Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    LastMix is significantly different to DSTM on its own. You would need to ask Michael Herger how it works but AFAIK it uses LastFM's database to create additions to your Playlist and is not Genre specific. If it finds the track it has chosen for you in your library or in an online source you have subscribed to then it adds it. If it can't find it it moves to the next suggestion.

I don't think it is as good as MusicIP but it certainly does the job nicely with only a few oddities coming through. It once threw me Rick Astley but I suspect that is a result of Michael's sense of humour.

As to the MusicIP on QNAP.
    The TS119 is indeed ARM and IIRC only has 256Mb RAM - personally I think it would struggle with anything other than a bog standard 7.9.x. Any transcoding may throw it and even if its supported I doubt it would handle Michael's Spotty plugin. That said as a NAS it is still a great little NAS. I have a TS109P that is still in play as a backup device for my TS419P (also ARM).

FYI I didn't go directly to a Pi plus NAS. Prior to that I was running a hacked Vortexbox (old PC) with files on the NAS via NFS.
    I moved off the VB as it was 2.3 (32 bit) and although it ran 7.9.x it wouldn't run Spotty. It would however have run MusicIP easily and does still run my Plex server (video content only).
    The latest VB is 2.4 (64 bit) so that would run 7.9.x and Spotty Ok but NOT MusicIP.

You have a bit of a dilemma here don't you?
    Last edited by d6jg; 2018-01-24 at 04:07.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

MusicIP on QNAP TS119

> LastMix is significantly different to DSTM on its own.

There's always that confusion around DSTM and other mixers: DSTM itself
    doesn't provide any mixing capability at all. It's the foundation for
    the mixers. It provides methods for mixers to get seed-information,
    handle the automix trigger etc. but it doesn't create any mix.

Then there are the mixers, using DSTM to automatically create mixes when
    playback would stop. DSTM calls out to whatever mixer is configured to
    be used. LastMix is one of them. RandomPlay is another one (part of
    stock LMS).

> You would need to
    > ask Michael Herger how it works but AFAIK it uses LastFM's database to
    > create additions to your Playlist and is not Genre specific. If it finds
    > the track it has chosen for you in your library or in an online source
    > you have subscribed to then it adds it. If it can't find it it moves to
    > the next suggestion.

That's correct. DSTM would tell LastMix: it's your turn! Get me some
    music! LastMix in response would ask DSTM to tell it about the music
    that recently played. Then LastMix takes that information, goes to
    Last.FM and tells it to return a list of tracks based on those seed
    tracks. LastMix then verifies whether they can be played somehow and
    tells DSTM to queue them up.

> I don't think it is as good as MusicIP but it certainly does the job

Agreed :-(. I've been a long time MIP user, but just gave up at some
    point, because maintaining it became too cumbersome.

> nicely with only a few oddities coming through. It once threw me Rick
    > Astley but I suspect that is a result of Michael's sense of humour.

No more Rick Astley code in LastMix IIRC! I did add it to SmartMix at
    some point. But no more. It's your musical taste.

--

Michael

An example from LastMix

The last track I chose myself is highlighted - the rest has come from LastMix. Some are from my Library, some are from Spotify

Name:  2018-01-24 11_23_12-Logitech Media Server.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  33.6 KB
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

MusicIP on QNAP TS119

Again, thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I've ordered a pi. I figure I can install necessary software (OS, LSM, MusicIP), configure and test it with a small set of music files, then swap it with my current QNAP/LMS/Transporter setup when I get things working. I plan to keep my music on the QNAP for now, but will remove the QNAP SSOTS/LMS installation when I do the swap.

I know I still have research to do, but am confused on a number of points. What's the difference between picoreplayer and LMS on the pi? The posts I've read are confusing. I'm not sure if the picoreplayer install is a substitute for LMS, or brings it along, or allows it to be installed with it. Which OS should I install on the pi for this? I'm guessing the NOOBS that is the pi Linux version, but haven't seen a definitive guideline on this (i.e., to support LMS & MusicIP). With MusicIP, which version should I install? Depending on which OS I install on the pi, if the NOOBS/Linus one, I'm assuming that I should attempt to install the Linux version of MusicIP. Is that correct? Of course, I don't know what I don't know. But, getting more of a handle on this would be helpful.

