Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

IR Range Seems To Have Decreased

Today I found that one of my beloved Squeezebox Touch units was no longer responding to IR from remotes. Upon further investigation, I learned that it will respond but only at short range (under 10'). Is this something that happens with these units, and can it be repaired? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    Today I found that one of my beloved Squeezebox Touch units was no longer responding to IR from remotes. Upon further investigation, I learned that it will respond but only at short range (under 10'). Is this something that happens with these units, and can it be repaired? Thanks.
    Simple stuff first, have you tried new batteries ?

Other than that have you another Touch you can try the remote on, emitters are more likely to fail then receivers.

I suspect either emitter or receiver will be repairable

Jeff

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    Simple stuff first, have you tried new batteries ?

Other than that have you another Touch you can try the remote on, emitters are more likely to fail then receivers.

I suspect either emitter or receiver will be repairable

Jeff
    Thanks for your reply. I tried new remote batteries and also a second IR controller with no improvement. I have put my backup Touch into service and it works normally.

Seems like the IR receiver in the original Touch is failing. Would like to have it fixed so I still have a "backup".

There have been quite a few reports on failing IR receivers over the years. One post on this subject describes a possible repair.

Quote Originally Posted by alfista View Post
    There have been quite a few reports on failing IR receivers over the years. One post on this subject describes a possible repair.
    Thanks for that link! I swapped out the power adapter on the "original" Touch and brought it back to normal IR range. I'm curious to see if the "backup" Touch continues to work fine with the original power adapter. It's good so far.

Try replacing power adaptor

I have 2 squeezebox touch. One of them stopped responding to the remote. Using the same remote only one of them responded. I switched units and found out the problem wasn't the remote or the unit, it was the power adapter. I replaced with a very cheap one from aliexpress and problem fixed!
    https://es.aliexpress.com/item/40001...274263c0F9hHFx

I can now turn it on and play music with alexa and an universal wifi ir remote, very happy