Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

piCorePlayer IR support

Hi,
    I'm troubleshooting getting IR working in PiCorePlayer. (It was working but I just did an upgrade to the newest PiCorePlayer version out.

I installed LIRC using the web interface. I manually set it to use LIRC1. Reboot.

When I go to command line and run "irw" the program registers the remote key presses. So LIRC is working properly. But piCorePlayer is not reacting to the key presses.

I have a reasonable amount of lirc on Linux. So I did a search for a LIRCRC file that is required to pass on keystrokes to any running application.

I found
    /usr/local/share/lirc/files/lircrc-squeezebox (which is linked to /tmp/tcloop/lirc/usr/local/share/lirc/files/lircrc-squeezebox)
    A quick look at the file shows the entry
    prog = squeezelite-armv6hf

Well for those key presses to be passed to Squeezelite correctly I think it should actually read
    prog = squeezelite

Unfortunately this is a read only file that I can't edit it.

Anyone care to explain how I can edit this file in PiCorePlayer?

Or am I completely wrong to look this file?

This all seem wonky to me as the way things are setup by default I can't see lirc working for anyone?

Help?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Zounder1 View Post
    Hi,
    I'm troubleshooting getting IR working in PiCorePlayer. (It was working but I just did an upgrade to the newest PiCorePlayer version out.

I installed LIRC using the web interface. I manually set it to use LIRC1. Reboot.

When I go to command line and run "irw" the program registers the remote key presses. So LIRC is working properly. But piCorePlayer is not reacting to the key presses.

I have a reasonable amount of lirc on Linux. So I did a search for a LIRCRC file that is required to pass on keystrokes to any running application.

I found
    /usr/local/share/lirc/files/lircrc-squeezebox (which is linked to /tmp/tcloop/lirc/usr/local/share/lirc/files/lircrc-squeezebox)
    A quick look at the file shows the entry
    prog = squeezelite-armv6hf

Well for those key presses to be passed to Squeezelite correctly I think it should actually read
    prog = squeezelite

Unfortunately this is a read only file that I can't edit it.

Anyone care to explain how I can edit this file in PiCorePlayer?

Or am I completely wrong to look this file?

This all seem wonky to me as the way things are setup by default I can't see lirc working for anyone?

Help?!?
    What part of pcp are you trying to control with the IR remote? Through jivelite or squeezelite directly?

What IR remote are you using?

Have you read through the original lirc for pcp thread? If not, please do. It gives a good overview of all the pieces, however most of what is discussed predates the lirc integration into the base install.

/usr/local/share/lirc/files/lircrc-squeezebox is provided as an example it is not required when using a slimdevices remote to control squeezelite blind or jivelite.

We renamed the squeezelite binary recently and I never updated the example lirc files. It should be squeezelite as you noted.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    What part of pcp are you trying to control with the IR remote? Through jivelite or squeezelite directly?

What IR remote are you using?

Have you read through the original lirc for pcp thread? If not, please do. It gives a good overview of all the pieces, however most of what is discussed predates the lirc integration into the base install.

/usr/local/share/lirc/files/lircrc-squeezebox is provided as an example it is not required when using a slimdevices remote to control squeezelite blind or jivelite.

We renamed the squeezelite binary recently and I never updated the example lirc files. It should be squeezelite as you noted.
    (1) squeezelite only. I am keeping it simple and will add jivelite later
    (2) Harmony remote emulating a Squeezebox touch remote
    (3) I look briefly as this but LIRC appears to be working fine. I'll expand
    From the command line i am running "irw" on the PiCorePlayer. When I press various remote buttons I get the correct reponse.

Button --> IRW response
    pause --> 00000000768920df 00 KEY_C Slim_Devices_Squeezebox3
    play --> 00000000768910ef 00 KEY_P Slim_Devices_Squeezebox3
    stop --> 00000000768920df 00 KEY_C Slim_Devices_Squeezebox3
    fast forward --> 000000007689a05f 00 KEY_B Slim_Devices_Squeezebox3
    .... etc

So LIRC is reading the button key presses just fine. So that all looks good to me with the remote working properly with LIRC.

However, PiCorePlayer is not responding to any of these key presses. So that is when I started looking for "lircrc" files that send the received key press to the appropriate application.

