Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Other options to SBT..??

Hi all

Reading this months HifiChoice mag-IssueNo. 433 Feb (UK) there was a letter From a SBT user, who felt due to its
    Hi-res options was better option than SONOS..(imho..correct). Sadly he stated the SBT is no longer made (Correct again)..
    Also that the Squeezebox server support is Diminishing (Debatable!) His CD RIPS sit on a Qnap HS251.
    his question was other Multi room options currently for sale....

The Hifi mag audio geek replied: that he wasnt alone in being afan of the SBT.It was ahead of its time (I agree)..
    but now "past its sell by date" (How dare he!!!)

The audio geek recommended a Blue Sound NODE2. personallyIam not really into multi room music.Iam happy with just a good hifi set and while theres support Fot my SBT will continue to use and enjoy.

But just out of interest...Apart from Sonos and leaving Naim and Linn out of it (I want real world pricing)What would you use instead..??

Theres still IMHO nothing that beats the SBT for great Interface, price etc...Oh yeh and sound...But not hearing something like the Node 2 Cant really say if it sounds that much better......

Quote Originally Posted by daleyb View Post
    Hi all

Reading this months HifiChoice mag-IssueNo. 433 Feb (UK) there was a letter From a SBT user, who felt due to its
    Hi-res options was better option than SONOS..(imho..correct). Sadly he stated the SBT is no longer made (Correct again)..
    Also that the Squeezebox server support is Diminishing (Debatable!) His CD RIPS sit on a Qnap HS251.
    his question was other Multi room options currently for sale....

The Hifi mag audio geek replied: that he wasnt alone in being afan of the SBT.It was ahead of its time (I agree)..
    but now "past its sell by date" (How dare he!!!)

The audio geek recommended a Blue Sound NODE2. personallyIam not really into multi room music.Iam happy with just a good hifi set and while theres support Fot my SBT will continue to use and enjoy.

But just out of interest...Apart from Sonos and leaving Naim and Linn out of it (I want real world pricing)What would you use instead..??

Theres still IMHO nothing that beats the SBT for great Interface, price etc...Oh yeh and sound...But not hearing something like the Node 2 Cant really say if it sounds that much better......
    Raspberry Pi with a touch screen and a hifiberry HAT DAC, easily equal to an SBT sonically.

Name:  picoreplayer and frog.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  103.8 KB
    Study/Server - LMS 7.9.2 - Pi3B+/pCP 3.5.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite, 25K library and playlists on WDMyCloud, LMS cache on a USB stick (formatted ntfs).
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 3.5.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP 3.5.0 > HiFiBerry AMP+/retro radio
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 3.5.0 > Edifier R980T
    In car - RPi3B/pCP in AP mode > HiFiBerry DAC+ > car's audio (files on a 2TB USB drive)
    Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 1xBoom

Other manufacturers are finally getting that music needs to be delivered this way now. Panasonic, Yamaha, a few others are doing multiroom sound systems now. Have to say I haven't tried any of them, I have a vast stockpile of SBTs, SBRs, two SBReceivers and enough raspberry Pis to mine bitcoin on..

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

nice one.Got the dac Hat part. But with the Interface shown how did you get that..Do you use a tablet..?

Sorry to sound atad bit dumb..But if yer dunno yer dunno! (Its called learning I guess!...)
    Last edited by daleyb; 2018-02-04 at 13:39.

No, that's not a tablet it's a Rasberry Pi with a connected Raspberry Pi touch screen. It runs piCorePlayer OS, the Interface is Jivelite, it emulates a Squeezebox Touch exactly.

It also runs LMS.

Name:  willy.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  56.3 KB
    Study/Server - LMS 7.9.2 - Pi3B+/pCP 3.5.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite, 25K library and playlists on WDMyCloud, LMS cache on a USB stick (formatted ntfs).
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 3.5.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP 3.5.0 > HiFiBerry AMP+/retro radio
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 3.5.0 > Edifier R980T
    In car - RPi3B/pCP in AP mode > HiFiBerry DAC+ > car's audio (files on a 2TB USB drive)
    Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 1xBoom

Here's a pretty good tutorial on building your own "Touch" - Building and Installing the Raspberry Pi 3 "Touch" Audio Streamer.

If your TOUCH still works, you're not losing anything related to sound quality by continuing to use it.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

[QUOTE=kidstypike;906037]No, that's not a tablet it's a Rasberry Pi with a connected Raspberry Pi touch screen. It runs piCorePlayer OS, the Interface is Jivelite, it emulates a Squeezebox Touch exactly.

It also runs LMS.

Got it! How easy or difficult it is to build it..I will check on tutorial . You right Garym my current touch is fine (and I have 2 sealed ones too)...Lets hope Support Continues.. But its always good to keep an eye out for the competition!

Also,Now my "Smart TVs " Ethernet Connected LMS, It picks up my Computer H/D..flacs and plays my Library great..Its a"win win"....and its all thanks to you Garym...(Not been on the DBPA site for awhile..Still not updated to the lastest version yet..)...Hope your well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Pattison View Post
    Here's a pretty good tutorial on building your own "Touch" - Building and Installing the Raspberry Pi 3 "Touch" Audio Streamer.
    I would like to have a go at this....But think I will wait till my 3 SBT's go wrong...(That should be a while yet...) and who knows how techs Gonna develop in a few years..?? its a great insight on how it works..thanks Jim for sharing..

[QUOTE=daleyb;906079]
    Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    No, that's not a tablet it's a Rasberry Pi with a connected Raspberry Pi touch screen. It runs piCorePlayer OS, the Interface is Jivelite, it emulates a Squeezebox Touch exactly.

It also runs LMS.

Got it! How easy or difficult it is to build it..I will check on tutorial . You right Garym my current touch is fine (and I have 2 sealed ones too)...Lets hope Support Continues.. But its always good to keep an eye out for the competition!

Also,Now my "Smart TVs " Ethernet Connected LMS, It picks up my Computer H/D..flacs and plays my Library great..Its a"win win"....and its all thanks to you Garym...(Not been on the DBPA site for awhile..Still not updated to the lastest version yet..)...Hope your well.
    Glad you're enjoying your squeezeboxes daleyb. I've got several Touches, Radios, and a Transporter in the closet for future backups. I used to have a Boom backup, but now its in use because my old Boom finally lost its display (otherwise still works).
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify