Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 156 of 159 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,560 of 1583
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestrad View Post
    Amen. (I'm just discovering this baby and I'm in love. And I'd never have installed it if I'd needed to do it via a Store.)
    Haha, glad you like it. I will continue to make the legacy installer available as long as I can, as some people prefer to install that way. That said, there is no difference except that the Store version is packaged for the Store, is signed, verified, and virus checked by the Store. And the Store version, being a Store app, runs somewhat isolated and can't access any critical or sensitive system resources (guaranteed), so from that perspective it is generally safer for the consumer. I have a Surface Go that runs Win10 in S-Mode, only can install Store Apps, and it is very reliable that way. Though I could never run a regular Win10 machine that way. Just curious, what do you find bad about the Windows Store?

R Greg Dawson
    Squeezelite-X

Quote Originally Posted by mr-b View Post
    Hi

A couple of requests:

- Would it be possible to use the mouse wheel to change the vol on the app? The Material skin is great with the extra granular vol control, but I find the mouse/trackball wheel a very handy vol control on other apps.

- Have you ever considered Jivelite-style VU meters (or other 'Now Playing' style graphics)? That'd be really cool.
    OK I found myself a VU meter - that looks a bit like the jivelite one and can be mapped to individual sound devices.
    https://github.com/jfchapman/VUPlayer/releases/tag/v4.9

But I'd still really like wheel vol control for the app i.e. not the entire system. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by rgdawson View Post
    Haha, glad you like it. I will continue to make the legacy installer available as long as I can, as some people prefer to install that way. That said, there is no difference except that the Store version is packaged for the Store, is signed, verified, and virus checked by the Store. And the Store version, being a Store app, runs somewhat isolated and can't access any critical or sensitive system resources (guaranteed), so from that perspective it is generally safer for the consumer. I have a Surface Go that runs Win10 in S-Mode, only can install Store Apps, and it is very reliable that way. Though I could never run a regular Win10 machine that way. Just curious, what do you find bad about the Windows Store?

R Greg Dawson
    What don't I like about Windows Store? Well, being an old-timer and a non-smartphone user, I don't know much about Stores. I'm used to downloading an installer and running it. Don't those Stores usually require you to give a lot of information about yourself? I tend to see that as Big Brother. But as I say, I'm an old guy from back in the days when there was such a thing as privacy ;-) Also I'm on Windows 7 64 and I understood that was the only way to get a W7 version.

Since I have your ear I'll mention that I've started having problems with the stream to my Squeezebox stopping and restarting. Most recently it was doing it after about 30 seconds of play (I keep getting a "rebuffering" message). It doesn't seem to be related to network load. For the moment I've uninstalled. If I knew how to get at the squeezelite settings that would normally go in the command line, I'd play around with the buffering and other settings. Or is there a way to give high priority to the Squeezelite-X thread or something?

TIA
    Les
    Last edited by Lestrad; 2020-07-18 at 00:51.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    Logitech Media Server Version: Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2 - ARCH-AUR-REL.7.9.2.arch2 running on Wandboard Quad, music library on SATA HDD
    Squeezebox Touch plugged into run-of-the-mill stereo rig via Musical Fidelity X-Act, extra speakers in kitchen, basement, and bedroom connected by ordinary (not unidirectional) copper cable.

Don't those Stores usually require you to give a lot of information about yourself? I tend to see that as Big Brother. But as I say, I'm an old guy from back in the days when there was such a thing as privacy ;-)
    Don't you think that whatever info MS want they could just get from your Windows right now ("telemetry")? You need an account to install stuff from the store, yes. But after that, you can log off and never log in again.

Also I'm on Windows 7 64
    There's no security patches for Windows 7 since January. That's bad. (Actually, there seem to be updates if you have a volume license. But you should just upgrade.)

Or is there a way to give high priority to the Squeezelite-X thread or something?
    With Process Explorer (the normal task manager should be able to do that, too) you can right-click on the process and set the priority and the affinity. But that should not be necessary, even if your PC is an older make like mine is (2009, replaced PSU, CPU fan, and graphics adapter this year).
    Last edited by dolodobendan; 2020-07-18 at 07:48.
    QLMS 8.0.0@2.21 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.30.1 / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

@Lestrad

Is case you don't know : you still should be able to upgrade to W10 for free with MediaCreationtool.. I think anyway as I've done friends old W8 laptop few weeks ago. Also AntiSpy beacon kills some of telemetry and you don't need MS account to run W10..

ps tbh I've never use MS store before .. Squeezelite-X was very first app
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 3x Squeezebox Radio, SqueezeCommander, Material Skin Apk, Squeezelite-X, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 with Material Skin

Quote Originally Posted by dolodobendan View Post
    Don't you think that whatever info MS want they could just get from your Windows right now ("telemetry")? You need an account to install stuff from the store, yes. But after that, you can log off and never log in again.

There's no security patches for Windows 7 since January. That's bad. (Actually, there seem to be updates if you have a volume license. But you should just upgrade.)

