Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jeromeharris View Post
    Folks:

Thanks to your great info, I'm making progress ! So far, I have:

-- bought and installed new powerline network adapters (the new ones claim to have faster throughput rates than our old ones), including one that my audio PC system is wired to;

-- updated my audio PC's LMS to 7.9.1 (and installed the Windows Visual C++ runtime libraries, to fix a "can't start LMS 'cause vcruntime140.dll is missing" problem that cropped up);

-- updated the firmware in my bedroom SBT from 7.7.3 to 7.8.0;

-- installed the Spotty and EDO plug-ins (gotta copy the one hi-res album I own onto the hard drive, to test EDO; I also must set up TIDAL and Spotify accounts to try those out).

There is one problem (for now... ) that I haven't been able to solve: I can't get the bedroom SBT connected to the audio PC/LMS system, even though they should all be on the same network. The symptoms/observations are:

-- the bedroom SBT will play radio streams, but tells me that it can't connect to LMS whenever I try to switch to the PC/LMS system (its diagnostics tell me that Ethernet is connected, and that wireless is not. To verify that, I pulled out the SBT-network router Ethernet cable while listening to a Web radio stream--the sound stopped. When I re-connected that cable, the station's sound returned once the network connection was re-established);

-- when I brought the bedroom SBT to the living room and Ethernetted it to the audio PC system for updating its firmware, it showed that Spotty was installed on the PC; when I brought it back to the bedroom and re-connected it to the router, it no longer listed Spotty in "My Apps";

--when I open LMS on the audio PC, it shows the presence of the living room SBT in both the Web interface and in Settings. However, the only sign of the bedroom SBT is in the Web interface, where it is one of three players listed (along with the living room SBT, and mysqueezebox.com)--I assume that is a legacy of having had the bedroom SBT cabled to the system earlier for updating its firmware. When I try to select the bedroom SBT as the player, LMS asks if I want to switch that SBT from its mysqueezebox.com connection--I click "yes", but nothing effectively happens.

What am I missing, for getting my bedroom SBT "talking" to the rest of the system?

Best wishes for 2018 to toby10, krochat, garym, slartibartfast and mherger--and to everyone else on this great forum!
    Jerome
    Are all the Powerline Adaptors on the same network?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by krochat View Post
    To be clear, you're now running your bedroom SBT and LMS PC on the main network, not the second network?

In any case, can the LMS PC see the bedroom SBT?

1) On the bedroom SBT, go to Settings->Advanced->Squeezebox Information->Squeezebox Touch Information and write down the IP field. It should be something like 192.168.1.100.

2) Go to the LMS PC, open a command prompt, and enter "ping <IP>", where <IP> is the number you got from the SBT.

3) Tell us what happens.

4) While you have the LMS PC command prompt open, you might as well run "ipconfig /all" and post the results of that command too.

Kim
    My bedroom SBT's IP address (when it's Ethernet-cabled to the powerline adapter) is 100.38.105.154...below is the result of pinging that address from my audio PC:

Name:  Jerome Ping Result Jan 5 2018.JPG
Views: 121
Size:  49.1 KB

And below (in two windows) is the result of running ipconfig:

Name:  Jerome ipconfig Result pt 1 of 2 Jan 5 2018.JPG
Size:  97.5 KB

Name:  Jerome ipconfig Result pt 2 of 2 Jan 5 2018.JPG
Size:  94.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    What happens with the Bedroom Touch when (on the Touch screen) you select "my music" from the menu. Does it offer the option of connecting to your LMS Library?
    It tries to connect to the Audio PC (labeled "fitPC3), but the attempt fails--I get the "we couldn't connect to..." error message.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Are all the Powerline Adaptors on the same network?
    I am not sure that they are--I'd love suggestions for the best way to test that.

Jerome

My bedroom SBT's IP address (when it's Ethernet-cabled to the powerline adapter) is 100.38.105.154...below is the result of pinging that address from my audio PC:
    Your LMS PC is 192.168.1.100, so the SBT and PC are on two different subnetworks. I'm surprised that the LMS PC can ping the SBT, and wouldn't be at all surprised if the SBT can't see the PC, although I don't know much about the LMS network architecture.

If I were debugging this I'd work on finding out why the SBT doesn't have a 192.168.1.* IP address. Routers normally assign IP addresses - how many routers do you have and how are they connected to the two networks?

Regards,
    Kim
    ------
    Touch -> GW Labs upsampler -> TacT RCS 2.2X -> Convolver PC (Win10 + AcourateConvolver + RME HDSP-AES-32)-> (TacT S2150 -> Harbeth M40) + (TacT S2150 -> TacT W210)

I am not sure that they are--I'd love suggestions for the best way to test that.

Jerome
    You should be able to use the software utility that came with the Powerline adaptors to tell you if they are connected. Plug the PC running the utility into one of the adaptors and it will find others on the same network.
    If they are not connected you need to pair them similarly to this for TP Link adaptors.
    http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-319.html

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Your LMS PC is 192.168.1.100, so the SBT and PC are on two different subnetworks. I'm surprised that the LMS PC can ping the SBT, and wouldn't be at all surprised if the SBT can't see the PC, although I don't know much about the LMS network architecture.

If I were debugging this I'd work on finding out why the SBT doesn't have a 192.168.1.* IP address. Routers normally assign IP addresses - how many routers do you have and how are they connected to the two networks?

