Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

script control Boom without server

Hi,
    Does anyone know if there is a way to send commands to the Boom without having to install the server app?

I am using my Squeezebox Boom mainly just as an amplifier for Alexa. As it starts to get boring to always switch it on, switch to line in and switch it off when done, I was thinking if it would be possible to write a little alexa skill to do this automatically. But first I need to be able to control the boom somehow. As this works through /mysqueezebox.com there must also be a way to do it by myself.
    My first idea was to use myIP:9000/status.txt?p0=power_off, but it seems like therefor I have to have the server running, which is a little bit over-sized for these tasks. But as the control from the server to the box is possible, it must be possible without the server as well. Any hints?

The older device such as Boom are quite "dumb"

The underlying protocol is called Slimproto and is mostly documented in LMS - On WebGUI - click on Help - Technical Information - The Client Squeezebox protocol.

It is possible the Boom special functionality such as "line-in" etc may not be documented in which case you would need to revert to LMS source code.

I think it may be a lot of work compared to pressing a few buttons

Yes allost all functins are really in the server it even renders the display . Exception may be line in and such .
    But is that even selectable other than on the device itself ?

Btw mysb.com is really just an LMS in th sky with some extra stuff.
    So for old players thats quite involved for mysb.com
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

script control Boom without server

Having said that, slimproto is very simple and if you don't care much about the display, send the slimproto is control plane and there is not a lot to send to setup the playback and then send an URL of a webserver where to get the audio. The control plane is easy to implement to start, stop, pause, change volume as long as you don't care about synchro. The slimproto doc describe that well
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Thanks for your comments, I will have a look into that protocol. As I do not want to send complex stuff, as long as it is capable of switch-on, Line-In, maybe change volume and off, that would be sufficient for me.