Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Transporter heat

Hi all,
    I recently bought a "new" (never used) transporter on eBay, that works fine, and I'm a little bit surprised because it heats up a little bit in standby mode.
    I mean, it's not really hot, it's just a little bit warm, as my other gears stay always cold when not in use. Is it usual ?
    Thanks !
    Last edited by Antoniop; 2017-11-28 at 04:44.
    LMS 7.9.0
    on Linux Mageia 5 and RPI 3
    1 SB3, 2 radio, 1 touch, 1 transporter SE
    Plugins : Trackstat, Smartmix, MusicIP, ...

I don't think any of them really go "off" in standby, it's a computer running a Linux kernel, so power consumption will be essentially identical when off as when on.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

The transporter is not Linux, it's a embedded system-on-a-chip, the [Ubicom IP3K](http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...are_comparison).

To answer the OP, yes, the Transporter is always "on", and uses a few watts. Mine is always a bit warm, but it's an un-vented case design, so that's somewhat expected.

Ok so maybe it doesn't use a Linux kernel, but it runs some software on a CPU in the same way (except it's called firmware because you have to flash it to a ROM chip!). The Touch and Radio both use a Linux kernel, of that I'm sure. Principle is the same, just the names are different..

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Thanks for the answers
    That's seems logical to be a little hot then.
    It's because the transporter in my house is in a quite completely closed cabinet so I wouldn't want it to be inappropriately hot. Moreover, the case has no apertures on the side, as far as I saw.

That's fine then,
    Thanks !
    LMS 7.9.0

Mine never gets hot. On the left side, it's barely warm in the winter and gets a little warm in the summer. I suppose if it's in a closed cabinet (particularly if there is no ventilation at all) it's going to heat up more.

I have a PS3 that's in another cabinet with a door and it gets super hot (even when off) if I close my cabinet. So I have to leave the door open.
    Last edited by Fizbin; 2017-11-29 at 15:41.

Mine is in a cabinet with a a bit of circulation (the front panel is wire mesh). If I touch the transporter, it is very mildly warm. Not even approaching what I would call even very warm much less hot. But it's not simply cold (like some equipment that is truly off).

p.s. it's been in this same cabinet, running 24/7 for about 10 years.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by Fizbin View Post
    Mine never gets hot. On the left side, it's barely warm in the winter and gets a little warm in the summer. I suppose if it's in a closed cabinet (particularly if there is no ventilation at all) it's going to heat up more.

I have a PS3 that gets super hot (even when off) if I close my cabinet. So I have to leave the door open.
    Hi,
    Thanks for the thoughts, I suppose I should keep the door open or arrange some more ventilation.
    LMS 7.9.0