So any ideas?
    I could create my own lircrc file and see if that fixes things.
    What directory should I drop my lircrc file into?
    I'm guessing /usr/local/etc/lirc

Thanks for your help!!!
    Last edited by Zounder1; 2017-12-18 at 08:21.

When using a slimdevices remote, squeezelite only needs an empty lirc.

For pcp 3.2x, If you've enabled lirc from the tweaks tab without jivelite installed you should already have a zero byte .lircrc file in tc's home directory.

tc@rpi2:~$ ls -l /home/tc/.lircrc
    -rw-r--r-- 1 tc staff 0 Jul 2 14:54 /home/tc/.lircrc

and pcp will have added the -i option to the squeezelite command line.

tc@rpi2:~$ ps -fe | grep squeezelite
    1858 root /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/squeezelite -n Entertainment -o hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry -a 80 4 1 -r 192000 -R -u E -v -C 15 -i

If you're missing the -i try adding it to Various input box at the bottom of the Squeezelite Settings tab and restart squeezelite.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    When using a slimdevices remote, squeezelite only needs an empty lirc.

For pcp 3.2x, If you've enabled lirc from the tweaks tab without jivelite installed you should already have a zero byte .lircrc file in tc's home directory.

tc@rpi2:~$ ls -l /home/tc/.lircrc
    -rw-r--r-- 1 tc staff 0 Jul 2 14:54 /home/tc/.lircrc

and pcp will have added the -i option to the squeezelite command line.

tc@rpi2:~$ ps -fe | grep squeezelite
    1858 root /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/squeezelite -n Entertainment -o hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry -a 80 4 1 -r 192000 -R -u E -v -C 15 -i

If you're missing the -i try adding it to Various input box at the bottom of the Squeezelite Settings tab and restart squeezelite.
    1) Yes there is an empty .lircrc file at /home/tc/.lircrc
    2) Outlook of ps
    /usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n LivingRoom -o hw:CARD=IQaudIODAC -a 80 4 1 -v
    So missing -i

I added this as you described, rebooted.
    Outlook of ps
    /usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n LivingRoom -o hw:CARD=IQaudIODAC -a 80 4 1 -v -i

It is still not reacting to remote bottom pushes.

Perhaps I screwed up something when I was installing piCorePlayer. I installed Jivelite first and then removed it. I have also installed LIRC and removed it a few times trying to get things working. So I will do a fresh reinstall and see what happens. I will report back with my results.

Thanks for your help.
    LMS Server: VortexBox Virtual Machine running on ESXi server
    2 SB Touch, 4 SB Radio, 2 PiCorePlayers with IQ Audio DAC+, 1 PiCorePlayer with usb ADL GT40 DAC

I just want to circle back on this. I finally had a chance to work on getting IR remote working with my picoreplayer install.

The following install order worked perfectly:
    Fresh install.
    Install and configure jivelite
    Install lirc
    Set lirc to use lirc1 (my old usb IR receiver uses lirc1)
    Everything works as expected. Yippie!

The following install order did not work for me
    Fresh install.
    Install lirc
    Set lirc to use lirc1
    I did not test IR/lirc. Silly me.
    Install and configure jivelite
    IR does not work.
    Uninstall and reinstall lirc
    IR still does not work.
    Remove jivelite
    Remove lirc
    Install lirc.
    IR still does not work

Anyhow, FWIW the install order of jivelite and lirc support seemed to matter. I'm just happy I found and install order that works for me.

Thanks again for the help offered!
    LMS Server: VortexBox Virtual Machine running on ESXi server
    2 SB Touch, 4 SB Radio, 2 PiCorePlayers with IQ Audio DAC+, 1 PiCorePlayer with usb ADL GT40 DAC

hi Zounder1,

Thanks for reporting your findings.

Something to consider, piCorePlayer is memory based so, each time you reboot everything gets freshly reinstalled. The order things get reloaded, while not random, is unlikely to be the same as the initial install.

My guess is we have forgotten to include a backup, restart of squeezelite or reboot at the right time.

regards
    Greg

Its that lirc and jivelite uses different config files than lirc and squeezelite .....so when we install LIRC, we need to know if Jivelite is there or not.

Perhaps we need to add a toggle in the LIRC configuration.

Thanks Paul... makes sense.