Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1

    piCorePlayer DSD playback

    I have piCorePlayer working fine for most things. I have tried enabling DSDPlayer, and it seems to try to play DSD files, but no audio. In looking in the LMS Server Settings, under DSDPlayer, it says: "This player supports native playback of DSD files. DSD-over-PCM should be configured on the player configuration interface.". However, I don't think my DAC supports native playback of DSD files. Is there a way to manually tell it to transcode to PCM? The DAC is a Schiit Modi USB DAC. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by aloomens View Post
    I have piCorePlayer working fine for most things. I have tried enabling DSDPlayer, and it seems to try to play DSD files, but no audio. In looking in the LMS Server Settings, under DSDPlayer, it says: "This player supports native playback of DSD files. DSD-over-PCM should be configured on the player configuration interface.". However, I don't think my DAC supports native playback of DSD files. Is there a way to manually tell it to transcode to PCM? The DAC is a Schiit Modi USB DAC. Thanks!
    Hello
    I have a quite similar problem and I already post a question and got a feedback
    Look here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...native-support

    In other words: if you do not eneable the DSDPLayer plugin, you can not play DSD files.
    If you enable the DSDPlayer plugin, then pCP stream to the DAC the DSD embedding the DSD stream in PCM
    There is a "pacth" to be applied that enable the native streaming of DSD without ebedding in PCM but anyway it is planned in a future realese of pCP the native support of DSD

    Anyway there is no problem to play DSD over PCM ( DoP )... no manipulation... it is bitperfect!
    The problem is that not always the player\DAC support high bitrate DoP

    Hope it can help.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Linvincible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    100

    LMS on Pcp with DSDPlayer

    Hello, I try to run LMS on the pcp
    when activating the DSDPlayer an error message on the player/DSDPlayer settings says:
    "DSDPlayer does not currently include a version of dsdplay which supports your server. DSD playback has been disabled for this player."
    Is there an updated plugin for pcp?
    thanks in advance for the answers!
    Syno 415+ with LMS 7.9 -> Picoreplayer 5.0 with Audio-GD I2S hdmi output -> PS Audio DirectStream -> Karan KAL reference mkIII-> 2x Karan KAM 900 -> Usher BE20 DMD. All powered from PS Audio P10.

  4. #4
    Senior Member paul-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,420
    Yes, there is, you have to install it manually from the extension page. It's pcp-dsdplayer.tcz
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

    Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

  5. #5
    Senior Member Linvincible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    100
    thanks, found it and it works now!
    pcp is really loaded now!

    Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Yes, there is, you have to install it manually from the extension page. It's pcp-dsdplayer.tcz
    Syno 415+ with LMS 7.9 -> Picoreplayer 5.0 with Audio-GD I2S hdmi output -> PS Audio DirectStream -> Karan KAL reference mkIII-> 2x Karan KAM 900 -> Usher BE20 DMD. All powered from PS Audio P10.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by steff View Post
    Hello
    I have a quite similar problem and I already post a question and got a feedback
    Look here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...native-support

    In other words: if you do not eneable the DSDPLayer plugin, you can not play DSD files.
    If you enable the DSDPlayer plugin, then pCP stream to the DAC the DSD embedding the DSD stream in PCM
    There is a "pacth" to be applied that enable the native streaming of DSD without ebedding in PCM but anyway it is planned in a future realese of pCP the native support of DSD

    Anyway there is no problem to play DSD over PCM ( DoP )... no manipulation... it is bitperfect!
    The problem is that not always the player\DAC support high bitrate DoP

    Hope it can help.
    I've gone through the same steps. This does work pretty well.
    However, depending on your system you may notice a degradation with sound quality when the pCP converts to PCM.

    I say this because I've been using this method with both a Touch and a pCP with a HiBerry Digi+ hat. I used the optical port from both devices to my Denon AVR X3400h. The Denon showed a PCM signal at 88.2kHz.
    After using this method for almost 2 years I just recently discovered that the Denon's built in Heos app can play DSD files natively. It can access my LMS directly. When I use the Heos method there is a noticeable improvement with the sound quality (fuller soundstage, clearer details). My speakers are just KEF LS50 with a KEF subwoofer. Nothing fancy. I was quite surprised at the improvement. I mistakenly assumed PCM would be indistinguishable from DSD on such a modest system.

