Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    23

    MusicIP on QNAP TS119

    I have a Transporter which I've had for a long time, and am still very happy with. I run SqueezeboxServer on a QNAP TS119 and have done so for a long time. I've not upgraded anything in quite awhile, so run SSOTS 4.12 and SqueezeboxServer 7.6.1.

    I'd like to install Music IP and use it with my Dynamic Playlists, and Dynamic Mix logic (plugins). I know MusicIP is no longer supported, but it seems to still work (if I download a Linux version for my QNAP), get it running on my TS119, and configure SBServer to work with it. And it doesn't appear that a comparable or better option exists.

    Can anyone offer advice on this (i.e., is this worth pursuing), and instructions? I confess the instructions I have found are confusing (Linux versus PC GUI for configuration, etc), getting MusicIP to run under SSOTS and load before SBServer, initiating the library scan, and configuring with SBServer, and disjointed. I'd be happy to upgrade SSOTS or SBServer if I need to for this, but haven't seen a reason that was motivating to this point.

    Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by rlc999; 2018-01-18 at 16:27.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    3,019
    Quote Originally Posted by rlc999 View Post
    I have a Transporter which I've had for a long time, and am still very happy with. I run SqueezeboxServer on a QNAP TS119 and have done so for a long time. I've not upgraded anything in quite awhile, so run SSOTS 4.12 and SqueezeboxServer 7.6.1.

    I'd like to install Music IP and use it with my Dynamic Playlists, and Dynamic Mix logic (plugins). I know MusicIP is no longer supported, but it seems to still work (if I download a Linux version for my QNAP), get it running on my TS119, and configure SBServer to work with it. And it doesn't appear that a comparable or better option exists.

    Can anyone offer advice on this (i.e., is this worth pursuing), and instructions? I confess the instructions I have found are confusing (Linux versus PC GUI for configuration, etc), getting MusicIP to run under SSOTS and load before SBServer, initiating the library scan, and configuring with SBServer, and disjointed. I'd be happy to upgrade SSOTS or SBServer if I need to for this, but haven't seen a reason that was motivating to this point.

    Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.
    The TS 119 is really too old to run LMS natively. My advice is don't even bother to try.
    I have a TS 419 which stores all my music but I am currently using a Raspberry Pi with piCorePlayer as LMS with it pointed at the network shares (NFS) on the QNAP. Works very well.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    The TS 119 is really too old to run LMS natively. My advice is don't even bother to try.
    If the 119 ran LMS before, why will it not run it now? LMS has not changed much..
    The OP's question is not about LMS, it is about MusicIP. I know that someone has apparently got MusicIP working on a PI, but I'm not sure this is much advantage over just installing it on his 119..

    I ran MusicIP on my QNAP under SSOTS for ages, and it was great. The 119 does not run QTS4.3, so you are in luck because (afaik) the MusicIP binaries are 32bit, and this will no longer work under QTS. Personally, I would upgrade LMS to the latest 7.9 (it will perform better than 7.6). Install MusicIP from within SSOTS (it's on the Extras tab). That will set it up to just work. I always installed the modified skin from the Spicefly website. Depending upon the size of your library, the fingerprinting may take a few days but it's a one-off exercise. I ran MusicIP like this for years with no issues, and no hassle on startup orders etc. The SSOTS I am running is 4.14 which came with the original QNAP LMS Qpkg. You may have to trawl to find a package that you can sideload (it is no longer an official QPKQ due to the Bash issue). Probably you ought to fix the Bash issue (instructions on the QNAP forum) if you want to stay this path unless your QNAP is really isolated.

    Note - I can no loner get Musicip to run under QTS, and I think this is due to it not being 64bit, so if you upgrade to QTS 4.3 then you will be screwed. Also, ideally once you have fingerprinted your music, it's best to write the fingerprint into the MP3 tags so you don't have to do it again, but that requires a windows machine. Also, make sure you back up the mmm.index file.
    Lots of useful info on spicefly.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    3,019
    Quote Originally Posted by yeomanspc View Post
    If the 119 ran LMS before, why will it not run it now? LMS has not changed much..
    The OP's question is not about LMS, it is about MusicIP. I know that someone has apparently got MusicIP working on a PI, but I'm not sure this is much advantage over just installing it on his 119..

