Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

What's causing the screens on my players to flash?

I've got several players running pcp, and my lms also runs on pcp. All works beautifully. However, I also have 3 hardware players - a boom, a transporter and a SB3 classic. So, the odd thing. Every couple of minutes, on all of the players, I get some text flash on the screens at full brightness. It's only on the screen for a fraction of a second so I can't read it. It might be the click to continue setup... Not sure though.

Any ideas?

Pete s

Quote Originally Posted by psketch View Post
    I've got several players running pcp, and my lms also runs on pcp. All works beautifully. However, I also have 3 hardware players - a boom, a transporter and a SB3 classic. So, the odd thing. Every couple of minutes, on all of the players, I get some text flash on the screens at full brightness. It's only on the screen for a fraction of a second so I can't read it. It might be the click to continue setup... Not sure though.
    Are you by any chance running multiple servers and, if so, did you just clone a single server to multiple computers?

I ran into a situation like yours several years back when I did that. Turns out each server has a unique ID and if you just clone the entire installation everything works but you get the flashing message. The solution is to stop the server, edit the configuration file to remove the UUID, then restart the server which will then generate a new ID.

Maybe unreliable network? I see something like that when the network link breaks for a short time on one of my SBs.

Quote Originally Posted by atrocity View Post
    Are you by any chance running multiple servers and, if so, did you just clone a single server to multiple computers?

I ran into a situation like yours several years back when I did that. Turns out each server has a unique ID and if you just clone the entire installation everything works but you get the flashing message. The solution is to stop the server, edit the configuration file to remove the UUID, then restart the server which will then generate a new ID.
    I think this is what was causing the problem for me.
    I moved LMS from an old RPi2 to RPi3 and copied config files from RPi2.
    A day or so later I spotted an SB2 flashing briefly with connection error once a minute.
    Later I saw this comment and when through the steps above ... and have not seen it flash since.
    Could be coincidence but I'm happy.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

I think mine was actually caused by a USB problem... Whilst looking for another problem, I noticed that dmesg showed that one of my USB devices was attempting to connect over and over again, then getting to a maximum (maybe 256) connections, then restarting. Looks like this restarting was causing the network to drop momentarily. Having fixed the USB problem, I've now got no more display flashing ... Odd....