Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've used the Topping VX2 as a USB DAC/AMP for PiCore in the past. It has additional switchable optical and RCA inputs.

I used it to enhance TV sound and to listen to LMS Music and Radio.

I now use HDMI/Jivelite from the PiCore and a single optical TV output to the Topping and external TV Speakers.

Very versatile and well built.
    Music Store & VPN Server: Synology DS215J NAS
    Home Server/Player:
    LMS 7.9.2 on Pi 3B piCorePlayer v3.50 Server/IQAudio DAC+/Amp+
    Homeplug LAN Players: Squeezelite on Windows 10 PC
    UPNP Wifi Players: Samsung Soundbar, Chromecast Audio/Video, Revo Super-Connect Radio, GGMM-E5 portable
    VPN Mobile & Car Player: SqueezeControl/SqueezePlayer on Android Phone

So here's a question: the company that developed the T amp went under a decade ago.

Where are all the "class T" chips coming from in 2017? Checking the web site of Cirrus Logic, which bought the intellectual property of Tripath, shows no sign of the chips being available new.

And yes, they're pretty wonderful. I have a few of them, most especially the Trends Audio 10.1, which was an audiophile darling several years ago. I use it in my basement system, where it drives a pair of PSB B25s reasonably well.

s.
    Last edited by satkinsn; 2017-11-28 at 18:04.

I'm running a few.

I started with these 15w boards
    and was surprisingly impressed. Cheap bare boards, but sound quality is surprisingly good and unbeatable for the price.

Now I've switched to a higher power 100w board like this style. They seem slightly warmer. They do feel slightly less refined than the 15w board, but the extra volume control allowed me to level the volumes across multiple rooms easier so worth the trade off. Still the quality is astonishingly good for the price and I think the extra powere of the 100w option would probably be a better fit with the speakers you are trying to drive.

For what it's worth, I've added a ú5 DAC and a ú5 PiZero to each board to make stand alone units for each room of the house. It's astounding you can get this quality sound in a standalone player for under ú25.

Seems likely that "class D" was not copyrighted by them, only their own implementation was protected, hence the clones. They are the future of amplification in the same way that digital cameras eradicated film...

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Quote Originally Posted by satkinsn View Post
    So here's a question: the company that developed the T amp went under a decade ago.

Where are all the "class T" chips coming from in 2017? Checking the web site of Cirrus Logic, which bought the intellectual property of Tripath, shows no sign of the chips being available new.

And yes, they're pretty wonderful. I have a few of them, most especially the Trends Audio 10.1, which was an audiophile darling several years ago. I use it in my basement system, where it drives a pair of PSB B25s reasonably well.

s.
    There is obviously plenty of Tripath chips still around all of Hifimediy.com s "T" series amps use them as well as others
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLiteX,PiCorePlayer x3,Wandboard
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U1 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLiteX
    Music: 522GB,1660 albums with 23087 songs by 5204 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

All of the HiFiBerry Amps and the like are Class D aren't they ?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    All of the HiFiBerry Amps and the like are Class D aren't they ?
    Apparently (via google) the HifiBerry use TI's TAS5756M chip which is quoted as a class D

Of course the Tripath was a Class D with extra enhancements others may have reverse engineered the "enhancements" so who knows whether these re the equivalent of class T or not.

For anyone who's interested here's the Tripath patent https://www.google.com/patents/US5777512

Also looks like the patent has expired
    Last edited by Jeff07971; 2017-11-29 at 04:05. Reason: added patent expired
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLiteX,PiCorePlayer x3,Wandboard
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U1 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLiteX
    Music: 522GB,1660 albums with 23087 songs by 5204 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

"Class T" was just a fancy name for tripath's class D stuff. Class D is much older than tripath.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953