    I ran MusicIP on my QNAP under SSOTS for ages, and it was great. The 119 does not run QTS4.3, so you are in luck because (afaik) the MusicIP binaries are 32bit, and this will no longer work under QTS. Personally, I would upgrade LMS to the latest 7.9 (it will perform better than 7.6). Install MusicIP from within SSOTS (it's on the Extras tab). That will set it up to just work. I always installed the modified skin from the Spicefly website. Depending upon the size of your library, the fingerprinting may take a few days but it's a one-off exercise. I ran MusicIP like this for years with no issues, and no hassle on startup orders etc. The SSOTS I am running is 4.14 which came with the original QNAP LMS Qpkg. You may have to trawl to find a package that you can sideload (it is no longer an official QPKQ due to the Bash issue). Probably you ought to fix the Bash issue (instructions on the QNAP forum) if you want to stay this path unless your QNAP is really isolated.

    Note - I can no loner get Musicip to run under QTS, and I think this is due to it not being 64bit, so if you upgrade to QTS 4.3 then you will be screwed. Also, ideally once you have fingerprinted your music, it's best to write the fingerprint into the MP3 tags so you don't have to do it again, but that requires a windows machine. Also, make sure you back up the mmm.index file.
    Lots of useful info on spicefly.com
    I take your point but it would be a PIA to get 7.9.x running. First you'f need to address the SSOTS Bash issue, then get LMS installed which will doubtless then need the SSL patches and only after all that MusicIP. I suppose that if you did get it all working you could sit back and relax because the QTS is never going to get upgraded on that age QNAP.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    245

    MusicIP on QNAP TS119

    Is Musicip on Pi so easy? I still see folk with issues getting that to work. I have not sorted the SSL issues on my Qnap . I think the conclusion is that you can do it either way, but both will require some hand crafting to get it up and running. I never bottomed out if the Bash exposure was really an issue if the NAS was not accessible externally, nor a worry if all it stored is music.
    Note to the OP - do what you feel most comfortable with (and if you want to buy a Pi). In either solution, there is plenty of help to get you over issues, but neither is plug and play.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    23

    MusicIP on QNAP TS119

    Thanks for this information. I guess I'll do some more research. I'm not familiar with the Bash issue, so will research that.

    One comment here that I've seen before is that MusicIP can be installed using SSOTS under an Extras tab. I don't have an Extras tab when I use the SSOTS web interface. I'm on SSOTS 4.12. Do I need to upgrade SSOTS to have an Extras tab and potentially have that as an option (i.e., to install MusicIP)? When I read SSOTS documentation or FAQ info, I've not run across anything on this topic/feature.

    I'm also worried that my TS119 no longer shows QPKG options for LMS (i.e., under the Applications menu). I'm not sure if upgrading my QTS might affect that or not (though that doesn't make sense to me, they used to be there, but not any longer). My QTS is 4.1.1.

    I'm happy to upgrade software or hardware, if I can be sure it'll accomplish what I'm looking to do (stick with my Transporter while it's still working, continue running LMS on a NAS, and install MusicIP). This thread however suggests that upgrading my NAS or QTS may prevent me from being able to use MusicIP. And, I'm trying to avoid a set-up where I need my NAS to access a PC to play and generate playlists.

    Again, thanks for the info. I'll do some more research and perhaps come back with more focused questions.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    3,019
    Quote Originally Posted by rlc999 View Post
    Thanks for this information. I guess I'll do some more research. I'm not familiar with the Bash issue, so will research that.

    One comment here that I've seen before is that MusicIP can be installed using SSOTS under an Extras tab. I don't have an Extras tab when I use the SSOTS web interface. I'm on SSOTS 4.12. Do I need to upgrade SSOTS to have an Extras tab and potentially have that as an option (i.e., to install MusicIP)? When I read SSOTS documentation or FAQ info, I've not run across anything on this topic/feature.

    I'm also worried that my TS119 no longer shows QPKG options for LMS (i.e., under the Applications menu). I'm not sure if upgrading my QTS might affect that or not (though that doesn't make sense to me, they used to be there, but not any longer). My QTS is 4.1.1.

