Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

No playback of .wav-files (LMS 7.9.1 on QNAP TS-469L, QTS 4.3.3.0396)

Hi,

referring to my previous thread in the german part of this forum as well as on squeezebox-forum.de I hope I'll receive help over here...

History:
    Until last week the setup of my QNAP TS-469L NAS was QTS 4.0.7 with LMS 7.7.2. All my ~10.000 audio-files are .wav, tagged with "Tag and Rename". No problems with playback for years.

Actual:
    After I had to completely refresh my NAS I decided to update QTS. No problems within setup.
    First I stayed with LMS 7.7.2, but had to experience, that I wasn't able to playback my .wav-files anymore. I did some tests with .mp3 and .flac, no problems with playback those. So I updated also LMS to actual the version.

But still I cannot playback .wav-files. No matter if tagged or not.
    Error message on my smartphone, that I use to control the transporter is "Problem: Datei kann nicht geöffnet werden für: Dateintitel":
    Name:  Screenshot_2017-12-09-18-26-37(1).jpg
Views: 271
Size:  20.4 KB

Anyone an idea how to solve that?
    Maybe the logs help you guys...

Many thanks in advance & kind regards,
    Marcel

P.S.: Replies in german in the other thread mentioned in the beginning are welcome, too
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Spacehead; 2017-12-10 at 01:18.

What kind of player ?

Have you performed a full,rescan ? Your scanner log does not contain much ?

Do you browse to them via the album or artist or genre menu or “music folder” ? Are there any cue sheets involved ?
    If they are correctly tagged they should show up under artist .

LMS usually transcodes WAV files to FLAC on the fly while playing them .
    Something migth be wrong here ?
    You can maybe bypass the issue by going to your file types settings for WAV files and disbale transcoding and set WAV to native.
    This migth give you playback , but not solving the root cause .

My personal advice would be to convert all the WAV file’s to FLAC unless you need to have them aviable to some other software that does not understand FLAC .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Hi,

and thanks for your response as well as for the support.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    What kind of player ?
    Transporter

Have you performed a full rescan?
    Yes, after the NAS was completely rebuilt including a fresh installation of LMS the old database was gone and thus a complete (re)scan was due.
    I also did a complete rescan (including erasing of the database) this morning - problem NOT solved.

Your scanner log does not contain much?
    I cannot explain. But I'll attach a new Scanner log to the posting that includes the actual rescan.

Do you browse to them via the album or artist or genre menu or “music folder”?
    Music Folder only. If I browse at all. Most time I listen to Musik in Random/Shuffle Play (all files).
    Browsing is fine, no problems on that. Just playback won't work.

Are there any cue sheets involved ? If they are correctly tagged they should show up under artist .
    No, I do not use cuesheets or playlists.

LMS usually transcodes WAV files to FLAC on the fly while playing them. Something migth be wrong here ?
    Never heard of that. If you were right the problem would be even more irrtating as .flac-files do cause no playback-problems.

You can maybe bypass the issue by going to your file types settings for WAV files and disbale transcoding and set WAV to native.
    Maybe I get you wrong, but "native" would be "PCM" as far as I know and that's what I have chosen within the settings:

Name:  Wave.JPG
Views: 227
Size:  10.7 KB

This migth give you playback, but not solving the root cause. My personal advice would be to convert all the WAV file’s to FLAC unless you need to have them aviable to some other software that does not understand FLAC.
    Thanks for the advice, but chosing that way would only be my very last option. After I had no problems at all with playback of my .wav-files for so many years I'd really love to get there again before starting converting so many files.

Kind regards,
    Marcel
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Spacehead View Post
    Hi,

and thanks for your response as well as for the support.

Transporter

Yes, after the NAS was completely rebuilt including a fresh installation of LMS the old database was gone and thus a complete (re)scan was due.
    I also did a complete rescan (including erasing of the database) this morning - problem NOT solved.

I cannot explain. But I'll attach a new Scanner log to the posting that includes the actual rescan.

Music Folder only. If I browse at all. Most time I listen to Musik in Random/Shuffle Play (all files).
    Browsing is fine, no problems on that. Just playback won't work.

No, I do not use cuesheets or playlists.

Never heard of that. If you were right the problem would be even more irrtating as .flac-files do cause no playback-problems.

Maybe I get you wrong, but "native" would be "PCM" as far as I know and that's what I have chosen within the settings:

Name:  Wave.JPG
Views: 227
Size:  10.7 KB

Thanks for the advice, but chosing that way would only be my very last option. After I had no problems at all with playback of my .wav-files for so many years I'd really love to get there again before starting converting so many files.

Kind regards,
    Marcel
    Regarding your WAV settings disable flac/SoX and tr ,it will then use pcm . LMS has always transcoded WAV to flac as default by changing this setting it does not anymore .
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

Regarding your WAV settings disable flac/SoX and tr ,it will then use pcm . LMS has always transcoded WAV to flac as default by changing this setting it does not anymore .
    Good morning,

wow, thanks, that did solve the problem.

Though I still not get it, as in my previous setup flac/sox was enabled:
    Name:  flacsox.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  10.4 KB

Anyway, kind regards from germany,
    Marcel

Good morning,

wow, thanks, that did solve the problem.

Though I still not get it, as in my previous setup flac/sox was enabled:
    Name:  flacsox.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  10.4 KB

Anyway, kind regards from germany,
    Marcel
    have not had any time to sift trough your log . but it indicates that SoX is not working , so problem is bypassed not really fixed

try to grab a log while trying to play such a file ?

Nope, don't think this will give much new info as the error message on the smartphone (as well as in the Transporter's display) comes almost instantly.
    And so far no error messages pointing on flac/sox in the log... I had those error messaged concerning facl/sox in my previous setup (LMS 7.7.2), but since I went for 7.9.1 the log is clean concerning that.

Hi again,
    maybe it's a stupid question, but does FLAC/SOX come with the LMS installer package or do I have to install those manually? I wonder, because it seems that e.g. lame has to be added manually...

It's so many years that I setup LMS for the last time, that I simply cannot remember...

So if its the same with FLAC/SOX as with lame please do me the favour and provide info, how to install FLAC/SOX/lame on my QNAP-NAS.
    I just searched in the net, but didn't succeed (due to wrong keywords?).

Marcel
    Last edited by Spacehead; 2017-12-12 at 02:20. Reason: Spelling

Hi again,
    maybe it's a stupid question, but does FLAC/SOX come with the LMS installer package or do I have to install those manually? I wonder, because it seems that e.g. lame has to be added manually...

It's so many years that I setup LMS for the last time, that I simply cannot remember...

So if its the same with FLAC/SOX as with lame please do me the favour and provide info, how to install FLAC/SOX/lame on my QNAP-NAS.
    I just searched in the net, but didn't succeed (due to wrong keywords?).

Marcel
    FLAC and SoX are two executables that should be installad and delivered by LMS .

LAME is separat due to licensing issues ,you have to provide that yourself .

If an option is greyed out it suggest that the corresponding helper app does not exist .

However you do have the FLAC and SoX option but they migth not work for some reason unknown to me ( or frankly over my head ).
    Can be related to running LMS on a NAS which always presents some issues . Someone familiar with QNAP migth know.

Things to test .

Play a 24/192 kHz flac file to your transporter ?

There are settings for the logging in LMS , you can get much more details if you upp the log settings for the parts about transcoding .