Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Replacement linear power supply options

I need a new Touch A/C adapter to "fix" my remote control sensing issue, as noted in another thread. Rather than buying another OEM adapter, I'd prefer to get a medical grade linear power supply (vs. one of the $250+ audiophile grade ones). I found this Inventus (formerly Elpac) linear supply which I believe has the proper barrel plug... https://www.mouser.com/productdetail...Nm0V6T%2FZI%3D

However, it puts out 4A at 5V, vs. the OEM Logitech 3A at 5V. My vague electrical knowledge says this would be OK, as the Touch will only "pull" the current it needs. However, I want to confirm that this linear power supply won't "brick" my Touch when I plug it in.

If this particular linear supply won't work, please recommend another Inventus/Elpac model.
    Main system: Touch > Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB > Conrad-Johnson CT-5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > ML Expressions. Audience AU24e cables. Secondary systems elsewhere in home: 1- Boom, 2- SB3's, and 2- SB Radio's. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society

Pioneer Elite N50 main HT rig hardwired to router connected

1st Touch Wirelessly connected (Master Bedroom)

2nd Touch Wirelessly connected (bedroom)

3rd Touch Wirelessly connected (bedroom)

4th Touch Wirelessly connected (livingroom)

5th Touch Wirelessly connected (downstairs bedroom)

Server (In garage)
    running on Duo Core P4 3.0 GHz 8 gig ram
    Windows 7 pro 64 bit
    350 Xternal gigHD
    1.5 TB backup
    Verizon Fios wireless router w/HG antana

No it wont hurt the Touch .

In fact i ran one of mine with a 2A supply for a long time but i assumed that if i did not use the USB or analog it did not matter much
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    No it wont hurt the Touch .

In fact i ran one of mine with a 2A supply for a long time but i assumed that if i did not use the USB or analog it did not matter much
    Yeah there should be plenty of latitude in PSU capacity for a device like this.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    ...I'd prefer to get a medical grade linear power supply (vs. one of the $250+ audiophile grade ones). I found this Inventus (formerly Elpac) linear supply which I believe has the proper barrel plug...
    Actually, upon further review, looks like this one is a switching power supply, but minimal ripple, so I'll try it. Still far more inexpensive than the Teradek, Teddy Pardo, etc.
    Main system: Touch > Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB > Conrad-Johnson CT-5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > ML Expressions. Audience AU24e cables. Secondary systems elsewhere in home: 1- Boom, 2- SB3's, and 2- SB Radio's. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society

EBAY: 3 or 4 different ones

Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    I need a new Touch A/C adapter to "fix" my remote control sensing issue, as noted in another thread. Rather than buying another OEM adapter, I'd prefer to get a medical grade linear power supply (vs. one of the $250+ audiophile grade ones). I found this Inventus (formerly Elpac) linear supply which I believe has the proper barrel plug... https://www.mouser.com/productdetail...Nm0V6T%2FZI%3D

However, it puts out 4A at 5V, vs. the OEM Logitech 3A at 5V. My vague electrical knowledge says this would be OK, as the Touch will only "pull" the current it needs. However, I want to confirm that this linear power supply won't "brick" my Touch when I plug it in.

If this particular linear supply won't work, please recommend another Inventus/Elpac model.
    I just bought one on EBAY for $75 shipped from Hong Kong to the USA, - ($55 for the unit). Zerozone also makes one for $65. I own a Teradak 9v for my microRendu for $119.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zerozone-DC...IAAOSwQjNW-5fi

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zerozone-DC...IAAOSwQjNW-5fi

Thanks for the other power supply links.

Turns out, as noted elsewhere, if not using the USB input, 2.5 A is sufficient to fully power the Touch and I.R. sensor. I tried my old Elpac WM075-1950 linear power supply (5W 2.5A, used elsewhere with an SB3) works perfectly. Fidelity is great, and my remote now works again!

I am so sick of the power supply issues that I just bit the bullet and got the Teradak. :-D

I doubt it'll "remove a veil" to "reveal an additional layer of insight and transparency", it's just that I have had it with the damn Logitech power supplies eventually behaving like a cheap microwave. :-D

...p
    ...pablo
    Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 14 Pro) running Ubuntu 16.04 + LMS 7.9
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> Totem Element Fire
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado PS500e/Shure 1540

Quote Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
    I am so sick of the power supply issues that I just bit the bullet and got the Teradak. :-D

I doubt it'll "remove a veil" to "reveal an additional layer of insight and transparency", it's just that I have had it with the damn Logitech power supplies eventually behaving like a cheap microwave. :-D

...p
    Do they make these for SB3's?
    Living Room: Pi3 w/Allo Digione Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 7.9 and SqueezeLite
    Pioneer Elite VSX 80, KEF LS50's, Paradigm SE Center, SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer, Paradigm Atom v.5 Surrounds
    Harmony Smart Control w/Hub
    Dining Room: KEF Q100's
    Anywhere Else As Needed: Logitech Boom
    Router: Asus RT-N56U

Touch and SB3 has the same dc barrel connector and both use 5v supply .

So if it works for Touch it works for SB3.

SB3 draws slighly less power
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html