Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Integrate existing squeezeboxes as chromecast players

    Hi,

    I would like to get the opposite of squeeze2cast : a cast2squeeze, so I can reuse my squeezeboxes from my google home. Are there any people interested in this ? Do you think it's the same difficulty to do it as squeezecast ?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,755
    Quote Originally Posted by minscof View Post
    Hi,

    I would like to get the opposite of squeeze2cast : a cast2squeeze, so I can reuse my squeezeboxes from my google home. Are there any people interested in this ? Do you think it's the same difficulty to do it as squeezecast ?

    Thanks
    It cannot work in most cases, unfortunately, due to the way a CC device works
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

  3. #3
    Senior Member ModelCitizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sussex UK
    Posts
    3,142
    I've used Chromecast audio and TV devices for a while. The audio devices are run by both LMS an Google tech. I've now got a Google home and my family are becoming so comfortable with voice control that I've ordered a couple of minis. Google Home/Assistant poses the biggest threat to my Squeezebox stuff yet, and as it becomes more feature rich and easier to use it's possible that pressing buttons might start to seem a bit old hat. So I'm very interested in being able to control LMS via voice, but Philip affirms my belief that this is probably not possible. However, I mentioned Google Home here before and a guy replied stating that he was developing some voice functionality for Amazon's Alexa and gave the impression he might consider extending it to Google tech in future.... so I still have some small hope it might be possible.
    Last edited by ModelCitizen; 2018-01-02 at 10:12.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    Last.fm/user/ModelCitizen

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    15,720
    Quote Originally Posted by minscof View Post
    Hi,

    I would like to get the opposite of squeeze2cast : a cast2squeeze, so I can reuse my squeezeboxes from my google home. Are there any people interested in this ? Do you think it's the same difficulty to do it as squeezecast ?
    It''s been a while since I looked at Cast protocols but IIRC Cast player acts as single page browser running Javascript which are loaded by Google servers. Google server only trust recognised players to act as cast players (i.e.trust means content won't be copied/saved by player) . So to make cast 2 squeeze work would require an computing intermediary device which then has to be recognised by Google which is a complicated solution and solution is probably dearer than a Chromecast audio device.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,755

    Integrate existing squeezeboxes as chromecast players

    Quote Originally Posted by ModelCitizen View Post
    I've used Chromecast audio and TV devices for a while. The audio devices are run by both LMS an Google tech. I've now got a Google home and my family are becoming so comfortable with voice control that I've ordered a couple of minis. Google Home/Assistant poses the biggest threat to my Squeezebox stuff yet, and as it becomes more feature rich and easier to use it's possible that pressing buttons might start to seem a bit old hat. So I'm very interested in being able to control LMS via voice, but Philip affirms my belief that this is probably not possible. However, I mentioned Google Home here before and a guy replied stating that he was developing some voice functionality for Amazon's Alexa and gave the impression he might consider extending it to Google tech in future.... so I still have some small hope it might be possible.
    What you're asking here is different. It's likely possible to command LMS players using Google Home. I think the dev of the Alexa version said he will work on it

    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    It''s been a while since I looked at Cast protocols but IIRC Cast player acts as single page browser running Javascript which are loaded by Google servers. Google server only trust recognised players to act as cast players (i.e.trust means content won't be copied/saved by player) . So to make cast 2 squeeze work would require an computing intermediary device which then has to be recognised by Google which is a complicated solution and solution is probably dearer than a Chromecast audio device.
    Absolutely - you potentially could mimic a CC for the "default receiver' w/o that "fake" being approved by Google (in fact you need to re-implement the cast protocol, which is what I did in squeeze2cast, but need to do the other side) but that will still be limited to cases where the app running on Android/iOS wants to use the "default receiver". This is unlikey the case (I think) for Spotify and any app that wants DRM.

    So, at the end, many cases where it would not work and little motivation from me as I'm not a big Android user (only a few devices) and as you said @bpa, one must be the 1st user of what one does for free
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2018-01-03 at 00:27.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,193
    There is a project to control a squeeze ecosystem from Alexa, but that still won't route Cast audio to your squeezebox devices. Another solution is just buy Bluetooth enabled amplifiers for each end point...


    Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •