Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

probelm with access point

I have a Jensen Wireless Router AL89300 connected as a access point to my Huawei Echolife hg8247 modem.
    My LMS on a rock64 is wired to the router and my players (one touch two radios and one rpi2) are wirelessly connected to the router. Now Iíve decided to enable wifi of the Huawei modem as well because this is closer to one of the radios. Iím using the same SSID on the modem and the router. The radio connects fine to the modem but it canít connect to the LMS which is connected through the router. Also if my android device is connected to the modem I canít access LMS through Squeeze ctrl.

Any suggestions on whatís wrong? Do I need to open some ports? If so on which device?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asplundj View Post
    I have a Jensen Wireless Router AL89300 connected as a access point to my Huawei Echolife hg8247 modem.
    My LMS on a rock64 is wired to the router and my players (one touch two radios and one rpi2) are wirelessly connected to the router. Now Iíve decided to enable wifi of the Huawei modem as well because this is closer to one of the radios. Iím using the same SSID on the modem and the router. The radio connects fine to the modem but it canít connect to the LMS which is connected through the router. Also if my android device is connected to the modem I canít access LMS through Squeeze ctrl.

Any suggestions on whatís wrong? Do I need to open some ports? If so on which device?

thanks
    Sounds like your access point is not an extension of your network but a separate network.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Seems likely the Huawei is presenting its WiFi clients only to the internet, not to local networks. Check the settings..

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

As already stated, seems like you have two separate networks.
    I believe the cable should be connected to one of the LAN ports of the AL89300 to avoid creating a separate network.
    A quick experiment to try at least.

Thank you all. The cable from the Huawei is connected to a LAN port on the AL89300. It seems that it's only the wifi on the Huawei that's separate from the others. Devices connected to the Huawei modem with a cable is on the same network as wired or wireless devices on the AL89300. Also when i connect something to the AL89300 they are assigned an IP address from the Huawei.

I should probably take this to a Huawei forum

Thank you all. The cable from the Huawei is connected to a LAN port on the AL89300. It seems that it's only the wifi on the Huawei that's separate from the others. Devices connected to the Huawei modem with a cable is on the same network as wired or wireless devices on the AL89300. Also when i connect something to the AL89300 they are assigned an IP address from the Huawei.

Strange. Is it some kind of guest Wi-Fi network?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Since you have two routers (both the Jensen and the Huawei), each with dhcp-servers and NAT between LAN and WAN, the configuration of these is not independent and not trivial, given the advanced functions on the especially the Huawei router.

In general it is best to configure the router which is *not* directly connected to internet as bridge appliance (ie, as an Access Point/Switch) and avoid using the WAN port on that device.

When you write "cable from Huawei is connected to LAN-port on the AL89300", do you mean an ethernet copper cable from a LAN-port on the Huawei to a LAN-port on the AL89300? That is the only thing that makes sense to me since the Huawei router has an optical fiber port as the WAN/internet access.

I looked at the manuals for the devices and the Jensen seems pretty straightforward, but the Huawei have some odd settings on the LAN-ports and the dhcp server. You can define the LAN-ports individually as L3 or L2 where L3 means bridging to the WAN side. (Setting them as L2 makes the LAN ports work as a standard switch which makes most sense in this case.) The dhcp-server settings include a L2-relay setting which, if enabled, means that any device connected to that LAN-port gets the dhcp-request for IP relayed to the WAN side, ie the ISP's dhcp server of public IP-addresses. (This typical for some fiber-to-the-home media converters with multiple ethernet LAN ports available.)

If you have the Huwei router connected to the internet (probably an incoming optical fiber) and use the dhcp-server on the Jensen AL89300, it is important that you disable the dhcp-server on the Huawei and ensure that all LAN-ports are L2. You also need to assign an IP-address to the LAN-port on the Huwaei which connects to the Jensen AL89300. Make sure that you have adapted the IP-range on the Jensen so that you have some IP-addresses to assign manually from.

If this doesn't make any sense to you, please present a clear description of your network, describing incoming internet, which ports on the respective routers are connected to what and the settings of LAN-ports (L2/L3), dhcp server settings.

There's a ethernet cable from the LAN port of the huawei to the LAN port of the Jensen router.

However, I've managed to fix it. Apparently there's to places in the Jensen interface where you set it up as a AP and I had only done it for the wireless connection. After I set it to AP mode at the other place as well it works as it should.

Thanks for all your help.