit or a production unit.

IIRC Plugging in 18V will not destroy the boom as the internal voltage regulators are able to cope with 18V

Look back in the forum and you will find there are many posts where users have created supplies - battery and otherwise which suppied at more than 12V e.g. http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...l=1#post604549 and one from Dean founder of Slimdevices http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...l=1#post333849

I am stating the facts.
                        Last edited by bpa; 2018-02-13, 08:37. Reason: typos and link to old forum post

Comment

• JoeMuc2009
                          • Jan 2009

This isn't taking a good direction. BPA may be right eventually! I have spent days analyzing defective Boom boards and to my surprise never found a single classic voltage regulator. Up to now I thought this probably indicates a very low tolerance towards other voltages than specified. But found quite the opposite when I reviewed it today.
                          There are multiple converters, and that's all I could find that deals with power rail generation:

U3: TI TPS61080: HIGH VOLTAGE DC/DC BOOST CONVERTER WITH 0.5-A/1.3-A INTEGRATED SWITCH
                          generates +55V grid voltage for the VFD, takes up to 6V input, is not directly connected to +12V rail but fed from U10

U7: TI TPS40222: 1.6-A, 1.25-MHz BUCK CONVERTER IN A 3 mm × 3 mm SON PACKAGE
                          probably dedicated to creating CPU voltage (1.2V), takes up to 8V input, is not directly connected to +12V rail but fed from U10

U10: TI TPS54286: 2-A DUAL NON-SYNCHRONOUS CONVERTER WITH INTEGRATED HIGH-SIDE MOSFET
                          probably the main regulator, takes up to 30V input, is directly connected to the +12V power jack
                          half of U10 is creating supply voltage of 3.3V for the majority of the ICs on the board such as
                          • U12 (Realtek NIC)
                          • U14 (Xilinx FPGA)
                          • the obscure U13 (SN0801033) I cannot find any datasheet for
                          • U26 (Flash EEPROM)
                          • U25 (DRAM)
                          • U24 (CPU)
                          • and some more.

the other half creates the supply voltage (+5V I think) for U3 and U7, and apparently also the low-voltage part of the VFD display

Furthermore, directly connected to the input +12V are the digital amplifier chips:

U9: TI TPA3100D2: 20-W STEREO CLASS-D AUDIO POWER AMPLIFIER (for bass woofers)
                          U11: TI TPA3101D2: 10-W STEREO CLASS-D AUDIO POWER AMPLIFIER (for tweeters)

U9 and U11 both tolerate input up to 26V.
                          Here's my imagination of the internal power rails:

So yeah, actually I cannot see a reason after all why more than +12V input should do any harm. All the regulating components which are in the path of the +12V input rail are capable of taking more than double that. It seems there is no sensitive component directly attached to the input jack that would not tolerate a good amount more than +12V.
                          Certainly one should not generally assume that each low-voltage device can take an arbitrary amount of more voltage than the label on the box says but in this case we have a good margin.
                          I don't have any schematics by the way. Just like everybody else I'm condemned to reverse engineering, and not particularly good at it. Please don't take my word for granted.
                          Last edited by JoeMuc2009; 2018-02-13, 11:08.
                          sigpic

Comment

• bpa
                            • Oct 2005

This isn't taking a good direction. BPA may be right eventually!
                            This post from Caleb - one of the Slimdevices developers of the Boom confirms that 18V is OK.

It also confirms that 30W is needed for peak power so a 18v @ 1A - will be underpowered at high volumne but OK for normal but it is not clear whether 18V @ 1A can supply the initial significant power up rush.
                            The above "external battery pack for a mobile Boom" thread is very interesting in respect of the power system as Boom has a big power rush at power up with many contributions from Caleb and Dean.
                            Last edited by bpa; 2018-02-13, 11:33.

Comment

• rodry
                              • Mar 2010

... in these days I think to put HifyBerry inside my boom: i try to use line in and for a strange reason it resuscitates... I think it's an easter effect

Comment

Working...