Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_B View Post
    Appears to have been approved and released by Microsoft. Picked up the latest version with volume control in the last hour. Many thanks for the addition of volume control and continued support of Squeezelite-X
    My pleasure. Thanks for the input.

R Greg Dawson
    Squeezelite-X

Using SLX to connect to remote LMS

I'm working on some under-the-covers networking code...

Squeezelite-X currently will not connect to a remote LMS server. For example if you try to connect from your office to an LMS on your home network via port forwarding, it will not find the server. Now, I am not suggesting it is a good idea to open your LMS to the internet via port forwarding. (Read the sticky in the General area for all the reasons you should not do this.) I have never tried this until yesterday just to see if SLX would work. It didn't. I had some code in there whose purpose was the distinguish between a server that was there, but LMS was not running, or was running on a different port, versus a server that was completely turned off or didn't exist. Anyway it doesn't work in this scenario. That got me looking into the some of the networking code and methodically testing all sorts of different things and failure scenarios. Such as, password required, username/password incorrect, http port is wrong, telenet port is wrong, service can't be found, server can be found, but LMS is not running, LMS is being restarted/reinstalled/upgraded, etc, etc. So I have made a few under-the-covers improvements that will improve how SLX responds when it runs into these sorts of issues. So in the next version,

1. Connecting across the internet will work.
    2. A specific "can't connect" scenario was taking to long to respond and freezing the GUI for 10-20 seconds. (Specifically, the case where you provide a username/password, but the one or both of the port ids are incorrect.) This will be fixed.

For the vast majority of you (I hope), you have not seen these scenarios. But they will be fixed in the next version.

As for opening LMS to the internet via port forwarding, it is generally not a good idea. Even with password turned on, it is not a good idea. Passwords are passed in the clear over http and LMS has no defense against brute force attacks. So for my test, I turned on "Block Incoming Connections" and then allowed only the IP address I was testing from. And I used a unique password not used anywhere else. And I am still not sure how secure that is. But I have SLX able to work in this scenario. (WOL will never work in this scenario, by the way.)

As for new features, I am always entertaining new ideas, or even old ones that I forgot about.

R Greg Dawson
    Squeezelite-X

Squeezelite-X currently will not connect to a remote LMS server.
    Hi Greg,

For completeness you should probably say that SL-X WILL work over VPN though.

Jeff
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLite-X,PiCorePlayer x3
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 7.5 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U2 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLite-X
    Music: 522GB,1660 albums with 23087 songs by 5204 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    Hi Greg,

For completeness you should probably say that SL-X WILL work over VPN though.

Jeff
    True that.

R Greg Dawson
    Squeezelite-X

When I change from ethernet to wifi or vice-versa I get a socket error 10054 (continuesly pop - ups are filling the screen) . Shutting down the app and restarting usually solves this but what is casing this?
    Btw latest version from W10 store. Did a reinstall hoping this would solve this behavior but it does not.
    SqueezeBoxes: 2x SB2 (Living room and study), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Bedroom)
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, D-Link Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

Quote Originally Posted by edwin2006 View Post
    When I change from ethernet to wifi or vice-versa I get a socket error 10054 (continuesly pop - ups are filling the screen) . Shutting down the app and restarting usually solves this but what is casing this?
    Btw latest version from W10 store. Did a reinstall hoping this would solve this behavior but it does not.
    Thank you for sharing this with me. Has this always been an issue or did it begin recently? I was able reproduce this issue on another machine and I consider it a bug. I don't know if it has always been there or if I introduced it recently. I need to dig into it. (My dev machine does not have wifi, and for my machine that does, I had never tried switching back and forth.)

I need to do some digging on handling this exception properly.

R Greg Dawson
    Last edited by rgdawson; 2018-08-12 at 10:40.
    Squeezelite-X

Hi Greg. It's a fresh installed W10 pro 64b laptop. And I noticed the behavior when I pulled the ethernet cable and switched to wifi.
    SqueezeBoxes: 2x SB2 (Living room and study), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Bedroom)
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, D-Link Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

Quote Originally Posted by rgdawson View Post
    Thank you for sharing this with me. Has this always been an issue or did it begin recently? I was able reproduce this issue on another machine and I consider it a bug. I don't know if it has always been there or if I introduced it recently. I need to dig into it. (My dev machine does not have wifi, and for my machine that does, I had never tried switching back and forth.)

I need to do some digging on handling this exception properly.

R Greg Dawson
    I believe that this has always been the case, I do not believe its the switch from WiFi to Eth or vice versa.
    I think this is an issue that inbetween the switch the network goes "Down"
    I have seen this when changing the MTU or IP address etc on a wired only PC
    I simply close SL-X and restart it and this has worked every time for me.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff07971; 2018-08-12 at 15:02. Reason: Changed DNS to MTU
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLite-X,PiCorePlayer x3
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 7.5 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U2 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLite-X
    Music: 522GB,1660 albums with 23087 songs by 5204 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    I believe that this has always been the case, I do not believe its the switch from WiFi to Eth or vice versa.
    I think this is an issue that inbetween the switch the network goes "Down"
    I have seen this when changing the MTU or IP address etc on a wired only PC
    I simply close SL-X and restart it and this has worked every time for me.

Jeff
    I think I can isolate where this happens and make SLX detect and recover. Standby and we shall see.

R Greg Dawson
    Squeezelite-X

Quote Originally Posted by rgdawson View Post
    I think I can isolate where this happens and make SLX detect and recover. Standby and we shall see.

R Greg Dawson
    Status: I have figured out how to detect this and recover. I should have a fix out this week.

R Greg Dawson
    Squeezelite-X