Regards,
    Kim
    Once I have a bit more time, I will post a more detailed answer about our (my wife and I ) routers. A brief summary:

-- WAN data connects (from our ISP's fiber-optic system box in our bedroom) to an Apple Airport Extreme (our two printers are cabled to it);
    -- to extend data service to the other end of our apartment, a powerline adapter in the same bedroom is cabled to the bedroom Airport Extreme;
    -- another powerline adapter lives in our dining area (near where my wife generally works)--that adapter is cabled to another Airport Extreme which serves as a WiFi extender. We had a tech set that up because WiFi service in that end of our place was intermittent--now it's quite solid;
    -- in the living room that adjoins our dining/work area lives my LMS PC, its music hard drive, a SBT,and an old router that I (possibly incorrectly ) configured as a switch to connect the SBT to the LMS PC. That router is now cabled to a third powerline adapter;
    -- returning to the bedroom, the other SBT--previously used only for Internet radio via WiFi connection to our WiFi network--is cabled to the bedroom Airport.

I've been hoping to have the three powerline adapters provide a wired connection between the bedroom SBT and the front-of-house LMS PC/hard drive/SBT system. Perhaps I should disconnect both cables from both SBTs, turn on the LMS PC's WiFi, and see if the bedroom SBT can find it wirelessly.

I wonder if my router-as-switch is somehow set up wrongly, thus preventing the bedroom SBT from "seeing" the LMS PC. If any of you are router-as-switch savvy, I'd love suggestions about what to check in its software and cabling configuration (although there might be enough info out there on the Web for me to figure it out eventually). I will do some probing in a few days.

Hmm...that was a bit more detailed than I intended for this moment! I did omit stuff about which device is plugged into LAN jacks versus WAN jacks--more later...

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    You should be able to use the software utility that came with the Powerline adaptors to tell you if they are connected. Plug the PC running the utility into one of the adaptors and it will find others on the same network.
    If they are not connected you need to pair them similarly to this for TP Link adaptors.
    http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-319.html
    I did that "pairing" when I replaced the old powerline adapters with the new ones--today I "re-paired" them. The software utility reports the following:

Name:  Powerline Adapter Connections.PNG
Views: 100
Size:  63.5 KB

Given that I paired the dining room adapter to the bedroom one, then the audio PC one to the living room one, I expected the utility to show a bedroom-dining room-audio line, instead of the "V" shown above--the V is what I got both when I first installed the adapters, and when I re-installed the dining room and audio boxes today; I don't know why.

Jerome

I wonder if my router-as-switch is somehow set up wrongly, thus preventing the bedroom SBT from "seeing" the LMS PC. If any of you are router-as-switch savvy, I'd love suggestions about what to check in its software and cabling configuration
    It will take me a while to absorb your entire configuration, but with regards to your "router-as-a-switch"

1) Make certain the "DHCP server" functionality is disabled.
    2) Make certain there's nothing plugged into the WAN port.

After making these changes and rebooting the router and audio PC, run "ipconfig /all". Hopefully the ipv4 address will now be on the same subnet as the SBT.

Better yet, blow $12 on a real switch: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Ether...SPY/ref=sr_1_3
    ------
    Touch -> GW Labs upsampler -> TacT RCS 2.2X -> Convolver PC (Win10 + AcourateConvolver + RME HDSP-AES-32)-> (TacT S2150 -> Harbeth M40) + (TacT S2150 -> TacT W210)

Perhaps I should disconnect both cables from both SBTs, turn on the LMS PC's WiFi, and see if the bedroom SBT can find it wirelessly.
    I've diagrammed out your system and I'm pretty confident that the router-as-a-switch still has the DHCP server enabled. It should be disabled.

If you switch both SBTs and the LMS PC to wifi connecting to the living room Airport Extreme's wifi, they should all be able to see one another.

Kim
    ------

Success!

I've diagrammed out your system and I'm pretty confident that the router-as-a-switch still has the DHCP server enabled. It should be disabled.

If you switch both SBTs and the LMS PC to wifi connecting to the living room Airport Extreme's wifi, they should all be able to see one another.

Kim
    Your suspicion was spot-on; it turned out that I had my router-as-switch configured incorrectly:

-- the DHCP server *was* enabled, so I disabled it;

-- in line with "Step 3" on this Web page's instructions for configuring routers to act as Ethernet switches (https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basi...-network-ports), I also changed its LAN IP from its default to a different address;

-- lastly, I moved the LMS PC-to-powerline adapter Ethernet cable from the router-as-switch's WAN jack to one of its LAN jacks.

My bedroom SBT found the LMS PC with no problem; both SBTs will now simultaneously play different recordings from the PC's hard drive and Web streams--fantastic!

I can now proceed to investigating Spotify (via Spotty) and TIDAL, etc. Thanks to all your info and suggestions--I really appreciate it. What an effective product the SBT/LMS system is; thanks to all you forum participants for keeping it alive and viable.

One unrelated question: my audio PC just prompted me, saying that an update of LMS is available. I haven't today looked at the LMS forum to see if there's a version after my installed 7.9.1; is there? If so, do you recommend that I install it? I don't want to have an unstable version, and I definitely don't want to downgrade...

Thanks again; best wishes for 2018,
    Jerome