With Process Explorer (the normal task manager should be able to do that, too) you can right-click on the process and set the priority and the affinity. But that should not be necessary, even if your PC is an older make like mine is (2009, replaced PSU, CPU fan, and graphics adapter this year).
    Fellers, we're not on the same page. There is no way I'd ever install Windows 10, and I take every possible step to foil telemetry. I take my own precautions - and my chances, sure - against the threats that are out there, and not signing up for accounts with monopolies who may claim to protect me but in fact are out for my money and my freedom is one of the measures I take. By the way, I do use Windows Defender, but recently it's become impossible to update its database. Just overwork on the part of Micro$oft, I'm sure. I might add that the whole spirit of the LMS community since the Squeezebox was abandoned is an open-source spirit - as indeed the whole spirit of IT itself was is you go far enough back. And by the way, you gentlemen trying your best to help me here is yet another example of that spirit.

Thanks for the suggestion about Process Explorer. I'll give that a try, while hoping that Mr. Dawson will see this and make some suggestions of his own.
    Last edited by Lestrad; 2020-07-20 at 01:26.
    Logitech Media Server Version: Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2 - ARCH-AUR-REL.7.9.2.arch2 running on Wandboard Quad, music library on SATA HDD
    Squeezebox Touch plugged into run-of-the-mill stereo rig via Musical Fidelity X-Act, extra speakers in kitchen, basement, and bedroom connected by ordinary (not unidirectional) copper cable.

What don't I like about Windows Store? Well, being an old-timer and a non-smartphone user, I don't know much about Stores. I'm used to downloading an installer and running it. Don't those Stores usually require you to give a lot of information about yourself? I tend to see that as Big Brother. But as I say, I'm an old guy from back in the days when there was such a thing as privacy ;-) Also I'm on Windows 7 64 and I understood that was the only way to get a W7 version.

Since I have your ear I'll mention that I've started having problems with the stream to my Squeezebox stopping and restarting. Most recently it was doing it after about 30 seconds of play (I keep getting a "rebuffering" message). It doesn't seem to be related to network load. For the moment I've uninstalled. If I knew how to get at the squeezelite settings that would normally go in the command line, I'd play around with the buffering and other settings. Or is there a way to give high priority to the Squeezelite-X thread or something?

TIA
    Les
    I don't know about the rebuffering message. What is showing you that?
    You can get at the squeezelite command line switches by pressing the "..." button next to the player name.

Name:  SLX Player Switches.PNG
Views: 112
Size:  16.1 KB

R Greg Dawson
    Squeezelite-X

Fellers, we're not on the same page. There is no way I'd ever install Windows 10, and I take every possible step to foil telemetry. I take my own precautions - and my chances, sure - against the threats that are out there, and not signing up for accounts with monopolies who may claim to protect me but in fact are out for my money and my freedom is one of the measures I take. By the way, I do use Windows Defender, but recently it's become impossible to update its database. Just overwork on the part of Micro$oft, I'm sure. I might add that the whole spirit of the LMS community since the Squeezebox was abandoned is an open-source spirit - as indeed the whole spirit of IT itself was is you go far enough back. And by the way, you gentlemen trying your best to help me here is yet another example of that spirit.

Thanks for the suggestion about Process Explorer. I'll give that a try, while hoping that Mr. Dawson will see this and make some suggestions of his own.
    You can stop the telemetry the same way you stopped it (or claimed to) in Windows 7. Also, you don't need an account to install Windows 10.

But I'm not on a mission to convince you, so knock yourself out.
    QLMS 8.0.0@2.21 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.30.1 / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

Quote Originally Posted by dolodobendan View Post
    You can stop the telemetry the same way you stopped it (or claimed to) in Windows 7. Also, you don't need an account to install Windows 10.

But I'm not on a mission to convince you, so knock yourself out.
    Let's keep the record straight: I never "claimed" to stop anything. What I said was that I take every possible step. If you want to know the truth, I feel more or less helpless against the Big Boys. After all, they spend all their time (or pay people to spend all their time) figuring out ways to squeeze another nickel out of you and me. And then another, etc. etc. ad infinitum. But I have a disadvantage against them: I feel there's more to life than that. I feel that I need to relax and enjoy life some of the time... for example by, uh, listening to music ;-]
    Last edited by Lestrad; 2020-07-20 at 12:06.

Quote Originally Posted by rgdawson View Post
    I don't know about the rebuffering message. What is showing you that?
    You can get at the squeezelite command line switches by pressing the "..." button next to the player name.

Name:  SLX Player Switches.PNG
Views: 112
Size:  16.1 KB

R Greg Dawson
    Thanks for answering. I'm seeing that "Rebuffering" message on the screen of my Squeezebox Touch.

And thanks for the tip on how to get to the Squeezelite settings. As I mentioned, I've uninstalled for the time being while getting my new Windows 7 installation as clean as possible (and also trying to work out a recurring problem with my little server, which LMS is installed on). I'll get back to you in a day or two after I've done some trials and played around with the settings.

I have to say, though, that it was working great. Having no lag between my PC and the rest of the house was like being in a dream, and I love the fact that LMS doesn't need to be open in a browser.

PS I should mention that my crusade against Microsoft implies no criticism of your choices as to how to distribute your application. The fact that it's free, as competent and polished as it is, and that you're here personally helping users with it are proof to me that you're very much in the free-and-open-source spirit. Thanks!