Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

controlling balance

Is there any way of controlling Volume Balance on the SB3. I seem to recall in the early days of Squeezebox you could control it via the remote.
    The reason I am asking is that I just hooked up a D Class amp to a SB3 and it does not appear to have any balance controls.
    I am using Linux Mint 18.3 and LMS 7.9(recent nightly)
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1518987734 @ Sun Feb 18 22:55:43 CET 2018
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8 Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.22.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    SB Classic connected by Ethernet to FX Audio D802C amp and Sinclair bookshelf speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

Quote Originally Posted by SlimChances View Post
    Is there any way of controlling Volume Balance on the SB3. I seem to recall in the early days of Squeezebox you could control it via the remote.
    The reason I am asking is that I just hooked up a D Class amp to a SB3 and it does not appear to have any balance controls.
    I am using Linux Mint 18.3 and LMS 7.9(recent nightly)
    I donĺt believe there is. It shouldnĺt be necessary unless you have a really odd speaker placement.

I think you can do it with piCorePlayer on Pi by twiddling the Alsa Settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I don’t believe there is. It shouldn’t be necessary unless you have a really odd speaker placement.

I think you can do it with piCorePlayer on Pi by twiddling the Alsa Settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The speakers are on a bookshelf. One speaker is closer to where I sit than the other, I just wanted to compensate for this. Not a big deal. I wonder why Sean Adams(?) removed the fade and balance options they were useful features.
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1518987734 @ Sun Feb 18 22:55:43 CET 2018

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    SB Classic connected by Ethernet to FX Audio D802C amp and Sinclair bookshelf speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

The speakers are on a bookshelf. One speaker is closer to where I sit than the other, I just wanted to compensate for this. Not a big deal. I wonder why Sean Adams(?) removed the fade and balance options they were useful features.
    IIRC They were done in hardware in SB1 as well as Bass & Treble and these features were never available in later players using IP3K processor such as SB2 except Boom which has an additional DSP which enabled some audio processing such as audio "spacing".

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    IIRC They were done in hardware in SB1 as well as Bass & Treble and these features were never available in later players using IP3K processor such as SB2 except Boom which has an additional DSP which enabled some audio processing such as audio "spacing".
    That makes sense, but would have been a nice feature to keep in the newer models. I realize most people wouldn't need it though

Two SB Radios wireless

That makes sense, but would have been a nice feature to keep in the newer models. I realize most people wouldn't need it though
    The IPK3 processor was a network processor (i.e. optimised for packets and protocols and used in bridges, router, AP etc) and not a DSP.

I was thinking SoX in a custom-config could be used to do this so long as the balance change is fixed, but don't see a simple "balance" switch in the SoX manual. Maybe split the channels, gain one side, and recombine? Of course, would only apply to sources from LMS.