Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ripping Vinyl to FLAC/mp3 etc

In Music there was a short discussion of the gear that can be used to convert a Vinyl LP to digital formats and the do & dont's so rather than hijack that Forum I thought I'd repost the various pieces of hardware discussed with a few comments which people can then add to as required.

USB Turntable - only consider this if you haven't already got a turntable.

If you have a Turntable.
    Behringer UCA202 from a tape loop. This is a line level 2 way USB soundcard that operates at 16/44 or 16/48. Virtually all Laptop/PCs detect it as both a USB recording & USB speaker device. Powered over the USB connection.
    Behringer UFO202. This is similar to the UCA202 but can be used with a turntable that requires a pre-amp. Its input is switchable between Line & Phono level. Like the UCA202 it is powered via the USB connection. This means that it can't really be used as just a pre-amp for your Turntable as it won't have power unless connected to your Laptop/PC.
    Digital recorder e.g. Roland R-05. A handheld portable device that you would connect to the Tape Out of your amp via 2xPhono to 3.5mm jack. This is a line level only device as far as I can tell. The Roland is no longer made but there are similar products available e.g Tascam AR05.

Personally I use a Behringer UCA202 in one location and a Behringer VMX200USB in another. The VMX200USB (and its baby brother VMX100USB) is a DJ Mixer with two way USB connection - it has the adavantage of being separetely powered. Like the UCA & UFO it will do 16/44 and 16/48.

Software
    I use VinylStudio with some post FLAC processing in mp3tag
    Others use Audacity which is Free but IMHO much harder work.
    Last edited by d6jg; 2017-12-11 at 04:25.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    In Music there was a short discussion of the gear that can be used to convert a Vinyl LP to digital formats and the do & dont's so rather than hijack that Forum I thought I'd repost the various pieces of hardware discussed with a few comments which people can then add to as required.

USB Turntable - only consider this if you haven't already got a turntable.

If you have a Turntable.
    Behringer UCA202 from a tape loop. This is a line level 2 way USB soundcard that operates at 16/44 or 16/48. Virtually all Laptop/PCs detect it as both a USB recording & USB speaker device. Powered over the USB connection.
    Behringer UFO202. This is similar to the UCA202 but can be used with a turntable that requires a pre-amp. Its input is switchable between Line & Phono level. Like the UCA202 it is powered via the USB connection. This means that it can't really be used as just a pre-amp for your Turntable as it won't have power unless connected to your Laptop/PC.
    Digital recorder e.g. Roland R-05. A handheld portable device that you would connect to the Tape Out of your amp via 2xPhono to 3.5mm jack. This is a line level only device as far as I can tell. The Roland is no longer made but there are similar products available e.g Tascam AR05.

Personally I use a Behringer UCA202 in one location and a Behringer VMX200USB in another. The VMX200USB (and its baby brother VMX100USB) is a DJ Mixer with two way USB connection - it has the adavantage of being separetely powered. Like the UCA & UFO it will do 16/44 and 16/48.

Software
    I use VinylStudio with some post FLAC processing in mp3tag
    Others use Audacity which is Free but IMHO much harder work.
    Even cheaper is connecting an amplifier tape out to a laptop line in and capture directly with Audacity. Might be worth trying before buying any extra gadgets.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Even cheaper is connecting an amplifier tape out to a laptop line in and capture directly with Audacity. Might be worth trying before buying any extra gadgets.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    That’s true but the onboard soundcards are often not very good. You definitely get better results via USB.

Something from my “tried but not very good box” - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...e-usb-recorder
    The theory is great but it’s very difficult to set the input level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

I've been considering the Schiit Jil ADC. It has variable input gain.

http://www.schiit.com/products/jil

Quote Originally Posted by Daverz View Post
    It has variable input gain.
    That could come in handy if you are driving from a hot "tape out". Not needed if you can source from "pre-amp out". Just use pre-amp volume control.

Bothers me that the Jil lacks a headphone jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    That could come in handy if you are driving from a hot "tape out". Not needed if you can source from "pre-amp out". Just use pre-amp volume control.

Bothers me that the Jil lacks a headphone jack.
    Yes, I can use one of my pre-amp outputs. But I think the output from the tape out is cleaner (avoids the gain stage of the pre-amp), and 99% of the time the level is fine and doesn't clip, but occasionally a very "hot" record will clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Daverz View Post
    I've been considering the Schiit Jil ADC. It has variable input gain.

http://www.schiit.com/products/jil
    The issue for me with these slightly higher end devices is that they are generally ADC only (as this one is) whereas the astonishingly cheap USB soundcards are frequently 2 way - ADC/DAC.
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

I use a TASCAM USB audio interface, but if I were buying today I'd get this Behringer:
    https://audiosciencereview.com/forum...umc204hd.1658/

It pretty much does it all, well, and for $80.

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    I use a TASCAM USB audio interface, but if I were buying today I'd get this Behringer:
    https://audiosciencereview.com/forum...umc204hd.1658/

It pretty much does it all, well, and for $80.
    That’s really intended for a pair of Condenser Mics. Are you sure the other 2 inputs are line level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    That’s really intended for a pair of Condenser Mics. Are you sure the other 2 inputs are line level?
    The front two inputs are a "combo" jack that accepts XLR and TS. Just run a pair of "RCA-to-TS" cables from your line out:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CPR203

Their UMC202HD is even cheaper.