    I'm happy to upgrade software or hardware, if I can be sure it'll accomplish what I'm looking to do (stick with my Transporter while it's still working, continue running LMS on a NAS, and install MusicIP). This thread however suggests that upgrading my NAS or QTS may prevent me from being able to use MusicIP. And, I'm trying to avoid a set-up where I need my NAS to access a PC to play and generate playlists.

    Again, thanks for the info. I'll do some more research and perhaps come back with more focused questions.
    Just for clarification. QNAP withdrew the LMS QPKG because of the Bash issue which was identified in SSOTS. Personally I don't think it is a real issue if you only use it internally but getting anything more than LMS 7.6 to run on an old QNAP became a PIA.
    As to MusicIP I experimented with it once but after I had moved to an up to date LMS on another platform (but always with files on the QNAP) the auto generated playlist feature was first handled by Michael's SmartMix (until EchoNest pulled the plug) and latterly with the combination of Don't Stop The Music (DSTM) builtin to 7.9 and his LastMix plugin. These have always been sufficient for my needs without the need for the overhead created by MusicIP.
    I mention this as if you are on 7.6 you may never have seen SmartMix or DSTM/LastMix.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    23

    MusicIP on QNAP TS119

    I'm intrigued with the SmartMix or DSTM/LastMix plug-ins. You're correct that I've not seen them, so I'll see what I can find out about them. On LMS, I'm thinking that I could upgrade LMS using SSOTS, and not bother with QPKG's. So, that could be an option. Or, alternatively, I could get a raspberry pi, and install a newer version of LMS on that, keeping my music files on my QNAP. I need to study up on the raspberry pi, but the little I've read, it seems like a good option, and avoids the Bash/QPKG issues. thanks for the suggestion.
    Last edited by rlc999; 2018-01-23 at 09:49.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    3,019
    Quote Originally Posted by rlc999 View Post
    I'm intrigued with the SmartMix or DSTM/LastMix plug-ins. You're correct that I've not seen them, so I'll see what I can find out about them. On LMS, I'm thinking that I could upgrade LMS using SSOTS, and not bother with QPKG's. So, that could be an option. Or, alternatively, I could get a raspberry pi, and install a newer version of LMS on that, keeping my music files on my QNAP. I need to study up on the raspberry pi, but the little I've read, it seems like a good option, and avoids the Bash/QPKG issues. thanks for the suggestion.
    Smartmix no longer exists.
    DSTM is now part of 7.9.x and LastMix is a plugin that works with it although you don't need it but I prefer it.
    DSTM is set per Player - see screenshot below - in this example my Player will continously add tracks in blocks of 5 to my playlist based on the stuff that was playing before. The logic comes from LastFM but the tracks come from a combination of local and in my case Spotify tracks. Deezer, Tidal etc would be available if I had subscriptions.
    As well as LastMix it will automatically add a Favourite on to the end of your Playlist if that was your choice.

    Name:  2018-01-23 17_20_40-Server Settings.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  25.6 KB
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    245
    DSTM works mainly on Genres or possibly Spotify mix, whereas MusicIP works off a true analysis of the music, and therefore regardless of the Genre Tag will create a mix of truly similar music - and is a fabulous way of meandering through your music collection. If you throw Sugarcube on top, then the result is (imho) far superior to DSTM.

    Now to your technical issues.. you have a TS119, and if I am right, that is an ARM CPU, and MusicIP only has binaries for Intel I believe? So you probably are going to have to go the Pi route anyway for now (and maybe that is the reason why SSOTS does not display it as an option).

    You can upgrade SSOTS by downloading the qpkg for 4.14 from here..http://www.qnapclub.be/QPKG/SSOTS/SS...14_arm-x19.zip and doing a manual install from the apps screen.
    You can also upgrade to LMS 7.9 using SSOTS and notes on the QNAP forum - you have to rename the downloaded file from Logitechmediserver to squeezeboxserver because ssots is hardcoded to look for a file named squeezeboxserver.

    But I am fairly certain you cannot run MusicIP on an ARM processor, and therefore the pi is your best route.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •