Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying A SB Radio

I own a Boom but have been looking at SB Radio's on eBay but I'm unsure as there is no support now and problems with power, screen etc., they are selling around the ú90+ mark, they are a few years old now and I could end up buying one that is just about to have problems, would you advise to go for one or is there something better out there?.

They're great. Problems are pretty rare (apart from the charging circuit). The only downside is mono sound and no Bluetooth, which is something most people want these days, but nothing in the squeezebox arsenal includes these anyway so go for it.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    They're great. Problems are pretty rare (apart from the charging circuit). The only downside is mono sound and no Bluetooth, which is something most people want these days, but nothing in the squeezebox arsenal includes these anyway so go for it.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    Cheers for the reply, keep looking on eBay but as I say they are going for about the ú90 mark and noticed that Sonos Play 1's are a similar price, never had any Sonos before but have heard good reports, will keep any eye on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by JayLaFunk View Post
    Cheers for the reply, keep looking on eBay but as I say they are going for about the ú90 mark and noticed that Sonos Play 1's are a similar price, never had any Sonos before but have heard good reports, will keep any eye on eBay.
    Sonos are good BUT you have to use an app to control it.
    Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
    AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Audio Pro C5

Audio Pro C5 has preset button, Airplay and Spotify Connect.

If you use LMS, install AirPlay bridge and use as a SB.
    SB Touch to Hegel H90, Boston Acoustics A26.
    SB 3 to Audio Pro T3.
    AirPlay Bridge to Audio Pro C5 and Hegel H90.
    SB BOOM
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng

Differences

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    Sonos are good BUT you have to use an app to control it.

Although Sonos is quite nice, in my opinion I do not think Sonos SQ approaches the quality of our SBs (Touch). IMO this is especially true for critical listening to classical music.
    Also, I believe the functionality of the SBs is more versatile.
    I could like Sonos a lot, but I’d love SBs more.
    Anyone else feel the same?

So disappointed that the SB line of products is not manufactured any longer. What a GREAT product.
    Last edited by Ikabob; 2017-12-14 at 08:56.
    Ikabob

Squeezebox Touch w/LMS V7.9; Benchmark DAC1 USB;Marantz Pre-amp; SAE Amplifier;ESS Heil Speakers(main listening speakers plus various additional speakers).
    Multiple players: SqueezeBooms,SqueezeRadios; SB3;
    Services:Rhapsody;Slacker;RadioTunes;Spotify (+Triode's Plugin);CalmRadio,Napster,
    Ipeng remote controller.

If all you want is a handy player (with medium audio quality) then you can even use a Google Home Mini with the chromecast bridge plugin.
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If all you want is a handy player (with medium audio quality) then you can even use a Google Home Mini with the chromecast bridge plugin.
    Thanks for all the replies.

Is all the info for this on the chromecast bridge plugin thread, I had a play with it about 6 months ago but couldn't get it to work with my chromecast audio, what can it do with the Google Home Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by JayLaFunk View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.

Is all the info for this on the chromecast bridge plugin thread, I had a play with it about 6 months ago but couldn't get it to work with my chromecast audio, what can it do with the Google Home Mini.
    The Home Mini just appears as another SB player on the LMS interface - you can play any of the LMS services. It doesn't interfere with the onboard Home features either. Sound quality isn't as good as the SB radio, but then you can get Home minis for approx. 30 USD/GBP/EUR .
    SB Player - Fire TV

The Home Mini just appears as another SB player on the LMS interface - you can play any of the LMS services. It doesn't interfere with the onboard Home features either. Sound quality isn't as good as the SB radio, but then you can get Home minis for approx. 30 USD/GBP/EUR .
    Cheers, Just ordered a Google Home Mini :-)