Thanks again!

piCorePlayer (pCP) is one of a small number of complete software systems for RPi.
    It includes an operating system and installable modules.
    Originally it was only used as a Squeezebox replacement - hence "Player" in the name.
    Later one of the installable modules was LMS - meaning that it can be both/or server and player.
    Probably best to ask further pCP questions in one of the pCP threads since it would no longer be about stuff on QNAP.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by rlc999 View Post
    Again, thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I've ordered a pi. I figure I can install necessary software (OS, LSM, MusicIP), configure and test it with a small set of music files, then swap it with my current QNAP/LMS/Transporter setup when I get things working. I plan to keep my music on the QNAP for now, but will remove the QNAP SSOTS/LMS installation when I do the swap.

I know I still have research to do, but am confused on a number of points. What's the difference between picoreplayer and LMS on the pi? The posts I've read are confusing. I'm not sure if the picoreplayer install is a substitute for LMS, or brings it along, or allows it to be installed with it. Which OS should I install on the pi for this? I'm guessing the NOOBS that is the pi Linux version, but haven't seen a definitive guideline on this (i.e., to support LMS & MusicIP). With MusicIP, which version should I install? Depending on which OS I install on the pi, if the NOOBS/Linus one, I'm assuming that I should attempt to install the Linux version of MusicIP. Is that correct? Of course, I don't know what I don't know. But, getting more of a handle on this would be helpful.

Thanks again!
    Start out with piCorePlayer and set up as LMS server only - there are howto's and lots of help over in the Linux section.
    Install LastMix and figure out if it will do what you want in conjunction with DSTM. If it doesn't then start looking at MusicIP installed on a Pi - this is where it will get interesting.
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

I thought I'd chip in to say that I've been running my TS-119 for years and it's been rock solid, with regular QNAP firmware updates (now 4.3.3), SSOTS 4.1.4, and LMS 7.9.0. So I wouldn't want to knock the TS-119 as an ongoing LMS server. However, it is showing its age, and can't handle the latest Radio Paradise plugin due to a linux deficiency. So I too have got myself a Raspberry PI 3 and run it with piCorePlayer 3.22 (with the beta settings to get everything as I'd like it), and it's works flawlessly. I think it's a good way to go to futureproof your LMS installation.

MusicIP on TS119 vs Raspberry Pi

I've configured a new Raspberry Pi 3 and am pretty pleased with the result. Thanks for the help and recommendations to this point. I can't say it was a straightforward process, but I got there. I finally decided to drop the QNAP TS119 altogether. Once I got the RPi running with picoreplayer, I realized I could mount a 1TB USB Seagate drive (which I happened to have lying around), plus make it visible on Network places on my PC. So, I can now have my iPad (Squeezepad) and Transporter operate off the RPi and USB drive, plus maintain my music library using my home windows network, and still run PC apps (MediaMonkey) off the USB drive as well. Again, it wasn't a completely straightforward process. So, if anyone has any interest in this configuration, and what I had to do to achieve it, let me know and I'll share details.

I still want to install MusicIP with SugarCube and need help. I've done a fair amount of reading on this (RPi forums, SpiceFly forums, and here), and remain confused. I've been pointed to a post on this forum on how to do this, but that post is from 2012, and is frankly above my head. Plus, I've learned that installation processes (like Samba) where the post says to use terminal emulation with PuTTY to accomplish something often has been overtaken by improvements to picoreplayer that allow such extensions to be done through the picoreplayer UI (I learned this with Samba).

Back to MusicIP, I'm not sure what I'm shooting for. Do I install a GUI version on my PC in order to fingerprint my music and then move the files to my RPI share? Most of my music is flac by the way. I assume that the mp3 fingerprint tags I've read about would still work with flac. Or, does the headless version do this on the fly, provided I can get it running under picoreplayer? Do I have to find instructions for how to install a linux version of headless MusicIP on the RPi using PuTTY? Do I have to worry about making sure the headless version of MusicIP will be set to run automatically on reboots? I'm assuming that I can activeate SugarCube, and thereby use MusicIP, through LMS plugins.

Any help on guidance on this would be much appreciated. It's helped and been appreciated to this point.
    Last edited by rlc999; 2018-02-03 at 10:00. Reason: typos