Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this setup possable?

I want to play music ... Primarily Pandora like a squeezebox.
    Will this layout work?
    Raspberry Pi 3
    piCorePlayer3.22-Audio
    |
    3.5mm Audio
    | |
    | Aker 2-in-1 3.5mm Bluetooth Audio Transmitter/Receiver
    | |
    | Bluetooth
    | |
    | LG Electronics HBS-700W Stereo Bluetooth Headset
    |
    WIFI
    |
    Fire HD 8 (Previous Generation - 6th)
    orange squeeze app

Is it possable? Is there a better way? using RPi3 & Fire or perhaps a cell phone?

Don't see why not. The rpi3 has Bluetooth though so you may be able to pair the headset direct. Bluetooth is becoming a generic audio link and the squeezebox ecosystem is lacking, in general.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Quote Originally Posted by Dan benDan View Post
    I want to play music ... Primarily Pandora like a squeezebox.
    Will this layout work?
    Raspberry Pi 3
    piCorePlayer3.22-Audio
    |
    3.5mm Audio
    | |
    | Aker 2-in-1 3.5mm Bluetooth Audio Transmitter/Receiver
    | |
    | Bluetooth
    | |
    | LG Electronics HBS-700W Stereo Bluetooth Headset
    |
    WIFI
    |
    Fire HD 8 (Previous Generation - 6th)
    orange squeeze app

Is it possable? Is there a better way? using RPi3 & Fire or perhaps a cell phone?
    I also think it would work but might not be the best solution.
    I am assuming Pandora via LMS ?
    You mentioned cell phone - you could put something on the cellphone that will act as a SB player / controller and connect your headphones to that - there are apps for both Android and iOS.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

I listed the parts that I have. I havent been able to get Pandora sound to work

I have been using the above setup working with LMS on my laptop but I want to build one player for my daughter and two for my granddaughters and need to make the whole thing self-contained and (for the Granddaughters at least) output to headphones. I can get the Rpi to work via the Bluetooth transmitter to play music located on my laptop (contolled by my Fire HD) to bluetooth headphones but I can NOT get Pandora sound to work and most of the time the controls dont work properly. I would be happy to get the Pi setup (without a laptop ) to just play Pandora. It would be nice if I could put some of their MP3s on a thumbdrive but that is not a show-stopper.
    I am hopeing that someone has gotten Pandora to work using piCorePlayer.
    Pandora is the paid version.

Will WIFI and Bluetooth both work at the same time on the RPi3?

Will they work with piCorePlayer?

Got it working!

I got the parts all working with a 64GB thumb drive with my music on it.

I can play Pandora and my music no problem.

Warning ... do NOT turn it off by turning off the power!
    I did and had to rebuild the thumb drive. Go to the Corplayer control screen (I use Silk browser) and hit Shutdown first.

The WIFI transmitter is a pain to get connected to my ear phones.
    I would like to connect via the control screen (Silk).

So:
    Will WIFI and Bluetooth both work at the same time on the RPi3?
    Will they work with and be controlled by piCorePlayer?

How to Get the Host an Player on a specific device to connect?

Well I now have my devices working with my Synology DS209 NAS.

Device1 has player1 and host1 which is connected to DS209File1
    Device2 has player2 and host2 which is connected to DS209File2
    DS209 has no player and host DS209host which is connected to DS209FileA
    laptop has laptopplayer and host Laptophost which is connected to laptopFileA
    firehd has firehdplayer which is associated with DS209host which is connected to DS209FileA
    I have trouble associating player1 with host1 and player2 with host2 etc.

I am trying to control all players via my win10 laptop(using Logitech Media Server with SqueezePlay and my kindle firehd (using Orange Squeeze with SqueezePlayer) .

Sometimes I wind up with Player1 associated with host2 or player2 associated with DS209host.
    I can fix this on my kindle firehd by playing with the Orange Squeeze synchronize control.

This is a pain and not feasible if my family members each have their own device.

Is there any way to "lock this down"?

Otherwise everything works fine.

On another note ... the output from the audio jack is OK for WIFI but my daughter would like to have better sounding music ... she would like to have a fixed setting with a quality set of speakers. Any suggestions as to the current easy (cheap) way to get better sound? It doesn't require studio level but equivalent to the EQ radio/squeezebox quality would be nice.

Audio jack on laptop? Jack is 3.5 mm stereo mini-plug (headphone) jack? Currently using laptop built in speakers? Do you own any SB hardware players?

Just buy decent computer speakers to plug into audio jack. You'll need to spend at least $100 to get decent audio quality speakers.
    Better yet, buy used SB3 and connect that to decent speakers (like AudioEngine A2's).

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Audio jack on laptop? Jack is 3.5 mm stereo mini-plug (headphone) jack? Currently using laptop built in speakers? Do you own any SB hardware players?

Just buy decent computer speakers to plug into audio jack. You'll need to spend at least $100 to get decent audio quality speakers.
    Better yet, buy used SB3 and connect that to decent speakers (like AudioEngine A2's).
    The jack is on Raspberry Pi 3.
    I do not have any SB players.

The only area I need hardware help with is the output of the RPi3.

Most of the info I find is years old and I was hoping some well informed member could point me in the direction of current state of the art technology. I have started looking at things called "DAC" and "HDMI to SPDIF converter " and "HAT" and "i2s device". I will need something to convert the sound to play audio files at higher definitions (48/24, 88/24, 96/24, 176/24, 192/24) I don't really know what those numbers indicate ... I assume the higher the better but I don't know what will be high enough. I need an amplifier and speakers and I realize they should match the audio output quality but now I'm getting into areas I know nothing about. I guess I'm asking for an expert to help me make up a shopping list.

If I get this
    https://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-A...ne+a2+speakers
    That seems to take care of the amplifier and speakers so all I need is the hardware to convert the sound. Something that works well with the Raspberry Pi 3 & piCorePlayer3.22 (Info on a case would be appreciated also).

I know I'm asking for a lot but at 74 years old I don't have lots of time left and perhaps someone will see this and take the time to point me in the right direction.

Never used RPi3 myself, not knowing all specs or limitations .....

Simplest setup looks like HDMI out to speakers. Problem is most (any?) speakers out there that accept HDMI input are sound bar sets, really designed for TV usage.

But, some of those sound bars do sound pretty darn good. We're not talking an audiophile usage scenario in what you require so this may be a decent and simple option to look into.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan benDan View Post

The only area I need hardware help with is the output of the RPi3.

If I get this
    https://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-A...ne+a2+speakers
    That seems to take care of the amplifier and speakers so all I need is the hardware to convert the sound. Something that works well with the Raspberry Pi 3 & piCorePlayer3.22 (Info on a case would be appreciated also).

I know I'm asking for a lot but at 74 years old I don't have lots of time left and perhaps someone will see this and take the time to point me in the right direction.
    No expert me and 3 years younger than yerself

A completely self contained unit can be built on a rpi3b, using picoreplayer and LMS using something like this

http://iqaudio.co.uk/hats/8-pi-dac-0712411999643.html

This is a good reliable Dac-hat for a raspberry pi.

It also features a separeate headphone output which is of better quality than the basic one on the rpi3.

The audio outputs can be connected to an integrated amplifier or to Active Speakers (in the case of the latter, care should be exercised with the volume control)

I have used a similar setup with Acive Mackie Speakers (which feature an auto-sensing switch on facility) Speakers and rpi all plugged into the same power bar, switched on and off at the wall, configured to play a favourite radio station at switch on, works very well).

Ronnie

Edit: IQaudio also do cases