Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member dolodobendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Posts
    202

    Only new playlists work, after a rescan they appear empty

    1. I have some old playlists. They now appear empty for some reason.
    2. I created a new playlist and this one worked.
    3. I did a rescan.
    4. Now this new playlist appears to be empty, too.


    What could be the reason? I had some permission trouble, but if LMS is able to create a new playlist, it should be able to read the old one, too, shouldn't it?
    QLMS 7.9.2@1.09b (digimaster) / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

  2. #2
    Senior Member dolodobendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Code:
     ls -l|grep playlist
    drwxrwxrwx   2 jan lms      4096 Jan  8 19:00 [playlist]
    jan is my username
    lms is the group for squeezeboxuser me and the backup user
    Code:
    ls -l|grep Playlists
    drwxrwx---   3 dolodobendan   everyone        4096 Jan  8 17:38 Playlists/
    Newly created playlists have rw-rw----, with squeezeboxserver as owner and group. And they work - Until I do a rescan.
    QLMS 7.9.2@1.09b (digimaster) / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

  3. #3
    Senior Member dolodobendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    What should that tell me?
    What should that tell you?

    drwxrwxrwx 2 jan lms 4096 Jan 8 19:00 [playlist]
    Right now, I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me. Is it "playlists get the wrong permissions when created via LMS"?
    QLMS 7.9.2@1.09b (digimaster) / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

  4. #4
    Senior Member dolodobendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Its quite simple.

    My setup works - your setup didnt work.
    I use these settings - youre using other settings.
    simple isnt it?
    Actually, it is not.

    1. On QNAP systems, you don't touch these octal permissions.
    2. Settings permission to 0777 is pretty much a crime.
    3. Settings permission to 0777 doesn't solve this problem.

    Not that simple then, is it.
    QLMS 7.9.2@1.09b (digimaster) / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

  5. #5
    Senior Member dolodobendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    *lol* you might ask me - why i didnt like qnaps
    As you might have noticed, I don't feel so confident in the linux world, so I'm ok with don't having to mess with it too much.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Yapp but my Server is save and its only the playlistfolder.
    I think my server is safe, but then again, no system is safe.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    I just changed to 775 and do a rescan, but i think the crime 777 wasnt my 1st choice.
    I report back after the scan is completed.
    Thank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Did you stop lms after changing the permissions?
    No, I'll give it a try now.

    Edit:

    Ok, I found out why the playlist are empty. It's not because because the playlist file couldn't be read. It's because the files listed in it couldn't be read. Which is fascinating, because I can add them to a new WORKING playlist (until I rescan the whole thing) while listening to them.

    I asked about this particular error here today: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...IsVal-id-(125) but I'm still waiting for an answer to the question mentioned in the headline.

    For some reason I thought this only affects player's playlists.

    The new question is, why can't the scanner scan the file in the playlist while it can scan it as a file? And I get the feeling it's the playlist's encoding.
    Last edited by dolodobendan; 2018-01-08 at 15:18. Reason: New revelations.
    QLMS 7.9.2@1.09b (digimaster) / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

  6. #6
    Senior Member dolodobendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    [OT]AFAIK my System is safe and i do some very nice tricks to make my Network safe as possible[/OT]
    I have to annoy people like you to make it as safe as possible.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    774 seems to work - just updated the wiki
    0770 should work, too. That's what I had for years.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    btw. make sure squeezeboxserver is in group everyone...
    cat /etc/group | grep squeezeboxserver
    It is somehow defined via ACL.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    or even better add a group for you and squeezeboxserver like mentioned in the wiki article and chown you and that group to you lms used files...
    I did that, but then schumaku (QNAP guru) at the QNAP forum said I shouldn't do that because that's not how it's done with QNAP. That's why I reset these octal permission to default and set permissions via QNAP's Advanced Folder Permissions. Having done that, folders created on the share in windows with default permission (0770) were found again by LMS.

    Now I have to find out why the same file can be scanned in a folder but not in a playlist. Well, tomorrow.

    Thank you so much for your patience!
    Last edited by dolodobendan; 2018-01-08 at 15:43.
    QLMS 7.9.2@1.09b (digimaster) / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

  7. #7
    Senior Member dolodobendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Your using ACLs!!!


    Und damit wird klar, warum das execute verloren geht und das eXecute braucht lms für die playlisten.
    (Windows ACL support ist aus.)

    Aber warum kann ich dann Playlists anlegen und auch abspielen? Die gehen ja nur bei einem Scan flöten. [Korrektur: Man kann sie anlegen, aber nicht abspielen. Allerdings bleibt die Frage:] Und warum ging das alles mal?

    (sagte ich bereits das ich qnap ganz super finde?)
    Ich meinte, so etwas herausgehört zu haben.
    Last edited by dolodobendan; 2018-01-08 at 16:39.
    QLMS 7.9.2@1.09b (digimaster) / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

  8. #8
    Senior Member dolodobendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    As i mentioned before - squeezebox needs the x to playlists.
    I got that now.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Please make sure the user squeezeboxserver of everyone.
    As I cannot assign users to group everyone in QNAP, I'll make a new group, put squeezeboxserver and myself in it and set this new group for all folders that LMS might access.


    ----- Edit ----->

    But: You were right. In QNAP, squeezeboxserver was not in "everyone", because it was "disabled". And before you say: "Why didn't you see that earlier?!" - I did. And I asked if this is somehow important. The answer was:

    Quote Originally Posted by karlek View Post
    Try the Help button to understand, what „disabled“ means, maybe?
    And so I did, but the only info I found there on something being disabled was

    Code:
    If the feature is disabled, the home folders will remain in the share “homes” and can only be accessed by “admin”.
    Since I cannot believe that LMS would run with a disabled user running the process on the one hand but removing the user from "everyone" when disabled on the other: I still have no clue what "disabled" means here.

    <----- Edit -----

    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    If thats already fact - and didnt work -> chown that Folder from you to squeezeboxserver
    While I guess that might work, newly created files will have me as owner and are invisible again.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Maybe the new created playlists are cached somewhere...?
    Ah, of course. The cached playlists (the player's "Now playing" lists) are not on the share, so the permissions are ok, while the same playlist saved in the playlist folder is not accessible because of the missing x.

    Erm, but I checked these cached playlists (/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/LogitechMediaServer/SlimServer/prefs). They have rw-r--r-- as permissions (squeezeboxserver as owner and group). And since it's outside of ACL jurisdiction (=not on the share)... I'm even more confused now. And just when I thought I understood the basics. Impressive. Ich geh dann mal in den Keller heulen.

    Edit 2:

    Yeah, enabling the user squeezeboxserver adds it to everyone. It works now (why a disabled user could access my music (and not the playlist...) - I don't want to think about this, right? It worked with the user disabled for years, btw., so I think this has to do with digimaster's installer and better handling of permissions). I kinda wish someone had said "enable that" a few days ago when I asked about that or at least have said "yeah, you guessed wrong, try again", then I wouldn't have had to entertain all of you guys that much. (There's a small chance that digimaster's latest installer or the latest LMS did this, because LMS updated automatically after I shut it down, so I did update the installer, too, because... new is always better?)

    To conclude:

    1. Thank you for your help.
    2. Thank you for your patience.
    3. I'm sorry that I've been a bit troublesome, but I do hope that others with even less knowledge about this can learn from my mistakes.
    4. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

    (Now I just hope it works with my regular library.)
    Last edited by dolodobendan; 2018-01-09 at 13:55.
    QLMS 7.9.2@1.09b (digimaster) / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •