Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Change Previous (<<) and Next (>>) buttons to move back 10 sec, move forward 30 sec?

Previous and Next is useful for songs, but not so useful when listening to podcasts. I prefer the way PocketCasts words, where Previous moves back 10 seconds and Next moves forward 30 seconds. Is there a way to achieve this with my Squeezebox?

The players I'm using are two SB3 connected to stereo systems, SqueezePlay running on Win10, and SB Player (with Squeeze Ctrl remote control app) on my Android Phone.

Thanks!

This would be a great idea for a plugin, perhaps enabling skip intervals based on track genre (ie. Podcast / Audiobook / Spoken Word)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

This functionality is dependent on the podcast server as LMS streams podcasts - it doesn't download complete podcasts.

FF (>>) skip froward to a time and REW (<<) skip back to a specific time already works if the podcast server support jumping to an arbitrary point in the podcast.

On WebGUI - clicking on the timeline will also jump to a specific time.

I don't know about specific Apps but if the WebUI or Touch/Boom/SB Classic display shows a fixed time duration for the podcast - the podcast server usually supports skip forward/back also work.

edit:

As a test of a known server - the BBC podcast support skipping to a time.

I'm using the WebGUI timeline as a workaround, but it's very inaccurate, especially when I use it from a my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by boren View Post
    I'm using the WebGUI timeline as a workaround, but it's very inaccurate, especially when I use it from a my phone.
    Skipping will never be accurate as LMS has to guess a possible offset as audio is compressed but compression is not linear and there is no time index to MP3 podcast.

Hover on WebGUI timline before clikcing and you should see the estimated time offset.

It doesn't need to be 100% accurate. Whatever PocketCasts is doing with these same streams, is good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by boren View Post
    It doesn't need to be 100% accurate. Whatever PocketCasts is doing with these same streams, is good enough.
    It will never be 100% accurate and will not be improved by using fixed time jumps. The current interface with WebGUI - hovering over time line gives you LMS estimate to the second. On devices where you can press and hold ">>" again the interface will show you the minute and second where the skip will end. So I'm not sure what is not meeting your need.

How Apps implement press and hold ">>" or "<<" and clicks on timeline is up to the App and nothing to do with LMS.

Overriding ">>" and "<<" to fixed time jumps will mean user will lose the functionality skip forward and back in a playlist of podcasts. It will also be inconsistent with usualu LMS ">>" and "<<" operation and this would confuse users.