Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

picoreplayer - monetary loss of connection to the server

Hi,
    I am using a RPi LMS Server with picoreplayer 3.22. I have been running it for a while, and have noticed an audio drop out when playing back music. Less than 1/4 sec. And my Classics momentarily loose the Time display to show “can’t connect to server” message, quite frequently, for a short blip.

Anyone have any initial pointers?

Aside
    My network is Asus Router (87 model), dual band wireless, with 2 Classics, 2 Touch, a Radio, and a Boom. These devices are a mixture of Ethernet and wireless.

Apologies if this thread is in the wrong place.....

Is the rpi wired to the router LMS server should ideally be a wired machine it helps a lot .

Do you sync your players ?

Are all players looosing contact at the same time or is it just WiFi players ?

What kind of files are you playing ?

Rpi 3 or 2 or ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Is the rpi wired to the router LMS server should ideally be a wired machine it helps a lot .

Do you sync your players ?

Are all players looosing contact at the same time or is it just WiFi players ?

What kind of files are you playing ?

Rpi 3 or 2 or ?
    RPi 3.

The RPi is a wired Connection to a Netgear 1Gbs Switch, hardwired again to the Router about 5m away.

I sometimes sync, but never leave them connected for long....usually unsync when done.

I predominantly use MP3, Spotty. But I am sat here watching my Classic Text Clock Display, and is is dropping out even when no music is playing.

It all starts to look like some kind of networking issues ? Of the rpi3 just drops of the network ?

And its a bog standard unmanaged switch without any fancy stuff ? No powersave features or similar.

Your not running anything else onnthe pi you migtj check the cpu load ?
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

Maybe plugin the pi directly to the router as a test , so the switch is out of the way

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    It all starts to look like some kind of networking issues ? Of the rpi3 just drops of the network ?

And its a bog standard unmanaged switch without any fancy stuff ? No powersave features or similar.

Your not running anything else onnthe pi you migtj check the cpu load ?
    A Classic display is losing the Clock, and showing "Connection to the server is lost" message, every 1 minute. I will look to see if this disappears with the ethernet cable connected. That might point to it being a wifi issue - router thing.

The Switch the RPi is connected to is unmanaged, bog standard GS108 Netgear unit. No powersave features. I have not checked the RPi cpu - as it is only running the LMS. I guess I would need to hook up a monitor(?).

I was suspecting the RPi LMS setup, as that is the newest thing, but I think you are right, I shouldn't rule out a Network (Router FW) change.

Thanks for your help...

Ok if your trying tomconect the player wired dont forget to redo the network settings , they does not automagically become wired just because its conected , you have to choose ethernet .

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Hi,

open a dosbox [start cmd]

get the ip of your lms rpi

type ping "ip.of.your.rpi" -t hit return

do exactly the same again with the ip of your classic

Let these cmd windows open until the classic shows no connection.

Which one of these windows shows something strange?
    I Ethernet wired the SqBox Classic, and it is the same. I have reset my Router back to default, and reconfigured (rather than Restore Settings). No different, momentary loses on Text Clock with “lost connection to server” message is still apparent.

I tried CMD and Ping (thanks for -t switch). Both RPi Server and Classic mostly return 1mS. Occasional changes to 4mS, and an odd 18mS. None of these occurred around or seem to correlate with the dropout.

Quote Originally Posted by wl1 View Post
    I Ethernet wired the SqBox Classic, and it is the same. I have reset my Router back to default, and reconfigured (rather than Restore Settings). No different, momentary loses on Text Clock with “lost connection to server” message is still apparent.

I tried CMD and Ping (thanks for -t switch). Both RPi Server and Classic mostly return 1mS. Occasional changes to 4mS, and an odd 18mS. None of these occurred around or seem to correlate with the dropout.
    I regret to tell you that I have these momentary losses of connection on one of my SB3s (but only one).
    I posted yesterday about it - http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...lassic-failing
    I have done all the network troubleshooting and the consensus thus far is a faulty wifi card but I don't have the tools to open the thing up as yet to remove it and re-try.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

To insist on what Mnyb already asked: if *all* of your players have a problem reaching the server, have a look at the server.

In some cases SB3s or Booms can briefly display they can't connect the server when in fact they can connect the server, but the server is too busy to answer in due time.

I've seen this when for some reason LMS gets wonky and runs away with nearly 100% of the CPU, or when sox transcoding process(es) run besides LMS. Sox is very greedy for CPU time and can push LMS to the background.
    You can test this theory be rebooting the piCore machine entirely, then play some mp3 or AAC radio stream from a single, then multiple players and see if the problem persists.

If the problem is still there, I would temporarily delete the switch from the path, change the ethernet cable used for the Pi server and try again.
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.