Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ok...

Since he only wrotes "Ubuntu" you would think of Ubuntu Desktop and me on Ubunti Server.
    For someone that just wants to enjoy their music on LMS
    Those should go the Windows Way... *lol*

Must be a reason to run a lms on linux on a Windows System.

Takeaway: don't expect your OVA vm files to transparently work elsewhere, even when you bring the exact same external drive to the table...
    And that isnt fixed by just using another "distribution" its a "design" challenge...

Quote Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
    3 things don't migrate well:

1. Network configuration. Go for bridged. It'll save you a lot of issues with LMS. You have to set that up in the VM management sw, not the vm itself.
    2. Music directory visibility to LMS. I have no idea why that is. I would have assumed if you have the same NTFS drive connected to the exact same vm running ubuntu, hey, the fastab stuff should work right away when you connect the external NTFS drive. But that is not so. You'll have to mess about with your fstab again.
    3. Network accessibility of your music collection aka Samba configuration. Gone too when you migrate the vm. Odd. I like to have that because I tend to rip new CDs on my Win10 dbPoweramp app, and then easily drop them into the music directory (owned by the Ubuntu VM).
    I don't use VMWare and I don't like Ubuntu all that much, but in general:

1. Yes bridge the guest to a physical network card on the host, and set the guest to DHCP. Make sure the hypervisor assigns the same MAC address to the guest across different VMWare installs, otherwise the ubuntu machine is going to create "eth1" where "eth0" was formerly used. (If you run into that, go to /etc/udev/rules.d/, remove file 70-persistent-net.rules and reboot. The network card will be called eth0 again.)
    Same problem if the Ubuntu guest uses the so-called Predictable Network Interface Names. Actually the problem is possibly worse since there are different naming schemes for PNIN... In the guest I would try disabling that junk or use the ludicrous "device name is enxMAC_address" policy, along with specifying the same MAC in VMWare across installs.
    Now the guest normally will only change network IP address across installs, e.g. IP 192.168.0.45 in one install, 10.240.0.150 in another, etc.

2. I understand this is a physical USB drive exported by VMWare to the guest? It is quite possible that the device path/name inside the guest changes from install to install. However a mount in fstab that would use higher-level information like UUID= (will change if you reformat the partition) or LABEL= (not available on all filesystems, ok on NTFS AFAIK) should work across instances.
    If the drive is exported as an USB device (and not as, say, a SATA device) then in addition the guest might feel like being smart, mount the volume to /media/somename and disregard your fstab entry. I would export the physical device as a SATA/SCSI device if possible, otherwise expel from the guest OS any pesky "USB mount helper"

3. If the SMB shares use names, e.g \\DESKTOP\music or \\MYVM\newstuff then there shouldn't be a problem. If sharing/mounting by IP address, there could be a problem across installs?
    Last edited by epoch1970; 2017-12-18 at 12:40.
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Quote Originally Posted by epoch1970 View Post
    3. If the SMB shares use names, e.g \\DESKTOP\music or \\MYVM\newstuff then there shouldn't be a problem. If sharing/mounting by IP address, there could be a problem across installs?
    To use e.g \\DESKTOP\music - you'll need an active local dns Server.....
    Most of the homeusers / people who think they need "that" sort of howto didnt know nothing about setting up a DNS Server.

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    To use e.g \\DESKTOP\music - you'll need an active local dns Server.....
    Most of the homeusers / people who think they need "that" sort of howto didnt know nothing about setting up a DNS Server.
    WINS name resolution will take care of that, it’s built in Windows machines. No need for a DNS server.
    (Not that it's superior in any way, but at some point in time MS thought they could own networking and the internet. They created WINS and it’s still there, AFAIK.)
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

This stuff is entirely why I suggested hgfs mount in the first couple of posts...

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Quote Originally Posted by epoch1970 View Post
    WINS name resolution will take care of that, it’s built in Windows machines. No need for a DNS server.
    [OT]
    Wins has "just the same (in this case)" as DNS" - to use it youll need to setup a Winsserver with a static IP for all the clients.
    To activate wins in these days you'll need more steps than DNS - eg. The Winsserversettings in your NIC IP Configuration is only in the extended Parameters available.
    [/OT]

Yes my bad, it's not WINS, it's in the regular Netbios protocol.
    Works via broadcasts over the LAN.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ution-and-wins
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...solution-order

Looks like the OP left the building anyway. He's probably right.

I have been reading the different suggestions with great interest.

There are man ways to skin this particular cat indeed. :-)

The main lesson is that it isn't as straight-forward as I thought it would be, as evidenced by all the replies, too.

I have decided to create an entirely new VM over the holidays using some of the advice in here. Hopefully that makes the VM more versatile.

Happy Holidays, Linux brethren :-)
    ...pablo
    Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 14 Pro) running Ubuntu 16.04 + LMS 7.9
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> Totem Element Fire
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado PS500e/Shure 1540

FYI for now I have disabled the VM and simply spun up the Windows LMS app - it's far less trouble right now.

That said I will most definitely re-create an Ubuntu VM with better built-in portability, but it will require a little research. :-) Fact of the matter is that the old VM has been very temperamental in the new environment, with shared directories crapping out, mysteriously changed permissions and so on. So I'll start from scratch.

Biggest issue for sure is the fact that shared, networked directories disappear without rhyme or reason. When I tried to fix that LMS stopped working altogether, so it was time to kill the VM and start from scratch. It's bizarre because I distinctly remember how pleased I was with getting the VM to work so smoothly on the first install. I had never realized how poor documentation on Ubuntu, fstab and samba is. Guess it justifies the fact I am currently getting a Linux Foundation administrator certification (just for fun, not for career reasons). :-D

...p
    Last edited by pablolie; 2017-12-27 at 16:40. Reason: typo
    ...pablo
    Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 14 Pro) running Ubuntu 16.04 + LMS 7.9
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> Totem Element Fire
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado PS500e/Shure 1540