Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Podcast artwork

Hi,
    When browsing the podcasts list using the json-rpc interface - is there any way to retrieve the associated podcast artwork (image item in the feed)?

It does not seem to be returned by the 'podcast items' command by default. It is properly parsed and retrieved from an atom feed here (https://github.com/Logitech/slimserv...ts/XML.pm#L536), but I see no way of retrieving it other than navigating down the XMLBrowser structure and retrieve the first item for each feed, in which case the associated artwork is properly returned as the image parameter. However, that solution would be very expensive and unneccessary. I also tried to retrieve it using the /music/{item.id}/cover.jpg url, with no luck.

My usecase is generating a nicer looking podcast browsing menu for the mobile skin. This seems like a bug?
    Last edited by hephepphepp; 2018-02-02 at 03:20.

Podcast artowork

> When browsing the podcasts list using the json-rpc interface - is there
    > any way to retrieve the associated podcast artwork (image item in the
    > feed)?

I don't think there is.

> It does not seem to be returned by the 'podcast items' command by
    > default. It is properly parsed and retrieved from an atom feed here
    > (https://github.com/Logitech/slimserv...ts/XML.pm#L536),
    > but I see no way of retrieving it other than navigating down the
    > XMLBrowser structure and retrieve the first item for each feed, in which
    > case the associated artwork is properly returned as the image parameter.
    > However, that solution would be very expensive and unneccessary.

I believe that if you're serious about creating a UI, you'll have to go
    down that rabbit hole. Otherwise you'll always be trying to find a way
    to mimic the behaviour with some other means, or trying to figure out
    why things behave differently than on other UIs.

--

Michael

I understand, but I don't see any podcast artwork in the podcast list in the default user interface either. I have to explicitly click/select a podcast to see the artwork for a podcast. Since the information (artwork image url) obviously is available, I think both the default user interface, as well as the xmlbrowser/json-rpc-interface would benefit from receiving the image when requesting the podcast list.

Or ... ah, I see - each podcast feed isn't fetched/requested (from itunes or wherever) until the user explicitly has selected/expanded the specific podcast item? In that case the server can not know any artwork url when generating the list of podcasts (I assumed the server queried each feed asynchronously in the background somehow). (How I wish there was a Pocketcasts plugin available)

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    I believe that if you're serious about creating a UI, you'll have to go
    down that rabbit hole.
    Went down that rabbit hole :-) Caching the result (the mapping from podcast url to artwork url) clientside using localStorage so the lookup only happens once (in the background).