    So bottom line, it's worth the effort if you can get native DSD to play.


    Signal from Touch or pCP w/HifiBerry
    https://i.imgur.com/lJ3tCYC.jpg


    Signal when access DSD file directly from AVR
    https://i.imgur.com/eFBYP80.jpg

  7. #7
    Senior Member kappclark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Southern VT, USA
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by tjp888 View Post
    I've gone through the same steps. This does work pretty well.
    However, depending on your system you may notice a degradation with sound quality when the pCP converts to PCM.

    I say this because I've been using this method with both a Touch and a pCP with a HiBerry Digi+ hat. I used the optical port from both devices to my Denon AVR X3400h. The Denon showed a PCM signal at 88.2kHz.
    After using this method for almost 2 years I just recently discovered that the Denon's built in Heos app can play DSD files natively. It can access my LMS directly. When I use the Heos method there is a noticeable improvement with the sound quality (fuller soundstage, clearer details). My speakers are just KEF LS50 with a KEF subwoofer. Nothing fancy. I was quite surprised at the improvement. I mistakenly assumed PCM would be indistinguishable from DSD on such a modest system.

    So bottom line, it's worth the effort if you can get native DSD to play.


    Signal from Touch or pCP w/HifiBerry
    https://i.imgur.com/lJ3tCYC.jpg


    Signal when access DSD file directly from AVR
    https://i.imgur.com/eFBYP80.jpg
    ----------

    I am thinking of upgrading AVR to Denon HEOS device --- how do u achieve the connection of Denon HEOS to LMS ?? Is it through DLNA ?

    THX,
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bill Clark, Windham, VT
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.3 - 1597698350 @ Tue Aug 18 04:13:31 CEST 2020
    Hostname: ubuntu-lms - ProxMox Virtual Environment 5.4-3 | Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
    piCorePlayer | piCorePlayer v6.0.0 | www v0005 | linux 4.19.105-pcpCore_v7 | piCore v10.3pCP | Squeezelite v1.9.6-1206-pCP
    -----------------------------------------------

  8. #8

    DSD Player plug-in update 1.04

    I've been unable to play DSD tracks on my Pi3/IQAudio/pCP/LMS system, although had previously done so with the same DAC using Rune, so I was fairly sure it should be possible. Updating manually via the extensions page as noted above didn't make any difference. I eventually found a post from Ralphy about updated ARM binaries being available on Sourceforge. I tried these a few days ago to no avail, but looking today noticed that there was now an 1.04 update to the LMS plugin. I manually copied this new version over and success, dsf files are now playing.

    Thank you all involved.
    Ian

    Library: Netgear NAS Duo
    Server: RPi3 / PiCorePlayer with LMS 8.0
    Main System: RPi2 / iQAudio DAC+ / PiCorePlayer
    Second System: RPiZero / iQAudio DAC Zero / PiCorePlayer
    PC: Squeezelite-X

  9. #9
    Senior Member ralphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,590
    Quote Originally Posted by IanHaynes View Post
    I've been unable to play DSD tracks on my Pi3/IQAudio/pCP/LMS system, although had previously done so with the same DAC using Rune, so I was fairly sure it should be possible. Updating manually via the extensions page as noted above didn't make any difference. I eventually found a post from Ralphy about updated ARM binaries being available on Sourceforge. I tried these a few days ago to no avail, but looking today noticed that there was now an 1.04 update to the LMS plugin. I manually copied this new version over and success, dsf files are now playing.

    Thank you all involved.
    v1.04 includes the dsdplay program for linux arm, armhf (pcp), i386, x86_64, freebsd amd64, and windows.

    The freebsd dsdplay requires the flac and libsoxr packages from ports. All other versions have the libraries built in.
    Ralphy

    1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

  10. #10
    HI, Im using a RPI4 and this card

    https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-a...4-p-14255.html

    Connected to my dac via i2s (HDMI)

    https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-w...r-p-12996.html

    When playing pcm file, it works fine, even 192/24, But it wont play DSD (DSF files)

    DSPplayer plugin is there, the extenstion above as well, but no luck.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •